Thread: Recording with Zoom H4N and Mixer

User Info Menu

Default Recording with Zoom H4N and Mixer

Hi,

I'm just getting started doing some recording. I have a Zoom H4N and a Micromix S16 mixer.

I've got 5 drum mics hooked into different channels in the mixer, and the mixer is connected to the Zoom via the Main line out in the back to the headphone port of the Zoom, as per the Zoom manual.

My problem is this: from what I understand, the great thing about the Zoom is that while doing multi-track recording I can listen to a count-in and a click track, as well as previously recorded tracks to make syncing up really simple. I can not do this with the headphone port in use as a connector to the mixer. Is there an alternate way to connect to the mixer thereby leaving the headphone port open? Or would a splitter work, so that I could connect and listen at the same time? Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording with Zoom H4N and Mixer

Hi Dean and welcome to DrumChat. My recommendation is to buy a headphone amp and use it as a DA (distribution amp). Most headphone amps have multiple outputs that allow you to connect more than one source to it and most headphone amps have at least two inputs with a center stereo knob that allows you to balance the two inputs. Good luck and I hope this helps you out.

Here's the orginial pdf layout diagram for the zoom recorder:

Here's how I would install the headphone amp between the recorder and the other sources that you can intergrate it with:

#1)- headphone out from recorder to input #1 to headphone amp
    #2)- plug in the other sources to the output of the amp so you can here the click and count in from the zoom recorder.

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^

Serioiusly, late8 has the right idea on how to connect your system.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Wow, thank you for the quick and informative answer, that helps a lot.

This is a fantastic website and I will definitely be back with more questions as I go through the recording process.

Cheers,
    Dean

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Wow, thank you for the quick and informative answer, that helps a lot.

This is a fantastic website and I will definitely be back with more questions as I go through the recording process.

Cheers,
    Dean
    You're welcome Dean! We hope you stick around!!

User Info Menu

I got a question. Does this camera already come with all the cords required to do what late8 has shown inthe diagraph.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    I got a question. Does this camera already come with all the cords required to do what late8 has shown inthe diagraph.
    It's only an audio recorder and does not have a camera. As far as cords, it comes with the USB and AC adapter.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

One more question about the Zoom (and inputs/outputs in a larger sense I suppose):

If the mixer is plugged into one of the outputs in the headphone amp, then does the Zoom register the mics and levels that the mixer is producing? I'm wondering because now the Zoom is not directly connected to the mixer. Also, the diagram that came with the headphone amp shows the mixer connected to the amp's input (minus the Zoom of course), so I don't understand how it can work both ways.

I will be trying out the setup, but this question came to me and I thought I'd ask to get a better understanding of recording and pathways between components.

Dean

User Info Menu

I've read this a few times to be sure I'm not missing anything, but I'm a bit confused. Assuming you are try to record a performance...you are connecting the main "out" of your mixer to the headphone port on the h4n, but that is a headphone/line "out" as well. I think that diagram shows how to play something stored on the Zoom SD card through a sound system by taking the headphone "out" to a line "in" on the board. What you want to do is take the left and right main "outs" of your mixer into the back of the h4n 1/4" inputs. I would set it up in 4 channel mode and put the recorder over your kit and use it as an overhead pair. You can later mix that with the stereo board pair sent to the inputs. That should work out well.

If I've misinterpreted what you're try to do, please let me know.

BTW - The h4n is one cool little device. I mic my kick and snare, send the signals to the h4n, and use it as an overhead to pick up cymbals and toms and I get a totally usable almost pro sound. Grab a cheap Bloggie or Playsport or even an iPhone and you've got YouTube quality stuff pretty easily.

User Info Menu

I think you may be right about this. I set up the Zoom as described, and I don't see how the mixer will have any effect on the recording if the Zoom is going IN to the amp and the mixer is coming OUT.

It is a tricky situation that I will figure out one day. In the meantime I think I'll mic the snare and kick and use the overheads like you said. Easier than messing around with a mixer anyway.

User Info Menu

I think you may be right about this. I set up the Zoom as described, and I don't see how the mixer will have any effect on the recording if the Zoom is going IN to the amp and the mixer is coming OUT.

It is a tricky situation that I will figure out one day. In the meantime I think I'll mic the snare and kick and use the overheads like you said. Easier than messing around with a mixer anyway.
    It's pretty easy and quick to set up and the results are great. Keep a close eye on your input levels so that you get usable audio later. My kick is set at 0.8, my snare at around 5, and the overheads anywhere from 8-15 depending on how loud I'm playing.

User Info Menu

Just to add nothing to the conversation I wanted to say HI..

ok really I was looking at the hn4 and wanted to see what my fellow drummies think and came acrost this little thread. I already have 2 camera's that will get good video and ok sound but I want good sound so I was thinking the hn4 and it appears I was thinking right.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I just bought a barely used H2 so that I can record practices, both of myself on my own & the band. I only got it yesterday so haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks like it should do the job.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    Just to add nothing to the conversation I wanted to say HI..

ok really I was looking at the hn4 and wanted to see what my fellow drummies think and came acrost this little thread. I already have 2 camera's that will get good video and ok sound but I want good sound so I was thinking the hn4 and it appears I was thinking right.
    You are indeed. I've done my last 15 YT cover videos with mine and I think they sound great for as little money and effort as I expended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    I just bought a barely used H2 so that I can record practices, both of myself on my own & the band. I only got it yesterday so haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks like it should do the job.
    It's pretty versatile and in general reproduces what you hear in person. Place it somewhere you are getting a good sound with your band and the recording will reflect that. You can also take a line out of your mixer into one of the inputs and get a totally clean sound.

User Info Menu

Hi ShaneRoney,

What are your inputs in terms of recording levels? When you say overheads at 12-15 etc., what have you set the recording level at? I'm not sure how you find 0.8 dB and so forth.

Dean

User Info Menu

Hi ShaneRoney,

What are your inputs in terms of recording levels? When you say overheads at 12-15 etc., what have you set the recording level at? I'm not sure how you find 0.8 dB and so forth.

Dean
    On the right side is a button marked REC LEVEL -/+. When you press it, the h4n prompts you to select an input source (mic, 1, or 2). After pressing one, that button adjusts the mic sensitivity (1-100. When you go below 1, it switches to tenths (0.9, 0.8,...). I usually end up setting mine at 12 for the condenser mics, 0.8 for my kick, and 5 for my snare.

User Info Menu

I am having a problem using external mics on the H4n. Cymbal sound is muddy while drum sound is fine. Please help! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Its all about positioning the H4 I find the best is 5-6 feet out in front of the kit at the same height as your toms. Then its about what the ear would hear.