Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a job at Guitar Center haha

User Info Menu

Default I got a job at Guitar Center haha

Pretty cool work environment, as you would assume lol. I'm in operations right now, wouldn't mind going to sales though. I would make a killing haha. Anyone else work for GC? How do you like it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I got a job at Guitar Center haha

I work at a Sam Ash and I know a few people who worked/work at guitar center. Many of them quit or were fired because of the quotas you have to meet in terms of selling extended service plans and stuff.
    However, my operations guys love their job and when asked, don't want to do sales because they like it better where they are.

Other than that, my store hires plenty of ex-GC people

Either way, im sure it will be a good experience for you and you will learn a lot about various drums and parts and little things that you've never seen before, I definitely have.

Additionally, I don't know your employee discount situation there, but where I work, you can get an even greater discount if you deal directly with the manufacturer rather than buying through the store.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 03-01-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Good luck working for GC you will need it LOL Once you get enough experience it will open doors for you with a better music store as long as you stay out of sales cause GC has a bad reputation for salesmen.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new job. Dont let these guys scare you about GC sales guys, there are good and bad in every company.

User Info Menu

any job is a good thing these days..so make the most and learn all you can..you may be surprised and how many musicans in your area that you may have never gotten a chance to meet.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't work at GC if you paid me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I wouldn't work at GC if you paid me.
    Funny!

rsshortstack22, congrats on the new job! I'm sure you will learn a lot. Just make sure you don't end up just handing them back your paycheck for all the gear you get! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the job. I applied there a couple days ago, and am still awaiting word. What's is operations?
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Funny!

rsshortstack22, congrats on the new job! I'm sure you will learn a lot. Just make sure you don't end up just handing them back your paycheck for all the gear you get! LOL
    haha ill try not to!

And operations is basically receiving/shipping/stocking type things.

Since I've worked there about two weeks, I still really like it. eveyrone is totslly chill, and super helpful. I like operations because its a steady pay, steady schedule, and it allows me to spend as much time in the back as the front lol. I still get to talk to customers, and I dont have to wear a uniform seems like a good college gig for the time being. Also, I joined a band a while back, so this should help haha

User Info Menu

I applied there a couple weeks ago, was honest about my tour schedule this summer, manager was very appreciative, said he would hired me if my schedule had been open, but that I would have been let go without much of a chance of returning had I dumped that bombshell on them after being hired (I'll be out of town for two months, ha.) Because I was straightforward and honest, the managers seemed to take a liking to me and told me they'd hire me on the spot when I got back with an open schedule. So now I have that to look forward to! I'm unsure if I'll be in operations or sales, one seemed to want me in operations, the other wanted me in sales. I could care less. The benefits rock.

GC has seemed to almost turn into a hot button topic in the past with this forum, which sucks. It's obvious that some stores are worlds apart from others. My local store (Rt. 59, Aurora IL) is awesome. There are other drum shops in Chicago I would go to first for some things, but for the most part I do not mind shopping at the local GC. Chicago has an abundance of amazing stores. (Steve Maxwell's, literally right down the street. Vic's shop, and the Chicago Music Exchange. All great.) You'll find in your handbook that you can't shop at other places, I believe they call it conflict in interest. That's one rule I would have broke reeeeally fast.

It's a great job for a musician. They treat their employees well. You'll find it very hard to not spend your paycheck when you see what some discounts are. It's pretty crazy. My friend/brother (kinda just took him in, long story) works at another GC in the area. Multiple guitars over a grand each, new cabs and heads, Mogami's everywhere, just the works. He even bought me that 21" crash down there, haha. Just... be careful!

Let me know how it is! I'd be interested to hear about your first week. Nice work!
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    Pretty cool work environment, as you would assume lol. I'm in operations right now, wouldn't mind going to sales though. I would make a killing haha. Anyone else work for GC? How do you like it?
    Which store are you at
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong, i'm a musician the same as anyone else here but one thing keeps me from saying i'd love to do it. THE NOISE!!!! I'd go insane listening to every instrument being played max volume for hours and hours at a time, from all skill levels. I would almost certainly need some good pain medicine just to make it through the day. It would be really nice to be around all the gear, mess with it, learn what's good and bad. The learning experience about it alone is the real pay you'll get out of working there.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i'm a musician the same as anyone else here but one thing keeps me from saying i'd love to do it. THE NOISE!!!! I'd go insane listening to every instrument being played max volume for hours and hours at a time, from all skill levels. I would almost certainly need some good pain medicine just to make it through the day. It would be really nice to be around all the gear, mess with it, learn what's good and bad. The learning experience about it alone is the real pay you'll get out of working there.
    Good point.

User Info Menu

Alot of people on this website would love to have a job like yours, what a cool job environment.

Good luck with your job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That's one of the reasons that keeps me away.

I can understand if someone is seriously looking to buy, but 95% of the time - it's some meathead boogereater beating the tar out a kit with the same eighthnote phrase over and over and over again.

Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash.

I leave after about the fifth one.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post

Well then how do you know they play it 14 times?

User Info Menu

rrshortstack22 you should try to work your way up to the drum division cause of what I have read the salesmen there don't have a clue about drums. Go show them what it is to be a good salesman who know something about drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Congrats on the new job. Dont let these guys scare you about GC sales guys, there are good and bad in every company.
    Luckily for me the salesmen are good where I am at. They have the knowledge needed to run a music store. Awhile back I was wanting a certain pair of sticks and it showed that they had them but they guy couldn't find them. He worked for 30 minutes until he did. I sent an email later to his manager telling him what my experience was there and that they had hired a very good and patient employee.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I am so stealing that for my new signature line.

User Info Menu

That's one of the reasons that keeps me away.

I can understand if someone is seriously looking to buy, but 95% of the time - it's some meathead boogereater beating the tar out a kit with the same eighthnote phrase over and over and over again.

That was so funny I laughed till I cried - the part that got me was the 'fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga' section
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting the job man. The employee discounts, the smell of newly opened boxes of music gear and getting paid to do it is cool. Beats flipp'n burgers...

User Info Menu

I was offered a part time job at GC this past fall that I hoped would be a good supplement to my income from my full time job(plus the employee discount, which is their cost). It was in Operations as well. The Operations and Sales managers who interviewed me (the interview went over an hour, which is probably long for that type of position) were cool guys and I would have loved to work there, but after figuring out how many hours I would be available to work per week, the hourly wage after taxes, and the cost of gas getting to and from the store, I decided it wasn't worth the additional time taken away from my family. It's too bad though because if I'd had to work a second job, that's the one to have.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    congrats on getting the job man. The employee discounts, the smell of newly opened boxes of music gear and getting paid to do it is cool. Beats flipp'n burgers...
    +1

User Info Menu

How are you getting on at your job?

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    rrshortstack22 you should try to work your way up to the drum division cause of what I have read the salesmen there don't have a clue about drums. Go show them what it is to be a good salesman who know something about drums.
    Not true with all of them.

As far as the application I put in, it seems there was some computer error and they don't have record of it. So I have to put in another one.
    Last edited by groovearteest; 03-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian