Thread: Snare Head

User Info Menu

Default Snare Head

How tight do most like their snare head? Just for fun, I tightened mine all the way yesterday to feel the difference. Do some play with it like that? Seems to only make a good snare noise from the middle with the outsides sounding like the snare is turned off.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Head

If 20 people reply to this you'll likely get 20 different opinions.

I use a medium tuning...which means nothing to you since "medium" means different things to different people.

To be precise, and I've been very pleased with the results, I tune my snare side head to about a G. The batter head is tuned to about a C#. I use our piano to check the tunings.

Not sure if that helps, but tuning the heads to where they feel like a table top just sounds choked, to me.

But I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

What sounds best to your ears is what counts.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

In my opinion most snare drums have a huge tuning range of great sounds. One day i may tune my Pork Pie super low for a nice fat backbeat, then the next day crank it up a little for some metal and faster rebound. The tuning all depends on the style of music you are playing, so try a few different tunings and see what you like.
    Drums
    Mapex saturn
    Premier XPK
    10,12,13,16, x2 22

Snares
    13x3 keller maple piccolo gold leaf
    14x5 '68 supraphonic
    14x5.5 saturn
    14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty
    14x6.5 DW knurled brass
    14x6.5 DW knurled copper
    14x7 Pork pie maple

14 hoop crasher

Zildjians
    10 A custom splash
    13 A mastersound hihats
    14 A custom hi hats
    16 Oriental china
    17 A custom crash
    18 A custom projection crash
    19 A custom crash
    19 K custom china
    22 A custom ride

User Info Menu

I like my heads tight, but there's alot to do with the heads. I picked up a snare this week and it had an aquarian studio x head with a center dot underneath the head as well as a ring around the edge underneath. I never used any aquarian heads before and I will tell you, it is a 6 1/2 in deep by 14 and the drum is totally choked with that head.

User Info Menu

Don't forget loosen the snares for more snare response. Do it a little at a time till you find the sweet spot