21 100.00%
  • no

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok so what do you think?

User Info Menu

Default Ok so what do you think?

I have been asked by a few people to enter into the Guitar Center drum-off, I honestly don't think I am even close to good enough to make it past the prelims, but I thought I would get my drum chat buddies opinion, so what do you guys think.

User Info Menu

I say join and play your heart out and have fun!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I say the same man, go for it. Not like you'd lose anything for trying. Good luck.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Amen to what 32ndHB said! You've got some good skills. Even if you don't win, I think it would be a great experience for you! Even my daughter says, "Go for it, Dude!" My granddaughter would probably say it too, if she could!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'd say yes but i guess that it's easy for me to say. hehe.

User Info Menu

Well what are the pros and cons of entering?
    Pros: you would gain some experience, get to show your stuff, get some feedback on your playing from some unbiased observers
    Cons: You might not make it past preliminary tryouts (no big deal there, a lot of others won't get past prelims either). Is there any fee to tryout?

Looks to me like you should go for it unless there is so exhorbitant entry fee that you might not recoup.

User Info Menu

My son's been in two of GC's Drum Off's, before they raised the age limit. He had a great time and it helped him focus on practicing. Go for it and have fun.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 08-17-2007 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Just do it man!
    A great great experience!!!
    Good luck!

User Info Menu

Go For It Dude!!!!
    Wipe The Floor With Em'!
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

I say go for it too and it will be a great experience.

User Info Menu

and if you win you'll get a cool prize or something. then you can post pictures of it and make us all envious!
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

I've been asked by a couple of the guys at my local GC to enter too, but I'm definetly not good enough to make it very far. You are a WAY better drummer than me. I say go for it!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

My teacher is judging the local one near me and asked if I was going to do it. Whats the age limit?

User Info Menu

It's 16 this year. Last year it was 18. Before that, there was no limit.

User Info Menu

Hm i think you should try kev. I dont know what level anyone else is on but i know your sick at what you can do so give it a try. If even just for fun! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Go for it. I'm not even close to your skill level and I'd go, expose yourself to new experiences, win the hearts of many! XD
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

go try it man, you'll enjoy yourself. when i had been playing for half a year, i went to summik lyk tht as recommended by my tutor, but you're way better than me if other ppl r commending you go ahead.
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

go for it man. the only way to know is to try. you can always take a look at the counless drum off vids on youtube. see some of the winning performances, and decide if you can hang.

User Info Menu

what exactly do you do in a drum off anyway? how does it work?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I think I am going to pass this time, and really work on my rudiments and do it next year, when I feel more confident in my playing, I really appreciate all your imput, thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    5 min. solo. place in the store, go to the regional. win the regional, go the finals...ect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I am going to pass this time, and really work on my rudiments and do it next year, when I feel more confident in my playing, I really appreciate all your imput, thanks.
    thats a good choice too, I mean why go when you dont think your gonna do that well anyway, there is fear, and then there is the fact that you just wont be able to hold out that long. I agree, pound away on those rudiments, and along the way i assure you you'll learn other stuff on the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post

Two years ago, it was three a three minute solo. They supply the kit, obviously, which is a five piece with five or six cymbals, and they give you a few minutes to adjust it to your taste. If it's outdoors, as it was at Modesto, they mic the kit. Your judged by a panel of judges who's experiece can run from "I've seen a drum kit before" (Modesto store) to highly qualified professional recording artists (Sacramento store). The skill level at the preliminary rounds runs from total beginner to total hot shot. The wanna-be's get weeded out as the rounds progress. The national winner gets a new car and a bunch of other stuff.

I reccomend the Drum Off for practically everyone who drums. Having a goal, like performing well in public, is a great way to motivate yourself to practice hard. Having to face the fear of being in the spotlight is also a good experience, and showing off is just plain fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    Go for it man. Even if you are not ready you will gain the experience of performing under pressure. A little bit of stress and pressure is a good incentive to work harder. Competitions also have their own idiosyncrasies that you need to get accustomed if you are to join in the future. For now the goal is not winning but getting a feel of the environment. IMO, to perform well one needs to be in his comfort zone.

User Info Menu

You just need to try. You never know you could end up winning! You've got nothing to lose.
    Go for it!