Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crush Acrylic (finally) by ShaneR

User Info Menu

Default Crush Acrylic (finally) by ShaneR

After an agonizing few days, I finally have my new Crush Acrylic kit ready to go. I recorded a video last night and took way too many pictures. This kit is actually very hard to photograph with an autofocus camera. The lens gets confused.

I have to leave for a gig in a half hour, so I'll wait to give my impressions until after a full evening with them. Meanwhile, check it out:

Crush Acrylic - 10x7, 12x8, 14x13, 16x14, 22x18, 14x6 snare

10/12/16/22/snare normally goes for $1000. I got it for $850 during a President's Day Sale. I added the 14" floor tom for an additional $250. Also available in this series - 8x6, 13x13 floor tom (limited), 18x16, an 18" bass drum (limited), 13x7 snare, and 14x7 snare.

Last edited by Redeye; 02-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crush Acrylic (finally) by ShaneR

Last edited by Redeye; 02-23-2013 at 04:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Redeye; 02-23-2013 at 04:17 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow, a stunner for sure! Congrats Shane, that is one great looking kit. I liked your video too. Could have used More Cowbell!

User Info Menu

Wow! I want one! haha

User Info Menu

Nice, good choice!

User Info Menu

Wow, that is a strikingly good looking kit. Congratulations on the new arrival.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Wow Shane! Just wow!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree, WOW!!! That's just awesome looking.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Geez...that's a nice kit bro! Congrats.....

User Info Menu

Awesome! Great sound & looks

User Info Menu

Wow, Shane. What can I say that hasn't been said? Those look and sound great.

User Info Menu

Stunning kit!

User Info Menu

Awesome kit and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! I'm in complete agreement with you all.

I'll get into depth when I have my wits more about me tomorrow, but my initial gig with this kit went great. The bass drum has got a huge presence. The toms have insane attack and a really short decay. Perfect for electric guitar rock. All this and they do not by any means sound appreciably louder than my birch-ply Pearls. I was worried that they would be louder than I wanted at normal playing velocity, but that wasn't the case. My one disappointment, surprisingly, was the snare. It tended to sound tubby with a weak snare response. The rim shots were very nice and high, but mid-head strokes were flat. I'm praying it's just a bad head choice (Coated Ambassador). Several DCers told me the they had heard the snare sounding great, so if anyone has a head suggestion, please tell. Overall I am very happy and have actual anti-buyers remorse, because I been trying to swing a deal for this kit for a year now and I finally managed it. I ended up with a 16" Acrolite floor tom a while ago, and knew I would dig the acrylic sound.

Warning - the first time I changed the bass drum head, a nearly lethal smelling rush of nail polish odor nearly literally knocked me to the floor. It was seriously unpleasant.

I'll sleep on it and give some more feedback tomorrow. Meanwhile - watch the video again.
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-24-2013 at 02:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow, gorgeous kit Shane. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Crush really made a nice acrylic kit, your kit looks awesome. The wifey got me a crush acrylic snare for xmas and I absolutely love it. I have a clear ludwig kit and if anything happened to it I wouldn't hesitate to get a Crush Kit. Congrats and Good Luck with it.

User Info Menu

That is seriously gorgeous. I wonder if they make any clear muffling devices for the bass drum?
    Drums
    Mapex saturn
    Premier XPK
    10,12,13,16, x2 22

Snares
    13x3 keller maple piccolo gold leaf
    14x5 '68 supraphonic
    14x5.5 saturn
    14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty
    14x6.5 DW knurled brass
    14x6.5 DW knurled copper
    14x7 Pork pie maple

14 hoop crasher

Zildjians
    10 A custom splash
    13 A mastersound hihats
    14 A custom hi hats
    16 Oriental china
    17 A custom crash
    18 A custom projection crash
    19 A custom crash
    19 K custom china
    22 A custom ride

User Info Menu

Shane, I wonder if the difference between the snare and the rest of the kit has anything to do with the die cast hoops on the snare? Still, I'm sure that finding the right combination of heads for the snare will improve things for you. What resonant head are you using with the Ambassador?

As to that acetone smell, the bass drum must have been the last one off the assembly line, and the smell must not have dissipated before they slapped on the heads. That's the kind of smell that'll give you a headache. Still, just take another look at the kit and it will all be worth it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Shane, I wonder if the difference between the snare and the rest of the kit has anything to do with the die cast hoops on the snare? Still, I'm sure that finding the right combination of heads for the snare will improve things for you. What resonant head are you using with the Ambassador?
    Shane I put on a Remo CS batter head and an Evans hazy 300 snare side head, the difference between our snares is I don't have diecast hoops and the snare is 14 x 7. It has alot of punch and I love the sound.

User Info Menu

Shane,

They look and sound fantastic. Love the shot from the right rear angle, looks like the floor toms have a layer of water on them.

The place I bought my Yamaha Stage customs from a few years ago had Crush Drums on the floor, some crazy colors. He showed them to me and I was impressed by the sound but did not know the name at the time. I opted for the Yami's because of the name and what I thought was superior quality. A few years later I purchased an Exotic DW collector series kit, big bucks. But I got to tell you every time I am in that store and here those I am blown away by the sound of the Crush drums and I believe they are very good quality, love the die cast hoops and the Acrylic too. And you can't beat the price. For what it's worth, I think you made a wise choice.

Enjoy, will look forward to future reports and video's. I always enjoy you playing.
    Joe

User Info Menu

I had some ideas posted here about coated snare batters, but you mention (logically) in the video that you're in the market for a clear batter, of which I have no experience with, so nevermind lol.

Also great job on the video, I'm sure my fellow drum nerds will agree it was fun to watch.
    Last edited by caribou; 02-25-2013 at 03:31 AM.