Thread: Black Panther Sledgehammer or Yamaha Nouveau Brass 14 x 7

User Info Menu

Default Black Panther Sledgehammer or Yamaha Nouveau Brass 14 x 7

I'm looking to add to my snare collection by making my first metal snare purchase. I'm looking for a deep, fat, pop with the metal cut. I've researched a lot of snares and for the price, these two were the best for me. However, I'm having a problem choosing between the two. What are your opinions on both snares (hopefully you've played at least one of them)? Which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for your help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Panther Sledgehammer or Yamaha Nouveau Brass 14 x 7

I am in the same position, I also want a metal snare, preferably 14 x 5 or deeper. Have you looked at the Pork pie BOB or the Ludwig black magic? There seems to be very little reviews on these for some reason and my local shops dont have many in stock.
    Drums
    Mapex saturn
    Premier XPK
    10,12,13,16, x2 22

Snares
    13x3 keller maple piccolo gold leaf
    14x5 '68 supraphonic
    14x5.5 saturn
    14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty
    14x6.5 DW knurled brass
    14x6.5 DW knurled copper
    14x7 Pork pie maple

14 hoop crasher

Zildjians
    10 A custom splash
    13 A mastersound hihats
    14 A custom hi hats
    16 Oriental china
    17 A custom crash
    18 A custom projection crash
    19 A custom crash
    19 K custom china
    22 A custom ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumonthis View Post
    I am in the same position, I also want a metal snare, preferably 14 x 5 or deeper. Have you looked at the Pork pie BOB or the Ludwig black magic? There seems to be very little reviews on these for some reason and my local shops dont have many in stock.
    I've looked at both of those, but I've heard the hardware wasn't up to par on the Ludwig and I'm not a fan of the Pork Pie. Yea, it's very hard to find reviews for the Yamaha. I guess everyone's getting Supraphonics. Lol The Sledgehammer is pretty popular and I own two other Black Panthers, but because I haven't tried it live, I don't know if it'll be as fat and deep as I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

Ya supraphonics are getting played out. Everyone has one, mind you for good reason because they are THAT good, but I want something different than the crowd. I do love my black panther big cat, and dont think you could go wrong with any drums in that line, huge bang for the buck, but it just doesnt have that "appeal" that I am looking for.
    Drums
    Mapex saturn
    Premier XPK
    10,12,13,16, x2 22

Snares
    14x5 '68 supraphonic
    14x5.5 saturn
    14x6.5 DW knurled brass
    14x6.5 DW knurled copper
    14x7 Pork pie maple

14 hoop crasher

Zildjians
    10 A custom splash
    13 A mastersound hihats
    14 A custom hi hats
    16 Oriental china
    17 A custom crash
    19 A custom crash
    19 K custom china
    22 A custom ride

User Info Menu

How about the Gretsch hammered brass or a Pearl free floater?
    Drums
    Mapex saturn
    Premier XPK
    10,12,13,16, x2 22

Snares
    14x5 '68 supraphonic
    14x5.5 saturn
    14x6.5 DW knurled brass
    14x6.5 DW knurled copper
    14x7 Pork pie maple

14 hoop crasher

Zildjians
    10 A custom splash
    13 A mastersound hihats
    14 A custom hi hats
    16 Oriental china
    17 A custom crash
    19 A custom crash
    19 K custom china
    22 A custom ride

User Info Menu

Don't know about the Yamaha, but, I have a Sledgehammer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Also have a Black Beauty. Play out with both. Happy with both.

User Info Menu

I was in the same boat a while ago. I actually came down to those exact 2 snares...the Sledgehammer and the Brass Nouveau. I went with the Sledgehammer because my local drum shop had it in stock, so I could hear it in person before I bought it, which wasn't the case with the Yamaha. I am extremely happy with my Sledgehammer and, like inthpktplayer, I wouldn't trade it for anything. If you are looking for that big fat snare sound, you won't be disappointed.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Another thin shelled brass snare in that price range is a DW Black Nickel Over Brass. Just in case your considering others.

User Info Menu

I'm in a different boat.

2 wooden snares.
    5 metal snares lol

wood:
    Pork Pie maple 13x7
    1963 Ludwig Super Classic 14x5.5 (transition hardware)

metal
    1964 Suprphonic 14x5
    1968 Acrolite 14x5
    1940s-1950s Kent (USA) 14x5
    Yamaha Kabuto 14x5.5
    1984 Pearl free floating steel 14x6.5

Currently building myself a 6 ply keller maple vss 14x5.5 to help offset my imbalance

I love the Pork Pie Big Black Brass. Good drum, like a Black Beauty but more affordable.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

sledgehammer
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Sledgehammer ...

