Thread: Drum Head Question

User Info Menu

Default Drum Head Question

I have a Pearl 5 pc. Forum Series kit turned 6 pc. as of last week. I have added a brand new Pearl Forum Series 14X14 floor tom to my kit for only $70! Now that I'm done bragging, I need some advice with drum heads. I have never had any real experience tuning heads (I know, it's sad) but noticed something was way off when I assembled my 14" tom with the stock batter and reso and discovered it sounded almost like my 14" snare. I went to my local music store and the sales rep talked me into a drum dial and a new head for my new tom. A few days later, I decided to just change all my heads as they are in dire need anyway. My 14" floor tom will soon have a Remo Powerstroke 4 head, the snare will have a Powerstroke 3 and the rest of the toms will have a Pinstripe head. I have heard that Pinstripes and Powerstroke 3 heads are almost the same, however I am worried about that Powerstroke 4 sounding a little deeper than the Pinstripes. I am very much aware that the PS3 is a single coat and the PS4 is a double coat, which is why I'm concerned. Should I take the PS4 back and swap it for a PS3, or should I let it ride and not give it a second thought? Any help on this one is greatly appreciated.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Head Question

I would probably keep it so I could see if I liked one or the other better.

User Info Menu

Dude I'm sure the pinstripes will work just fine.
    I had a crappy old Pearl Export kit with the power toms way back when and it sounded like warmed up (insert word here), so I threw pinstripes on it and it sang like 100 foot tall bird. You wont be disappointed mate.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys. What I'm really concerned with though is the sound difference between the Pinstripe heads and the PS4 head. Will there be a noticeable difference if I have Pinstripes on all other toms except for my 14" tom that will be equipped with a PS4 head?
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

I use a clear PS4 on my bass batter and a black ported PS3 on my bass reso.
    All my toms have clear Emps as the batter and also using clear Ambo resos.
    Love them all.

Personally, I would not mix my tom heads like you have now.
    I recommend using all the same batter heads and all the same reso heads on the toms.............snares and basses are a different animal all together.
    A pinstripe on a 14" floor will sound very nice.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip Ricardo. I figured as much on the tom heads. I bought a drum head back as I figured it made more economical sense, rather than paying $15-20 per head, hence the reason I ended up with pinstripe toms and a PS3 snare. I found a 14" pinstripe to match the rest of my toms, so I'm taking my PS4 head back today to swap out for the Pinstripe.