Thread: First time in the studio - what advice do you have?

User Info Menu

Default First time in the studio - what advice do you have?

I've actually done a lot of recording as a guitarist, but next month is going to be my first time recording as a drummer. What do I need to know?

For example, how far in advance should I change my heads, and are there any guidelines for head choice that might make a difference for recording?

I don't even know what else to ask! :-) What advice do y'all have for a newbie?

User Info Menu

Default Re: First time in the studio - what advice do you have?

Most important start practicing playing with a click now.
    Playing wise concentrate on consistant strokes.
    Make sure your gear is in tune and completely free from squeeks and rattles.

User Info Menu

Thanks Redneck, all great points!

User Info Menu

Drums are usually recorded first so be ready and warmed up to play immediately. When my band recorded our EP I created midi files using a free tablature program (Tux guitar) of the songs with guitar parts and added cues so I'd know when parts change no matter what; the producer was able to put the files through my headphones along with a clicktrack.

User Info Menu

Don't stress out and enjoy the journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    don't stress out and enjoy the journey
    + 1

User Info Menu

Just be prepared mate. Make sure you know the track. Time is money in those places!! lol
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Just be prepared mate. Make sure you know the track. Time is money in those places!! lol
    Don't forget, time being money, what's the thing all us drummers have to do? Turn up way before the rest of the band to set up so that the engineer can sort out the mics and you and them can have time to sort out any kind of sound problems like head retuning or anything else on the kit before you guys start to record. Remember, you're the guy with the most amount of gear to set up (comes with the job) so whatever you do, don't turn up 10 mins before you're due to start (I think that would be obvious). The bigger a drummer's kit is, the more time for setting up he or she should consider. A well tuned kit with a minimal, simple set up is a studio engineer's dream (together with a cooperative player)....although nothing wrong with a larger set either (some of us love playing them, hey I do too), but as Spesman said, time is money, so don't be wasting it fiddling around with gear when you should be ready for tracking. Same thing goes for gigs and rehearsals, which is what I always have to consider when bringing a larger and more complicated drumkit or percussion rig.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    In total agreement with this, 110%.

User Info Menu

I can't stress how important hitting the snare with consistant strokes can be! I've spent hours re-recording my drum tracks due to inconsistant hits. Bring some damping items like moongel, muff rings, or just duct tape to chase unwanted ovetones.

Carb up on some fresh fruit the night before the session. Bring drinks or whatever will keep you hydrated. I usually bring in a small ice chest full of snacks just in case I start to 'bonk' out. You can't go running off to the store while you're 'running up the meter'. Good luck and have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Carb up on some fresh fruit the night before the session. Bring drinks or whatever will keep you hydrated. I usually bring in a small ice chest full of snacks just in case I start to 'bonk' out.
    Totally with you on that, Rich. That's what I do with rehearsals and gigs as well.

User Info Menu

great points

playing with a click was one of the biggest problems for me to start with as although i had worked with one before, id not fully played with click for the songs we were recording

my biggest point- play with confidence! no need to hit over hard, but play solidly, make each stroke count.. this should help make strikes consistent, and youll have a better time from not worrying so much!
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing