Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injuries while playing the drums

User Info Menu

Default Injuries while playing the drums

The "choke" thread got me thinking about this. Do you guys ever hurt yourself playing the drums? I'm notorious for cracking my nuckles on the ride cymbal now and then when I'm playing too hard.

User Info Menu

Other than what I posted about the choke, there's the occasional stick to the eye, beater to the shin, and knuckle to the hoop. All of which suck equally lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

changing drum heads, im prone to whacking and busting open my knuckles

Christmas i was changing my rack toms head, i couldnt get it off, i pushed it, and it gave way, but i whacked my knuckle on the rim and took a ton of skin off, left me with a scar

Tuning my marching snare drum, my hand slipped, and i busted open my same knuckle i did in christmas, so i have a part of a scar left, and a slight scab

User Info Menu

I got hit in the shin with my beater and accidentally hit my glasses my my sticks <_<
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

The stick in the eye/ face every now and then, the beater to the shin every so often. I have got a bunch of scars on my knuckles because I accidentally get to into the music and hit them on the rim on my snare, never and other drum though for some reason.

A rare one however was I hit my collar bone with a stick a week after it had recovered from being broken and it hurt extremely bad, went to hospital they checked it out, told me I had damaged the tissue or something and that I shouldn't play drums or any sport for another week.

User Info Menu

I just hit my foot with the left beater while barefoot, it hurt really bad lol. How do you adjust how far back it sits?

User Info Menu

I have hit my foot many times with the sticks i can't remember something else!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I just hit my foot with the left beater while barefoot, it hurt really bad lol. How do you adjust how far back it sits?
    this is why i could never play barefoot. i did that before and it left a large bruise on my foot.
    when i was starting out i would whack my fingers or my right knee. often breaking vessels or fracturing the finger.

User Info Menu

Not realy I gotta say. Blisters sometimes, probably whacked my nuckles a few times too, but nothing ever serious or that left an impression - I just have a vague recollection that I have hit my hands at times now and then. Oh, and I have hit my shin with the beater before too, but it was just annyoing more than anything, happened becuase of the pedal setting, so I moved it forward and it stopped.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Ouch guys, those knuckle injuries must really suck big time! Nothing serious for me. Hit myself once with the stick and got over it and have had a little pain sometimes where my middle (bird) finger joins my palm but that comes and goes.

User Info Menu

When I hit my knuckles it's because I'm so into the music that I am moving quickly and with heavy movements, the rush of whatever I'm playing to means that I don't feel any pain or notice much other than what could be described as a small burning sensation on my knuckle, other than that I barely feel a thing and don't notice it until it starts pouring blood. And I do have a few spots of dried blood on my snare head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by george007 View Post

How do you hit your feet wth your sticks - shouldn't they be no where near each other?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    this is why i could never play barefoot. i did that before and it left a large bruise on my foot.
    when i was starting out i would whack my fingers or my right knee. often breaking vessels or fracturing the finger.
    I can happily say that in two years of drumming that has NEVER happened to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by george007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    How do you hit your feet wth your sticks - shouldn't they be no where near each other?
    I think he means his beater.

User Info Menu

Oh, ok - otherwise that is one interesting way of playing drums. I don't know how you could hit your actualy foot with the beater though - like I said, becuase of the way one that I used once was setup, it would go back to my shin (plus I was sitting kinda close anyway), but how could it hit your foot?

User Info Menu

Hitting your knuckle off the rim of your snare is painful, do that quite a lot :(
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz W View Post
    Hitting your knuckle off the rim of your snare is painful, do that quite a lot :(
    Thats why i often play traditional grip these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Oh, ok - otherwise that is one interesting way of playing drums. I don't know how you could hit your actualy foot with the beater though - like I said, becuase of the way one that I used once was setup, it would go back to my shin (plus I was sitting kinda close anyway), but how could it hit your foot?
    the way i hurt my foot with the beater was...playing my dbl pedals bare foot. i like my beaters fairly far back and with a bit of spring tension. when i switch my left foot from kick to hats, the left beater of the dbl pedal snaps back and hits the top of my right foot.

drums-rock Guest

i usually hit a drum or something and let go for some reason and it coems back in my face lol

User Info Menu

That's exactly what happened to me Funky.

User Info Menu

i'v never really injured myself, apart from randomly drumming on my leg with my sticks, i have however nearly knocked out the guitarist, keyboardist and lead singer from when i gt my sticks stuck under my cymbals. gouged my leg with a cymbal when the bolt on the top came loose and the cymbal fell off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    I think he means his beater.
    Yes vinny!
    Sorry wrong word!

User Info Menu

A stick in the eye, so far, is the only injury I have experienced

User Info Menu

just today i was playing and i missed my snare and wacked my knee.
    and i ve had my stick bounce of my snare and hit me in the eye a few time.

User Info Menu

One time i was switching from my floor tom to my snare, then whack! right on my arm. =(