Thread: Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Cymbals

when do you hit bigger crashes and when do you git smaller crashes? I assume that we all just eventually know how to use them correctly, but do any of you know?

User Info Menu

If you want crashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... sound you will hit a bigger crash. If you want a sound with small duration sure a smaller!

User Info Menu

I have my crashes in tone...which normally means in size. My friends actually said I don't play my crashes like crashes because when I hit a single crash I have a small issue with trying to make a pattern before I go back to my beat, sometimes a draw-back but most of the time it just adds to how cool I sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    when do you hit bigger crashes and when do you git smaller crashes? I assume that we all just eventually know how to use them correctly, but do any of you know?
    I hit the bigger crashes when I am really into the groove or when the song is building, or when I just want that big crash sound, I use the smaller ones for more fast accents, but honestly there is no general rule man, just play how you feel, hit what you want, there is no wrong or right way, thats what will make you unique.

User Info Menu

sweet, thanks guys!

User Info Menu

I'm a little late on this topic but I'll respond anyways.

This is not always the way I play but just an example. A decent amount of the time I treat my cymbals the way I'd talk. When I'm asking a question my voice generally goes up higher in pitch. To ask a question on the drums I'll either use a splash or a thinner type of cymbal. To answer it or finish a sentence I'll use a heavier or lower pitched crash. If I'm yelling at you or use an exclamation I'll hit something trashy such as a china. If I'm just making general conversation I'm using my hats, ride, or a medium weighted cymbal. I hope this makes sense to yall. It's not easy for me to explain ideas in text sometimes.
    Blessings.......
    Last edited by middleman; 09-17-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

not to late man, thanks for the reply, thats a really cool way of lookin at it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbals

if there is a part where you hit 2 crashes, hit the small then the large