Thread: turn past a wrinke????

User Info Menu

Default turn past a wrinke????

Ok, trying to tune heads(stock heads on new drumset), I often see this mentioned "turn past a wrinke"

What does that mean? I have never noticed any wrinkles, even after taking head off and starting fresh on tuning.

Thanks

User Info Menu

CP, when you put on new heads, you put the tension rods into the lugs and hand tighten them until they just "snug up." Just so that there is no misunderstanding, that means that the tension rod is tightened just to the point of feeling a bit of tension when you turn turn the rod, after it had been turning freely.

That is the same basic principle that you will use to begin tuning your heads. You are tightening the tension rods (in the prescribed pattern - always tightening the rods opposite each other, as opposed to simply working around the rim), until you see the head is smooth, all the way around. At that point, you will begin tuning using smaller turns of the drum key (one quarter turn at a time, and eventually one eigth turn at a time).

If none of this makes any sense then I would suggest that you follow this link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id5.html

This can give you more information, in case you're an information guy, like I am.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, Thanks,

I have seen this article but have shyed away (too much reading)...but if I am going to learn I may have to just print the pages off and set down and read it!

I have lower end (i.e. cheaper) set of Mapex's with stock Remo UX heads, I may have to just break down and go get new heads, if I am going to get a good sound from these drums.

User Info Menu

True, but do you feel comfortable with tuning yet? My advice would be to learn how to tune using the current heads. If you can get them to sound decent, you know you've got the tuning thing down!!

When you go to the Drum Bible link, just make sure you scroll down to the part that you need to read. I agree that reading the whole page would be too much. If that link is too much info, just google drum tuning, and you'd be amazed at the articles that will be available. Good luck, and remember, there are many here, with a lot of experience, that can really help with this process! BTW, tuning is probably the most asked question of them all!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Pb,
    I probably don't have the tuning down yet, so good advice on staying with the stock heads for now.

My biggest problem is not knowing how each drum SHOULD sound.
    I have been playing with them to get a good sound, but I am afraid that if I over tighten, that I may stretch the head out to much. is this possible?

User Info Menu

Just me dropping by in another tuning thread to remind you all....
    No matter how you fine tune your batter, you won't get the desired sound without taking the time to fine tune the reso.
    Thank you lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Just me dropping by in another tuning thread to remind you all....
    No matter how you fine tune your batter, you won't get the desired sound without taking the time to fine tune the reso.
    Thank you lol
    I did find that when I tightened the reso it did sound better, but still not right....yet

User Info Menu

It takes a lot of dedication and a good ear. It also helps if you have someone else tell you how it sounds from a listeners perspective.

User Info Menu

A tip that I like to use is to tune the batter heads of the toms in thirds to each other. The first two notes of "Here Comes The Bride" are one third of an octive apart. I get the bass where I like it, and then start working from the floor tom back up through the toms while I sing "Here Comes" over and over. I like having the toms a third apart for the drum rolls. From there, some like the resonant head tuned up a third from the batter head, some like to tune down a third. I tuned mine the same as the batter head, because I liked the sound. I may try it different the next time.

User Info Menu

Well, i tuned them " just past a wrinkle" they sound alot better than before, a bit low but still better. Also, Not two bad on what I think is thirds. I know there not completely correct yet , but they are better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    A tip that I like to use is to tune the batter heads of the toms in thirds to each other. The first two notes of "Here Comes The Bride" are one third of an octive apart. I get the bass where I like it, and then start working from the floor tom back up through the toms while I sing "Here Comes" over and over. I like having the toms a third apart for the drum rolls. From there, some like the resonant head tuned up a third from the batter head, some like to tune down a third. I tuned mine the same as the batter head, because I liked the sound. I may try it different the next time.
    I did that, but I didnt tune my reso head a thrid tighter then my stock, I just tuned it tighter, Ill try doing that.

User Info Menu

Another interesting tuning technique, Neil Peart originalized with the R30 and his old Tama's...
    Tune your toms so that the highest octive is tighter then the rest and the lowest is the most loose and so on. It takes a little while to get used to the feel, but really only sounds good on big sets with 5 or more toms.

User Info Menu

If I may add my humble take on this, to merely add to what was said...

What you read about turn past a wrinkle... by wrinkle they mean saggy, loose... you don't just "turn past a wrinkle and that's it, you're done". I think they meant just to get the slack out. Look at it in the reflection of a light source and you can see the slack come out. NOW you are at the starting point to continue tightening evenly.

Yup, tuning is not something you'll do well at first. I almost cried at first lol.
    Then I realized that tuning is a "careful" thing. If I wasn't the new guy around here I'd go on and on and tell you how I tune mine. But the main thing is to make the tension even all the way around. Tap the head in the same place (inch or two from edge), the same way with the same fingertip all the way around and listen. How tight the lugs feel with the wrench have nothing to do with it, it's the tension on the head that counts. And don't worry about making them too tight, just keep it even as you go. If you start to go too tight common sense will take over and you'll know it's too tight. Tight heads make for great sounding drums. Makes them sound like... drums. (Not too tight hehe)

Tuning takes experience. And you won't get any if you don't try things. Once you get them about like you want them, you'll take it from there and it will evolve. You'll think, "this tom should be a tad higher, it doesn't sound right when I go from the snare to the tom", or something to that effect, then you'll do it and before you know it you'll be playing a set that sounds like it should. If you start putting tape and stuff on them to cover the awful sounds you won't learn how to tune them. Yeah if you need to muffle to make them quieter because of parents or whatever, that's different. You still can tune them tho.

Follow these guys' advice. I only chimed in about the wrinkle thing because I know you went somewhere and read something confusing.
    Last edited by Toad; 09-10-2007 at 04:07 AM.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

Good follow-up advice Toad. Don't ever feel bashful about giving us your thoughts. It's easy to forget to tell somebody a little detail, and you really nailed it here. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Toad,
    I echo what PB said.
    Your advice clears alot up. I will give it a shot maybe tomorrow or next day. Getting ready to go have 2nd epidural steriod shot in my back, sooooo, wont be in much of a mood to try this right away!

Young guys(and us older ones too) take care of those Backs!

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your back problem. I will say a prayer for you, and your doctors, WH.