Thread: Little Practice...

User Info Menu

Default Little Practice...

...while watching Pens-Flyers (seems like a great time to beat on something, LOL!!) Just had a pillow between my legs doing single-stroke, double-stroke, paradiddles, triplets, then got the practice pad out, tried to do double taps, triple, etc. My goal is to get this left leg stronger, not close to the right, not terrible but not close to the right. I have been trying to make an effort, though I will admit I forget oftentimes, to do more with my left hand in general, try to eat, open doors, etc. I WANT the left hand to come along, and I will work to get it there. I also have been squeezing my hand gripper a lot with both hands, dribbling two basketballs at once (trying to improve the left hand there, too, for my league play), and just working, working. I love hard work, feel lost if I'm not trying to improve on something. It's awesome!!

Give me some tips, fellows, on stuff I can try while sitting around, and while not, to get this going. Going to order some literature this week for stuff to work on and got a jam coming up Friday night. Enjoy your drumming and GO PENS!! Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Little Practice...

If you have a stick and are bored.. put the top of the stick in between your thumb/forefinger like you would normally grip, use your back three fingers to pull the stuck up and hit your forearm. This is a JoJo Mayer thing, I couldn't find the video, but basically just keep slapping the stick against your forearm and you will build up those finger muscles.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Apperciate the tip, will certainly try that one out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    If you have a stick and are bored.. put the top of the stick in between your thumb/forefinger like you would normally grip, use your back three fingers to pull the stuck up and hit your forearm. This is a JoJo Mayer thing, I couldn't find the video, but basically just keep slapping the stick against your forearm and you will build up those finger muscles.
    Tried to find that video myself just now. So is the stick hitting the top (palm side) of my forearm or the bottom side, or both?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers252006 View Post
    Tried to find that video myself just now. So is the stick hitting the top (palm side) of my forearm or the bottom side, or both?
    grab a stick like you normally would hold it, now slide your grip all the way up to the tip of the stick, then just keep grabbing the stick, it should now be hitting the underside of your forearm.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Another finger strengthening technique I was taught is to slap your fingers against your palm, like trying to do a one-handed clap, making a fist (opening and closing your hand). Do it as fast as you can until your fingers start making a slapping sound against your palm. Start with one finger at a time and eventually use all of them. Believe me, your hands will get tired quickly.

User Info Menu

I'll tell you what hurts me. I've been squeezing my grippers, swinging my sticks, trying to strengthen my wrists, etc. However, since I can't earn my living playing drums (don't I wish!!), I run my own court reporting business, and I do lots and lots of typing. I'm noticing I've been practicing and practicing and then working and having weakness in my wrists and forearms, probably carpal tunnel type nonsense. Guess I need to be smart about what exercises I do and what I work at. Still will keep working hard, maybe just take a day off sometimes from all the exercises to let my muscles rest. I hate taking days off, though!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers252006 View Post
    I'll tell you what hurts me. I've been squeezing my grippers, swinging my sticks, trying to strengthen my wrists, etc. However, since I can't earn my living playing drums (don't I wish!!), I run my own court reporting business, and I do lots and lots of typing. I'm noticing I've been practicing and practicing and then working and having weakness in my wrists and forearms, probably carpal tunnel type nonsense. Guess I need to be smart about what exercises I do and what I work at. Still will keep working hard, maybe just take a day off sometimes from all the exercises to let my muscles rest. I hate taking days off, though!!
    Also chatted on the phone with a local drummer around here that owns a music shop, hell of a drummer, and he told me he no longer practices at all because of carpal tunnel. Am I sending a common theme for drummers here???

User Info Menu

I don't know if I saw it here in DC but i heard guys moving their computer mouse over to the left side, helps with dexterity? Haven't tried it yet but anything helps!
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I don't know if I saw it here in DC but i heard guys moving their computer mouse over to the left side, helps with dexterity? Haven't tried it yet but anything helps!
    Hey, KC, I'm going to try that!! Probably will go nuts at first, but I'm going to see if I can't do that!! Thanks, man!!