Thread: Splash Cymbal Question

User Info Menu

Default Splash Cymbal Question

So I've seen people talk about fancy splashes and fancy kits with splashes but I have no idea how to play them

How do you incorporate splash cymbals to your playing?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Just another accent like a china or effect cymbal. Just a higher tone.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

They are just a quick little sound in a sea of different sounds. Some drummer make patterns with their splashes.

User Info Menu

I use them like any other cymbal. Well, like a crash cymbal - i wou'dnt play them like a hi-hat or ride - actually no that's not entirley true either.... but generally you use them like a crash
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I also seem them used when a crash cymbal isnt exactly used, not saying your wrong at all, you can use anything as long as it sounds good to the music, I just hear the splash cymbal sometimes in random parts of the song that would normally use a crash, because it has such a fast pitch to it.

User Info Menu

Korn's drummer uses alot of splash cymbals and so does Danny Carey of Tool, he uses alot of bells as well.

User Info Menu

I think it's ahrd to be a drummer nowadays without stuff like that - otherwise it always sounds the same - like worlfmother and jet - two perfect examples. I'm not against minimalism, and talented people can do a lot with little, but you need some variety to really capture the musicality of it. Need to creat light and shade within everything - that's what effects cymbals andbells and everything else is for. Not eveyrthing is practical for a song, but splashes and chinas can very easily be incorporated to add a new dynamic.

User Info Menu

Manu Katche (sp?) only uses a hi hat and 2 crashes.

User Info Menu

I'll repeat then "talented people can do a lot with little"

Not that I know who you're talkig about there, but I am assuming your making the point of someone very good who only uses a basic cymbal setup yeah?

User Info Menu

Apart from a hh and ride, I only have 16" crash and a 10" splash (for right now). A splash is a great way to fill in a quick space in your playing, like after a double on the snare instead of a quick roll with a crash. Sometimes I'll sweep the splash after a crash to double up the sounds. It sounds pretty fresh.

User Info Menu

Welcome astafford!!!
    About the splashes now,these give you a different sound on your kit. Some drummers want this kind of sound and some not!

User Info Menu

I really love splashes, I thought nothing of them at first and just stuck with a China, but as soon as I bought one i've never looked black, they sound awesome in accents or as part of a fill.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

I just got myself a cheap Paiste PST3 10' Splash :D
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

drums-rock Guest

i love splash's ive got a sabian aax 1 i love it!

User Info Menu

I think it's like when you want to have a crash but you think it'd kill the vibe, so you go for something smaller...or a splash/crash combo.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    i love splash's ive got a sabian aax 1 i love it!
    my church as one, i think its a 10" or an 8" whats urs? PS: i love em too but i dont have 1 yet:P