Thread: looking to explore more music genre's- suggestions please

User Info Menu

Default looking to explore more music genre's- suggestions please

Hi Guys, im trying to diversify what i listen and play too, currently i pretty much focus on rock stuff, foo fighters e.t.c, but want to look more into other stuff, espeicially Jazz, big band sort of stuff

id prefer to listen to the bigger artists in the genre first i guess, cause surely they must be pretty wide appeal if theyve got that big.. i.e trying to listen to Metallica more for the metal side,, but jazz, big band, even orchestra really interest me

Whenever ive seen/heard some ive generally really liked it, so was looking for some suggestions as i know theres a wide range of genres prefered here

hope it makes sense, cheers in advance!
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Default Re: looking to explore more music genre's- suggestions please

Quote Originally Posted by gottdonn13 View Post
    Hi Guys, im trying to diversify what i listen and play too, currently i pretty much focus on rock stuff, foo fighters e.t.c, but want to look more into other stuff, espeicially Jazz, big band sort of stuff

id prefer to listen to the bigger artists in the genre first i guess, cause surely they must be pretty wide appeal if theyve got that big.. i.e trying to listen to Metallica more for the metal side,, but jazz, big band, even orchestra really interest me

Whenever ive seen/heard some ive generally really liked it, so was looking for some suggestions as i know theres a wide range of genres prefered here

hope it makes sense, cheers in advance!

Jazz big band= Buddy Rich, Count Basie, Duke Ellinton, Thad Jones-Mel Lewis, you could start there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Jazz big band= Buddy Rich, Count Basie, Duke Ellinton, Thad Jones-Mel Lewis, you could start there.
    Thanks Rick!

User Info Menu

This is my favorite big band jazz CD. It features Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich together with many other jazz greats. There's a killer duet drum solo on the 2nd track. I couldn't find that particular track but this CD has some great jazz drumming on it!!!

Liner notes:

Recorded in New York on May 16 and November 1, 1955. Includes liner notes by Sid Gribetz. This is part of Verve's Jazz At The Philharmonic series. Personnel: Gene Krupa (drums); Buddy Rich (drums); Freddie Green, Herb Ellis (guitar); Flip Phillips, Frank Wess, Illinois Jacquet, Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie, Joe Newman , Roy Eldridge, Thad Jones (trumpet); Oscar Peterson (piano). Liner Note Author: Sid Gribetz. Recording information: New York, NY (05/16/1955-11/01/1955)

Last edited by late8; 02-26-2013 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

paquito d'rivera , michel camillo , sonny rollins , keith jarrett , roy hargove , wynton marsalis ...

User Info Menu

No one mention Miles Davis? Definitely a must when looking at the various periods of jazz such as bebop, cool jazz, modal jazz, jazz fusion etc.

This tune is pretty much a "jazz standard"

One of Miles' great quintets. Tony Williams on the drums at the age of 18!

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thanks Late8, Stanhandler and Drummbledore, ill have a look around them all!

P.s really diggin the second song drumbledore (Milestones), real nice feel to it

User Info Menu

A bunch of random good stuff from different genres that I enjoy, including acid jazz/jazz funk, post-rock, trip hop/downtempo, reggae, progressive metal, power metal, and electroswing. A lot of videos!

Last edited by xweasel; 03-01-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Zack (xweasel), thats fantastic thankyou!

Im heading away over the weekend but when im back will definitly be spending a while listining around all those, thanks again!