Thread: A bit of help with value, etc.

User Info Menu

Default A bit of help with value, etc.

Looking for a bit of help re: the current second-hand market value (and any background information anyone’s able to toss in) for a kit I just bought.

It’s a DW kit which Doane Perry toured (in the UK [where I’m located] with Jethro Tull) and used for a handful of drum clinics c.1989/90 so it has the odd minor scuff and scrape here and there on the shell wrap (nothing serious or unsightly and certainly not enough to impair the tone or anything like that) and, save for the occasional outing for practice (a handful of times a year), it’s pretty much been in storage ever since. It’s mounted on a basic two-part Gibraltar Power Rack System and includes 10, 12, 14, 15 and 16” toms (RIMS mounted), 24” bass and a Ludwig brass snare (blue and olive badge – presumably the same vintage), finished in Ruby Red wrap (with a fine particle sparkle). Cymbals (all Sabian) include an 16” HH medium crash, 18” HH medium thin crash, 20” AA medium ride, 14” AA Rock hats, a 16” AA Chinese and an XS20 14” medium thin crash. There’s also a Remo Dynamax throne and a DW5000 pedal.

Condition-wise, the rack hardware and boom arms, while perfectly serviceable, could do with an upgrade (the snare stand and the Dixon hi-hat stand are also fine but nothing to write home about), the bass pedal is generally good but could use a refurb and, aside from the occasional/aforementioned minor scrape, the drums are in great overall condition and the chrome has cleaned up nicely (i.e. no pitting, visible scratches or dings). The cymbals are all fine (no keyholing, etc. and only slightly faded logos), save for the 18” crash which is developing a crack (currently about 1 cm) on the outer edge. For completeness, it has Remo Weatherking tom batter heads (resonant heads are the original DW), Ebony Series bass heads (the resonant head has an unusually large 12” port hole cut in it) and Ambassador snare heads.

Because of its age (indeterminate: the only clue is the 1989/90 tour use reference), it’s hard to know much about it: it doesn’t have the DW date stamp but the shells have black print on silver badges (‘A Quality Instrument’), serial numbers are 3048XX and the Ludwig snare S/N (for which I don’t know the exact model) is 2092065.

I’m unable to upload pics at the moment but will try in the coming days. In the meantime, if anyone’s able to fill in any gaps in its likely origin, etc. and/or give me a heads-up on the approximate value, I’d really appreciate it (I’ll tell you what I paid for it if the responses don’t make me look foolish!).

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

D.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A bit of help with value, etc.

Welcome aboard, Dave. I'm not much of a gear historian, but there are a lot of people on this site that are. I'm sure someone will chime in. Being as though it has some historical value, you can probably tack onto whatever amount you learn about. Sounds like a cool kit. On the picture upload problem, I'm sure you went to the post that explains how to do it, right? There is a waiting period, or you have to have a certain number of posts, before you can post pics I think.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Cheers, Wolvie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lannen View Post
    Looking for a bit of help re: the current second-hand market value (and any background information anyone’s able to toss in) for a kit I just bought.

It’s a DW kit which Doane Perry toured (in the UK [where I’m located] with Jethro Tull) and used for a handful of drum clinics c.1989/90 so it has the odd minor scuff and scrape here and there on the shell wrap (nothing serious or unsightly and certainly not enough to impair the tone or anything like that) and, save for the occasional outing for practice (a handful of times a year), it’s pretty much been in storage ever since. It’s mounted on a basic two-part Gibraltar Power Rack System and includes 10, 12, 14, 15 and 16” toms (RIMS mounted), 24” bass and a Ludwig brass snare (blue and olive badge – presumably the same vintage), finished in Ruby Red wrap (with a fine particle sparkle). Cymbals (all Sabian) include an 16” HH medium crash, 18” HH medium thin crash, 20” AA medium ride, 14” AA Rock hats, a 16” AA Chinese and an XS20 14” medium thin crash. There’s also a Remo Dynamax throne and a DW5000 pedal.

