Thread: Paul McCartney

User Info Menu

Default Paul McCartney

Drummer: Paul McCartney.
    Main Bands: The Beatles, Wings, Solo.
    Main Styles: Pop, Rock, Experimental.
    Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Piano, Vocals, Drums, Various others.

Brief Summary Although he was known as the bassist and one of the main vocalists for The Beatles, he also played drums on several songs during his time in the band. Songs he played were: Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, The Ballad of John and Yoko, Why Don't We Do it in the Road, and Wild Honey Pie.
    Last edited by SparrowBeat; 02-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paul McCartney

Nice pick Sparrow.
    Not many peeps know he played kit on some Beatles tracks, and he's not too shabby either.
    You just have to listen to his first solo album to get a grip on what he could do technically.
    He's a very talented man, that's for sure.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Nice pick Sparrow.
    Not many peeps know he played kit on some Beatles tracks, and he's not too shabby either.
    You just have to listen to his first solo album to get a grip on what he could do technically.
    He's a very talented man, that's for sure.
    Thanks man. I had no idea until a few years ago. He definitely is. I saw him in concert last summer and he shook the house.

User Info Menu

Towards the end of the Beatles recording career, none of them were really talking to each other, so they didn't spend a lot of time in the studio together.
    So naturally Paul was the one who would stay behind at the end of recording sessions and do tracks that needed doing (for his songs especially) - hence playing kit.
    He is also a fantastic piano player as well as a wonderful bassist.
    Actually, if you listen to the bass line of Come Together (opening track of Abbey Road), and then listen to the bass line of Give it Away (Chilli peppers) - it's exactly the same.
    That's testament to his influence on bands of today. He has touched everyone in one way or another.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Paul McCartney is a very multi instrument player. I saw a video of a song he made back in the 80's where he played each instrument to his song " Coming UP " and did a great job. You can see this on youtube.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-15-2013 at 07:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Well I'll be the first to admit I didn't know he drummed.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Yes he did on some of the Beatle songs.

"Back In The USSR," "Dear Prudence," "The Ballad Of John & Yoko," "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?," & "Wild Honey Pie." Four of those songs are from The White Album, Ringo left the band for a short period of time during the recording of The White Album and Paul took over the drums while he was gone.
    Paul also often gave instruction to Ringo on how to play the drum parts. A good example of that is the drum part in "Ticket To Ride. Now you know.

User Info Menu

I believe that on "Back in the USSR", Paul, George, and John all played drums on it, George and John's parts are just low in the mix. I remember reading an interview or something with Ringo where he said he was lucky to be in a band with three frustrated drummers who could only play in one style. Looks like that was true.

User Info Menu

Cool..didn't know Paul could play drum either!