Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever struggle with genre preference?

User Info Menu

Default Ever struggle with genre preference?

Having this problem. I've played for about 25 years, been in many cover bands and even recorded a bunch of originals. I grew up on metal and metal is still a big part of who I am. I'm having problems finding musicians in my genre preference.

I work a LOT and my time for a band is limited so it seems important to play the genre of music I prefer.
    There's several bands in my area and even had a few of them asking me to play with them if their drummer parts ways. BUT, they all play classic rock and some alternative stuff that just doesn't inspire any interest. I feel it would get real boring real quick and practices/gigs would become loathesome.
    One bands drummer recently quit because he is also a technical drummer and got bored with all the classic/alternative rock, so they have been bugging me.

Not sure if I should just pick the best group of guys and play uninspiring music, or keep on looking for what seems to be forever. I think it could create problems if your hearts not in it.

Do you ever commit to a band just to be in a band without being whole heartedly into the genre?
    Personally, I take my playing pretty serious.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ever struggle with genre preference?

Of course, the question would always be whether you simply want to play with a band, or whether you want to wait for the right opportunity. From what you said, you'd rather wait, but you're not really sure if the right opportunity will come your way. Are you willing to wait until the right opportunity comes along? If not, I'd rather be playing, than sitting on the sideline waiting. Even if you are playing a genre that is not quite your thing, you could still infuse it with your own unique playing skills.

Just my own 2 cents, and compared to what others can offer, I've probably valued my opinion just about right.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

"...commit to a band without being whole heartily into the genre?"
    Doing that now. My Band has 25 covers 1/4 are more fun and appealing to me than the rest, so those songs "rescue" me from boredom. Strangely I've actually learned stuff from the songs I can't stand to play!
    The jazz/rock I want to play is satisfied in the Hendrix songs, sort of...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Call me weird but I rarely have had that problem. Maybe with one or two bands, but the vast majority of bands I been with never had that problem, probably because so long as I'm playing with good musicians, then I'm in, whether I can play technically in it or not. So long as I'm playing drums and/or percussion, then I'm as happy as a clam.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob pretty much put it into perspective: Sit at home, watch TV and eat popcorn until the perfect band comes along - - - Or - - - hook up with quality players, regardless of the musical genre - and just play. Then, if and when that "perfect metal band" comes along, your chops will be where they need to be because you've been playing instead of sitting around watching dust collect on your kit... and most bands get paid so you wont be doing it for "charity".
    You might come off with new skills and new ideas that you can transfer into your total arsenal. Grin and bear it and make some coin and keep your chops from getting stale

Just Sayin ~~~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Pastor Bob pretty much put it into perspective: Sit at home, watch TV and eat popcorn until the perfect band comes along - - - Or - - - hook up with quality players, regardless of the musical genre - and just play. Then, if and when that "perfect metal band" comes along, your chops will be where they need to be because you've been playing instead of sitting around watching dust collect on your kit... and most bands get paid so you wont be doing it for "charity".
    You might come off with new skills and new ideas that you can transfer into your total arsenal. Grin and bear it and make some coin and keep your chops from getting stale

Just Sayin ~~~
    Pretty good point

User Info Menu

I have that problem all the time. Most of the musicians that play my style of music skipped town along time ago. Most of my gigs that I got were offered to me because I happened to be playing out of the area at that point in time. Very few musicians out here play my style of music, and mainly everyone here plays metal, and this area in general doesn't breed very many drummers(not good ones anyway). I've actually considered moving about 60 miles south to l.a. or a little further south to San Diego to find musicians I could really interact with. And to get more gigs.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

groovearteest, are you saying that Lancaster is drying up? Being located in the high desert of California, how could it do anything else? Seriously, I have family out in your area, so I have a pretty good idea of what you're up against, although I'm sure it's changed some since I was there last.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It's a short life we have. Unless you have to play to pay the bills, play the music that makes you feel good. The only other reason for playing music you don't like as much is to get the experience. I used to play a lot of traditional jazz. Never liked it that much but did it to get the experience behind my belt to round me out as a player. I have no regrets.

User Info Menu

I guess I come at things from a different perspective. I think being in band is hard work so I dang well better be playing the music I want. which I am. Me, I'd rather not be in a band than play classic rock out alternative...or anything other than what I'm playing now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    groovearteest, are you saying that Lancaster is drying up? Being located in the high desert of California, how could it do anything else? Seriously, I have family out in your area, so I have a pretty good idea of what you're up against, although I'm sure it's changed some since I was there last.
    When was the last time you were here? Couldn't have changed that much lol.

User Info Menu

Personally, the ability to be actually able to play a range of musical styles is important in case I NEED to, I just don't WANT to. I want to play metal but circumstances had had me play classic rock, jazz, marching stuff etc., and while it HAS gotten my chops up, I don't exactly find it enjoyable. I just wanna play metal. Though, these days more and more I have been finding myself just grooving, and diversity has added a lot to my ability to do that.
    If I were to join a band, I'd want it to be a metal band. I have no interest in dedicating a significant part of my time and effort into anything else.

