Thread: Martin Lopez

User Info Menu

Default Martin Lopez

Drummer: Martin Lopez
    Main Style: Progressive rock/metal
    Main Band: Soen, ex-Opeth
    Summary: A Swedish musician of Uruguayan heritage, Lopez was the drummer in the highly successful melodic death metal band Amon Amarth for a few years before he joined Opeth. He played with Opeth from 1997 to 2006, leaving due to having a rare blood disease. His current supergroup Soen played their first gig in 2012. Their sound has been said to be almost identical to Tool's.

- Zack

User Info Menu

Default Re: Martin Lopez

YES! HUGE fan of Lopez's Opeth stuff. Still prefer Axenrot's but Lopez's drumming is damn phenomenal. His stuff on the Damnation album is relatively simple, but it's spectacular, my favorite material of his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    YES! HUGE fan of Lopez's Opeth stuff. Still prefer Axenrot's but Lopez's drumming is damn phenomenal. His stuff on the Damnation album is relatively simple, but it's spectacular, my favorite material of his.
    While Axe is a great drummer, I still prefer Lopez's stuff. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to his drumming and I'm just more familiar with it.

Damnation is definitely my favourite album, ever.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Zack! Seen Martin Lopez a few times live with Opeth, he's never played a bum note in my opinion.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The last time Opeth was in New Zealand was 2005, but I was 11 then and there's no way my parents would have let me go to a death metal show... Now they've stopped playing death metal and they have a different drummer

I'm definitely still going to see them if they ever come to NZ again.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Lopez is phenomenal, but Axe is a better fit for Opeth. Martin's work with Soen is absolutely killer. The Cognitive album is great front to back.

User Info Menu

Still life , Blackwater Park and Deliverance are among my favorite Albums. The drumming is amazing.

If you don't want to listen to the entire song at least check out the ending section that starts at the 9:39 mark. It's excellent as is the rest of the song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-PaT0Bgj-Y
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    If you don't want to listen to the entire song at least check out the ending section that starts at the 9:39 mark. It's excellent as is the rest of the song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-PaT0Bgj-Y
    Best Opeth outro? Best outro period?