Thread: Tuning a floor tom

User Info Menu

Default Tuning a floor tom

Im having issue with my 16" drum. Its a cheap junker shell but it is new. For the record Im using a ring on it as well. The stock thin resonant head is still on it and I have a new pin stripe head on top. If you lightly tap the top head you get a nice smooth tone but not perfect by any stretch. When you hit it with any force it gives a slappy watery sound and not a nice mellow tone like you hear on pro drums. So Im looking for advice on what to do with the reso head because from the looks of things it has to be the problem. I have a 6 pc kit and all my other toms sound fantastic with the pinstripes and the stock reso head but the floor tim is a wet turd at best right now heh. And I have a few songs that require a lot of floor tom time so Im trying to get it sounded better. If anyone has any sound clips of their drums or advice on what kind of heads to look for Id appreciate the help! Thanks all.

Shazane Guest

I'd just take off the crappy heads... but if you need the resonance that wouldnt be an option.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the 16' floor tom tuning club
    Last edited by drummer; 08-18-2007 at 11:23 PM.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Tune it tighter, tune the bottom head to about the same tightness that you have on the top head. Replace both heads. This should hopefully give you nice wide open sound that will lower pitched than your 14" tom, but not as low as professional drummer have because their drums are normally made out of top quality stuff.

User Info Menu

Well Ive kinda figured out the resonant head needs replaced, I just dont know what kind of head to use to replace it. The drums shops Ive visited are worthless for help. They just say any bottom head should do heh. Well Im proving that its not that easy! Ive heard the Evans G1 clears sound good so Im going to try that if I can find one before my gig tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
    Well Ive kinda figured out the resonant head needs replaced, I just dont know what kind of head to use to replace it. The drums shops Ive visited are worthless for help. They just say any bottom head should do heh. Well Im proving that its not that easy! Ive heard the Evans G1 clears sound good so Im going to try that if I can find one before my gig tomorrow.
    i would have to say the drum shops are right. if the bottom heads are new and in good condition then they are most likely not the problem, no matter what kind they are. to get the sound i like, i tune my reso a third higher than the batter. the batter is usually quite loose. usually a turn or less past the point of no wrinkles. also try tuning the floor tom first and going up from there.
    for a jazz tone, i just tune the batter a third up to match the pitch of the reso for a more open sound.

User Info Menu

Tell the shop you broke you reso head. Worked for me when I bought my second kit.