User Info Menu

i think this thread has pretty much already shown my view on it... its all dependant on what you want out of life, and out of drumming

understandably a lot of drummers only want to play what they prefer, cause it does take a lot of your time up, so if its not your thing, why do it?... on the other hand...

a lot of drummers (and i include myself in this one), want to play drums as much as possible in as many things as can get into, whatever music, wanting to experience as much as possible from drumming. A lot of this can also come from (not necissarily prefering) but appreciating/exploring a wise range of music styles.

im pretty easy when it comes to music tastes, yeah mostly ill go for rock, indie, britpop stuff, but my music players got jazz, metal, drum and bass too, and id love to have a go in any of those, and more!
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Jamming with a lot different people would also get you a lot connections and could put you into contact with the perfect band for you.

User Info Menu

I'll play just about anything EXCEPT metal!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    Jamming with a lot different people would also get you a lot connections and could put you into contact with the perfect band for you.
    I think that would work if I go to the "big city" an hour away. But I already know all the musicians in this town. Too much classic rock, alternative and country. Something seems wrong about playing a single song that you can hear in EVERY band in this towns set list. Like "Sweet Child of Mine" Barffffff!!

On a funny note: There's a guitarist in town who keeps asking me to start a Joe Satriani tribute band. Every time he asks me I say"If we do a Joe Satriani tribute, what's Joe Satriani gonna do?" He always gives me that stupid look afterwards. The guy is 46yrs old, STILL lives with his parents, still doesn't work, wants to start a revolution and overthrow the government, etc etc etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    I think that would work if I go to the "big city" an hour away. But I already know all the musicians in this town. Too much classic rock, alternative and country. Something seems wrong about playing a single song that you can hear in EVERY band in this towns set list. Like "Sweet Child of Mine" Barffffff!!

On a funny note: There's a guitarist in town who keeps asking me to start a Joe Satriani tribute band. Every time he asks me I say"If we do a Joe Satriani tribute, what's Joe Satriani gonna do?" He always gives me that stupid look afterwards. The guy is 46yrs old, STILL lives with his parents, still doesn't work, wants to start a revolution and overthrow the government, etc etc etc.
    I get what your saying about not being able to jam with alot of other people, cuz you know everyone!

some people take for granted the luxury that they have of getting to jam with a lot of musicians, and think that everyone can do that. But for some of us that don't live in a big musically inclined town, playing with different musicians isn't a luxury at all.In fact its non existent. I know that wasn't your point, but i was just adding on my own statement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Having this problem. I've played for about 25 years, been in many cover bands and even recorded a bunch of originals. I grew up on metal and metal is still a big part of who I am. I'm having problems finding musicians in my genre preference.

I work a LOT and my time for a band is limited so it seems important to play the genre of music I prefer.
    There's several bands in my area and even had a few of them asking me to play with them if their drummer parts ways. BUT, they all play classic rock and some alternative stuff that just doesn't inspire any interest. I feel it would get real boring real quick and practices/gigs would become loathesome.
    One bands drummer recently quit because he is also a technical drummer and got bored with all the classic/alternative rock, so they have been bugging me.

Not sure if I should just pick the best group of guys and play uninspiring music, or keep on looking for what seems to be forever. I think it could

create problems if your hearts not in it.

Do you ever commit to a band just to be in a band without being whole heartedly into the genre?
    Personally, I take my playing pretty serious.
    You could seriously consider taking up another instrument. If you really like metal, than guitar is probably is a better way to go. After all metal music is more the domain of lead guitarists. IMO, drums is a sideman instrument, and a drummer should be prepared to play many styles in order to procure employment for himself. Seldomly do drummers build bands around their playing, but usually bands adopt drummers that they think can elevate their musical style. Like any other job, versatility is the key. What use would a carpenter be that refuses to build anything but dog houses?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    You could seriously consider taking up another instrument. If you really like metal, than guitar is probably is a better way to go. After all metal music is more the domain of lead guitarists. IMO, drums is a sideman instrument, and a drummer should be prepared to play many styles in order to procure employment for himself. Seldomly do drummers build bands around their playing, but usually bands adopt drummers that they think can elevate their musical style. Like any other job, versatility is the key. What use would a carpenter be that refuses to build anything but dog houses?

all the best...
    WUT? What are you talking about. You just said you play anything but metal. Many a metal band have a drummer that's not a "sideman."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    WUT? What are you talking about. You just said you play anything but metal. Many a metal band have a drummer that's not a "sideman."
    .+1, have to agree with you on that one Marko..............A lot of the Metal drummers nowadays play so technical, I couldn't even begin to play some of their stuff....................definitely not sidemen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    +50!!!
    Drums are my passion and so is metal whether its in fashion or not. Good metal drummers are hard to find. So are good metal bands but I wouldn't even consider switching instruments.
    It's just going to take some time I guess to find something enjoyable.

User Info Menu

There are 2 kinds of people, those that sit around and wait for things to happen, and those that MAKE things happen.

Make things happen!

User Info Menu

I'm playing in a band right now just to keep my chops up. I'm into metal more than the classic rock stuff that this band tends to play but I can't find the right people right now. Just as drummer said, time is short so I'll just keeping playing with people until I find the right group of musicians. Networking with other musicians seems to make the process less frustrating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There are 2 kinds of people, those that sit around and wait for things to happen, and those that MAKE things happen.

Make things happen!
    Unfortunately that's sometimes easier said than done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    Unfortunately that's sometimes easier said than done.

Yes, it is, but, if you don't try, you will never know.