Not only will you sound cooler when you tell your band mates the name of our new snare but you can pump your hands into the air and sing sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    metal

Yamaha Kabuto 14x5.5
    I love the look of those Kabutos, but what do they sound like?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Go with the Sledgehammer. I've not played one but have heard them being played live & they are great.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I love the look of those Kabutos, but what do they sound like?
    By far one of the best snare drums I have ever bought. Comparable to a Supraphonic. The hardware is solid. I like the design of the strainer quite a bit.

Resonates more than a supra because less lugs.

I personally would say this is one of Yamaha's most overlooked drums. The price tag was low (200usd) so I think people assume "you get what you pay for" to often.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Sledgehammer

User Info Menu

For everyone who is saying sledgehammer could you please elaborate to why? Is it built better? Does it sound sweeter? Do the dimples in it make people moist? I agree it is a beautiful drum but a little more than "sledgehammer" would be awesome.
    Drums
    Mapex saturn
    Premier XPK
    10,12,13,16, x2 22

Snares
    14x5 '68 supraphonic
    14x5.5 saturn
    14x6.5 DW knurled brass
    14x6.5 DW knurled copper
    14x7 Pork pie maple

14 hoop crasher

Zildjians
    10 A custom splash
    13 A mastersound hihats
    14 A custom hi hats
    16 Oriental china
    17 A custom crash
    19 A custom crash
    19 K custom china
    22 A custom ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumonthis View Post
    For everyone who is saying sledgehammer could you please elaborate to why? Is it built better? Does it sound sweeter? Do the dimples in it make people moist? I agree it is a beautiful drum but a little more than "sledgehammer" would be awesome.
    They are both incredible drums. Yamaha makes some really high quality stuff. But Black Panther started out as a Snare drum company.
    Sledgehammer
    Shell size: 14" x 6-1/2"
    1.2mm hand-hammered brass shell
    45° bearing edge
    Handbuilt and hand-finished Black Panther snare shell
    Cylinder-drive strainer
    Piston-style throw-off
    Sonic Saver hoops
    Premium steel snare wires
    Remo drum heads

Nouvea
    Brass shell cuts thru loud music but still maintains a good balance of brightness and warmth
    Quick-release low-contact Nouveau lugs allow the shell to vibrate for a more resonance and wide dynamic range
    High-strength 2.3mm thick triple flange Dyna Hoops give precise tuning yet they allow the drum to open up
    Detachable snare strainer allow you to remove the snare wires for quick snare side head
    changes

Sledgehammer has thicker hoops (I think 3.0mm) So tuning is quicker, some say lighter hoops open the sound up some. But 2.3mm is plenty hoop for myself.

Both "10 lug" snares

The detachable snare strainer sounds awesome on the Yamaha. That would be nice to have. Same with the quick release/ low contact lugs.

The hand made shell on the mapex is appealing.

Personally I would say the Yamaha because it seems to be designed for the gigging drummer, if you need a quick change of any kind.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by On the 1 View Post
    I'm looking to add to my snare collection by making my first metal snare purchase. I'm looking for a deep, fat, pop with the metal cut. I've researched a lot of snares and for the price, these two were the best for me. However, I'm having a problem choosing between the two. What are your opinions on both snares (hopefully you've played at least one of them)? Which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for your help
    I think the Yamaha is a tad bit higher in the quality department but there are loads of snares in or near this price range that I think sound better to me anyway. The black swamp snare is a black beauty knock off that sounds almost equivocal and costs less. The Dunnette stainless 6.5X14 is a bit more expensive but a fatter throaty sweet sound that is better is hard to find. The sledghammer I played was brass I believe, Gretsch has an import line that is less expensive then their USA made stuff and although the quality isn't great their sound is darn good. They have a black nickel plated steel snare that has a sweet sound pretty fat a bit too focused for me to call truly fat but you may want to check it out. The yamaha sounded nice to my ears but like many yamaha snares it lacked a bit of personality but that doesn't mean it won't do what you want, I prefer some of their wood snares, tuned right sound as metal as a metal snare but from their older signature line some of which aren't available new anymore.

User Info Menu

In my opinion I would go for the Sledgehammer, it seems like a very nice, well rounded drum. I know Yamaha makes some pretty good drums though (I've not tried any however, they are pretty hard to find around here).

You have probably already heard this sound sample, but I'll post it up anyway:
    http://youtu.be/1Ug8qISFNmQ?t=42s (youtube embedding doesn't seem to be working for me today, so try the link)

And whenever I hear Sledgehammer I immediately think of this:
    http://youtu.be/I2iUQqp-zU8

Hope this helps a bit, and good luck with your choice! I don't think you'll go wrong with either drum.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos