Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't stop rushing

User Info Menu

Default I can't stop rushing

Sooo, I notice that I never get off of the metronome as in loose the beat altogether, but I notice that I rush when I play and than I hear it and fall back rather than sitting in a pocket. My snare hand is either a little early or a little late, my kick usually rushes. I have good ears, so I notice very easily, but I have trouble correcting. What should I do?
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

Default Re: I can't stop rushing

Quote Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
    Sooo, I notice that I never get off of the metronome as in loose the beat altogether, but I notice that I rush when I play and than I hear it and fall back rather than sitting in a pocket. My snare hand is either a little early or a little late, my kick usually rushes. I have good ears, so I notice very easily, but I have trouble correcting. What should I do?
    Keep practicing. It will get easier. I use a metronome extensively at band practice and if I hear the band falling behind or rushing ahead of my meter, I'll fall in line with the rest of the band even though they are off on the tempo. I'll gradually increase or decrease the meter until we catch up to the metronome or I'll wait for a rest in the measure and then continue playing to the click.

In my opinion, it may be discerning to a drummer to leave the tempo of the metronome while still keeping time with the rest of the band. As the drummer, I feel our job is to guide the band back into the correct tempo even if they diviate from the click. That in itself can get a bit daunting for a drummer with novice experience playing to a metronome. Good luck and keeping practicing. It will get easier as time goes by.

User Info Menu

How long have you been playing the drums?

User Info Menu

I have been playing piano for my whole life, I went to college for jazz guitar and have been playing drums for almost 2 years. I never really lose track of the tempo that much, besides switching between triple and duple meter, I'm just not anywhere near tight enough to cut a session. I'm not playing in a band right now, but people ask me to record tracks for they're songs and I really wish I was tight enough on every instrument.
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

Slow down. You're still in the process of training your muscle memory, just like you did with piano scales, guitar fingerings, etc. Work slowly until you can lock it in and maintain consistent time and meter, then increase tempo slowly until you have it down across the entire spectrum of tempos.

User Info Menu

I have been playing piano for my whole life, I went to college for jazz guitar and have been playing drums for almost 2 years. I never really lose track of the tempo that much, besides switching between triple and duple meter, I'm just not anywhere near tight enough to cut a session. I'm not playing in a band right now, but people ask me to record tracks for they're songs and I really wish I was tight enough on every instrument.
    I'm certainly no expert, but, at two years it might just be a matter of putting in the time and practicing. Keep at it, it will come.

User Info Menu

Metronomes,....................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................then close the window.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Metronomes,....................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................then close the window.
    I've seen all of your youtubes vids. There were times you could of used one that was thrown out so shut the window will ya??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I've seen all of your youtubes vids. There were times you could of used one that was thrown out so shut the window will ya??

Late8, do I look like I'm trying to keep a steady time with my videos?

User Info Menu

When your finger flying and gliding over your drums during your solo's, you don't need a metronome, right? Whatever your creating has it's own tempo created by you and fits whatever you're doing.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

If you want to tighten that up, play with a metronome, but trying playing something like permutation on the bass drum.

eg. Play a hi hat on eighth notes, snare on 2 + 4, then move the kick around to quarter notes, then to sixteenths, eighth notes... so play a straight bar of kicks on the quarters, then a bar of kicks on the "e's", then kick on the + and finally on the "a's".

Pay close attention to not rushing the bass drum into any of those subdivisions, set your metronome to play sixteenths and play it slow like.. 70-80 to start.

I REALLY noticed my bass drum was off/rushed when I started working on the book "New Breed".
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

2 years is about the time when everyone realizes this and seems to catch on to keeping a tempo.

Being the tempo and playing to the tempo are different things.

Slow down. and just feel the tempo, you HAVE GOT TO own it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    When your finger flying and gliding over your drums during your solo's, you don't need a metronome, right? Whatever your creating has it's own tempo created by you and fits whatever you're doing.

That's pretty much the size of it.

95% of my playing time was playing "time". If I played a solo, I had to be in time leading up to it, and bring it back into time coming out of it. The time in between was "my time".

When I do the videos, the last thing I'm thinking is, "am I in time", because I really don't care. All I care about is if someone gets something out of what I do. If 1 person gets a idea from me, then I'm doing my job.

User Info Menu

Metrodome out the window LOL never had any use for one. I found they confuse me more than they help. Some swear by them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    If you want to tighten that up, play with a metronome, but trying playing something like permutation on the bass drum.

eg. Play a hi hat on eighth notes, snare on 2 + 4, then move the kick around to quarter notes, then to sixteenths, eighth notes... so play a straight bar of kicks on the quarters, then a bar of kicks on the "e's", then kick on the + and finally on the "a's".

Pay close attention to not rushing the bass drum into any of those subdivisions, set your metronome to play sixteenths and play it slow like.. 70-80 to start.

I REALLY noticed my bass drum was off/rushed when I started working on the book "New Breed".
    I actually have the New Breed book. I think I always played with the click to fast to really fine tune my playing when practicing with it. I'm gonna try it at 70bpm or slower. I was frustrated with my playing yesterday and ended up just practicing basic rudiments at 60bpm, I already feel my left hand getting more alined with my right. I'm gonna practice my bass drum like you suggested now.

I'm gonna go marry my metronome. I'm up for more tips
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

Besides "The New Breed" book (which is a great book itself), has anyone got you working through some of the essential basic books such as George Lawrence Stone's "Stick Control" or Ted Reed's "Syncopation" with a metronome?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The Metronome is god, and not only will I play to it, but I will make you play to it also. Too much frustrating experience with guitar players who were all over the place with their tempos.