Condition-wise, the rack hardware and boom arms, while perfectly serviceable, could do with an upgrade (the snare stand and the Dixon hi-hat stand are also fine but nothing to write home about), the bass pedal is generally good but could use a refurb and, aside from the occasional/aforementioned minor scrape, the drums are in great overall condition and the chrome has cleaned up nicely (i.e. no pitting, visible scratches or dings). The cymbals are all fine (no keyholing, etc. and only slightly faded logos), save for the 18” crash which is developing a crack (currently about 1 cm) on the outer edge. For completeness, it has Remo Weatherking tom batter heads (resonant heads are the original DW), Ebony Series bass heads (the resonant head has an unusually large 12” port hole cut in it) and Ambassador snare heads.

Because of its age (indeterminate: the only clue is the 1989/90 tour use reference), it’s hard to know much about it: it doesn’t have the DW date stamp but the shells have black print on silver badges (‘A Quality Instrument’), serial numbers are 3048XX and the Ludwig snare S/N (for which I don’t know the exact model) is 2092065.

I’m unable to upload pics at the moment but will try in the coming days. In the meantime, if anyone’s able to fill in any gaps in its likely origin, etc. and/or give me a heads-up on the approximate value, I’d really appreciate it (I’ll tell you what I paid for it if the responses don’t make me look foolish!).

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

D.
    The "A Quality Instrument Badge" with just a serial number on the badge is late 80s to early 90s. These drums are keller shells, and they will not have any serial numbers, date stamp, or any note value.

By the serial number you posted, its likely late 80s. By the 90s, they had run through their serial numbers and began adding "A" and "B" in front of their serial numbers.

Right around '92-'93, they switched to a black and gold badge that had along the top "Hand Crafted Since 1972".

Somewhere around '94-'95, they started to add in Serial numbers and "born on" dates to the shells. This was followed by the addition of the note value stamp around the same time (if not at the same time).

Around '97 they switched to a Black badge with silver lettering that also had "Hand Crafted Since 1972" This is also when DW began to manufacture their own shells.

They kept that until I think '03 or '04 when they switched to a Gold with Silver Lettering Badge

Since 2009 DW has been using the Silver badge with black lettering. which I can't add because I'm only allowed 4 images to a post "Doh"

Hopefully this helps.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Just for the information. My drums with the ''A Quality Instrument'' do have serial numbers, which are 03805 to 03809. They also have stamps inside which are all 01189.
    The number before the 0 is drilled, but its most likely October (the only month with a 0 in it) the 11th 1989.
    Last edited by musiqman; 06-05-2016 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    The "A Quality Instrument Badge" with just a serial number on the badge is late 80s to early 90s. These drums are keller shells, and they will not have any serial numbers, date stamp, or any note value.

By the serial number you posted, its likely late 80s. By the 90s, they had run through their serial numbers and began adding "A" and "B" in front of their serial numbers.

Right around '92-'93, they switched to a black and gold badge that had along the top "Hand Crafted Since 1972".

Somewhere around '94-'95, they started to add in Serial numbers and "born on" dates to the shells. This was followed by the addition of the note value stamp around the same time (if not at the same time).

Around '97 they switched to a Black badge with silver lettering that also had "Hand Crafted Since 1972" This is also when DW began to manufacture their own shells.

They kept that until I think '03 or '04 when they switched to a Gold with Silver Lettering Badge

Since 2009 DW has been using the Silver badge with black lettering. which I can't add because I'm only allowed 4 images to a post "Doh"

Hopefully this helps.
    Love reading stuff about this, you do know your stuff well, thanks for sharing!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've put the most common badges in order:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1757142&type=1

Badge number 5 is one that I can't place in the timeline though.

User Info Menu

Wow, a 3yr old thread! Guess we never will find out what he paid. Not that it matters now, but I'm guessing that being owned/used by a famous drummer means nothing without some type of documentation or proof of authenticity. Otherwise, it's just another used set of drums.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham