Thread: Old Slingerland Kit, Restore.

User Info Menu

Default Old Slingerland Kit, Restore.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. However I have been browsing it for quite some time. Glad to finally be a part of it.

SO. Currently I am playing both a Yamaha Tour Custom kit and a 70`s Slingerland kit. I love both kits, and they both have their respective places in my musical projects. However, the Slingerland kit has been used the most recently, and unfortunately I haven`t gotten her up to par yet. It sat in someones basement for the last fifteen years or so. Which sucks. Considering when i got it most of the hardware was oxidized and damaged. I used several cleaning products on the hardware itself, and cleaned it up considerably. I just dont really have the money to take it in to be done by a pro.

No my question is, how do I get the lugs to be as responsive as I am sure they once where. I find tuning some parts of the kit to be a little bit difficult. Ill play around with the 14 inch rack tom for hours and still not get it in tune, or out of the wrinkle state on the head. All of the rims fine, none of them are warped, as well as the shells. Ive tested all of that. And i still cant tune it up properly. Im using Coated emperors on the top and coated ambassadors on the bottom for the toms. I`ve never had any problems tuning in the past. I am only assuming that it has to do with the lugs being as old as they are. Does any one have any experience with kind of thing?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I am kinda unsure on how to add a picture into the body of this post. Sorry guys.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old Slingerland Kit, Restore.

My Slingy lugs are from 1963 and are still "responsive" because I've cleaned and lubed them and the tension rods. So get out your 3-in-one or whatever you want to use and some good Q-tips and get to work!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    My Slingy lugs are from 1963 and are still "responsive" because I've cleaned and lubed them and the tension rods. So get out your 3-in-one or whatever you want to use and some good Q-tips and get to work!
    He have to do some bearing edge work as well, especially if the heads can't surpass the wrinkle stage. Also the sign of bent hoops. In all likelyhood, some vital parts will need out right replacement. Luckily, it can be an easy thing with e-bay etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Would not hurt to run a tap into the lugs to make sure all the threads are in good shape. you can also run a die down each lug to make sure they are good to go as well. lay the rims on a flat surface and check for warpage. Place the shell bearing edge on a flat surface and see if it is flat - you can put a light inside and see if it shows out or try and pass sheets of paper under the edge. If the edge has a big dip in it, it will be hard getting proper tension...
    Brent H