Just recorded an EP for the country band I joined. Vocalist plays acoustic guitar and has trouble keeping tempo. He has no experience recording, and does not practice with a click or metronome.

I recorded drums to a metronome. He and the bass player laid down their parts in a separate session. Then he did his vocals in another session. While he was doing his vocals, the engineer (also our lead guitar player) told me that he said something to the effect of, "there's something off beat with [Nechre's] drumming..." Fortunately, the engineer said, no, he's 100 percent on the click.

Good thing I wasn't there, because I probably would've flew off the handle. I'm the one with recording experience, and not only that, I played to a click. And I'm off beat? Typical guitar player Bull.

Moral of the story: You want to know how to get good on the metronome? Play with the metronome and keep playing with the metronome. Record yourself playing to the metronome, and then play it back, see where you sped up and slowed down. Practice those areas religiously. Record again. Track your progress. It's a slow process, but you will become a machine if you put the time into it.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Q: Why did Tchaikovsky always play ahead of the beat?

A: Cause he was Russian
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    The Metronome is god, and not only will I play to it, but I will make you play to it also. Too much frustrating experience with guitar players who were all over the place with their tempos.

Just recorded an EP for the country band I joined. Vocalist plays acoustic guitar and has trouble keeping tempo. He has no experience recording, and does not practice with a click or metronome.

I recorded drums to a metronome. He and the bass player laid down their parts in a separate session. Then he did his vocals in another session. While he was doing his vocals, the engineer (also our lead guitar player) told me that he said something to the effect of, "there's something off beat with [Nechre's] drumming..." Fortunately, the engineer said, no, he's 100 percent on the click.

Good thing I wasn't there, because I probably would've flew off the handle. I'm the one with recording experience, and not only that, I played to a click. And I'm off beat? Typical guitar player Bull.

Moral of the story: You want to know how to get good on the metronome? Play with the metronome and keep playing with the metronome. Record yourself playing to the metronome, and then play it back, see where you sped up and slowed down. Practice those areas religiously. Record again. Track your progress. It's a slow process, but you will become a machine if you put the time into it.
    Oh yes, don't you love it when they say that.....and you're the one with more experience? Sounded like one of my old bands a number of years back....fortunate thing was the engineer also backed me up in that situation, in fact we've still got a good rapport to this day, as we keep in touch via Facebook and I had done a couple of other demos at his place with some other bands that needed some solid drums and percussion....he was the one that pulled me into those projects in the first place!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have issues coming out of a fill, I swear someone drops the metronome 20bpm... Crazy! I groove pretty smooth and my fills are smooth all be it pretty basic but playing seamless between the two is a bit of a problem, especially if I'm trying to be creative. It's at this point that freakin metronome starts laughing at me... piece of ****! I play with a band so I know I need to play along with that evil thing as much as possible.

It's getting better with time tho. Just like everything else, you can't see evolution day to day, but it happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Some swear by them.
    Yes, this is true Gilles. For those of us who swear by the metronome, we all can speak to each other in one common terminology and it's called BPM (beats per minute). thepilgrimsdream, MattDrums, SpatzST, Drumbledore, Nechre, KCJones and myself can literally feel the difference between 80bpm verses 100bpm. This common thread allows us drummers who use metronomes to able to share advice and knowledge among the drumming community like this thread.

My personal analogy I use when comparing a drummer who uses a metronome verse one who doesn't is like driving a car without a speedometer. You can't tell me how fast or slow your car can go without one.
    Last edited by late8; 02-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, this is true Gilles. For those of us who swear by the metronome, we all can speak to each other in one common terminology and it's called BPM (beats per minute). thepilgrimsdream, MattDrums, SpatzST, Drumbledore, Nechre, KCJones and myself can literally feel the difference between 80bpm verses 100bpm. This common thread allows us drummers who use metronomes to able to share advice and knowledge among the drumming community like this thread.

My personal analogy I use when comparing a drummer who uses a metronome verse one who doesn't is like driving a car without a speedometer. You can't tell me how fast or slow your car can go without one.
    I love your explanation Rich, because it's simply something that most people would never think about - including me. Well said.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I understand what you are saying, and, as a friend I certainly don't want to argue with you about this, but, my question to you would be:

How did so many drummers, from Buddy Rich all the way down to me survive playing for 40+ years without ever using 1. That includes being in the studio where I p***** engineers off no end. My dime, my way, is what I told them, and as I've said before, I've yet to see anybody carry a nome into a club to see if a band is in perfect time, and if a song starts at 80 BPM and finishes at 82, nobody cares.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I understand what you are saying, and, as a friend I certainly don't want to argue with you about this, but, my question to you would be:

How did so many drummers, from Buddy Rich all the way down to me survive playing for 40+ years without ever using 1. That includes being in the studio where I p***** engineers off no end. My dime, my way, is what I told them, and as I've said before, I've yet to see anybody carry a nome into a club to see if a band is in perfect time, and if a song starts at 80 BPM and finishes at 82, nobody cares.
    Kind of with Rick on this one. I use a metronome occasionally only when practicing rudiments. If as a drummer, your tempo changes enought that its noticable and you can't keep the tempo without one after you've been at it for a while.............then mayby being a lead guitarist is your calling. I don't think you need a metronome to know the difference between 80 and 100 bpm. If you're that detached from your playing, there are deeper issues at play.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 02-08-2013 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

i bought a metronome in the beginning.
    returned it the next day, not for me.
    i listen to music through earbuds instead.
    lots of pros use a click, lots dont. depends on what your playing.

if i ever play like a loop ill burn my drums!!

i would like to have a Throne Thumper though!!
    Last edited by kyle102565; 02-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.