Thread: add-on Timbales?

User Info Menu

Default add-on Timbales?

I'm looking for a 10" or 12" timbale that mounts onto a standard accessory l-rod as part of a percussion set. The 2 best options that I have found are the Pacific 10" Mini Timbale and Toca 12" Drum Set Timbale. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
    Specific to the Pacific Timbale: how low can it be tuned and still sound good? There is already a piccolo snare in this set-up which is tuned pretty high so I would want there to be a decent pitch difference between the two drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: add-on Timbales?

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I'm looking for a 10" or 12" timbale that mounts onto a standard accessory l-rod as part of a percussion set. The 2 best options that I have found are the Pacific 10" Mini Timbale and Toca 12" Drum Set Timbale. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
    Specific to the Pacific Timbale: how low can it be tuned and still sound good? There is already a piccolo snare in this set-up which is tuned pretty high so I would want there to be a decent pitch difference between the two drums.
    I know this is a couple months old, but there is not nearly enough traffic in the percussion section, so I'm reviving a few older threads...

I've been using an LP drumset timbale, 12x4, for a couple of years and it sounds great. I believe they have 12x4, and 13x4 black or 12x5.5 and 13x5.5 in chrome. I've also had a brass 13" Pearl one for a long time and it holds up well. I'd say tuning time depends on how hard you hit, but my LP holds it tuning as well as any mid range drumset tom does.

User Info Menu

I ended up getting a set of roto toms instead. Not timbale-like, but some more sounds. I am still looking for timbales, however I think I'd get a regular double set with a stand now. Are there any sets that use a standard drum key? There is the option of getting a 12" and 13" drumset timbale and mounting them to a percussion clamp but I would like the set to be at least 13" and 14" for more tuning choices. Has anyone tried the LP Aspires with better heads? They seem to have drum key tuning but are more of a beginner set, however with new heads they might sound better?

User Info Menu

The LP matadors are pretty good if you can afford them. Pacific timbales fall into the same category rotos and octobons do, they're effect drums. Not technically true timbale sound, but a good accent for drumkit players.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've be banging on the same set of Matadors for almost 15 years now and they still sound great. The stock heads lasted 5 years, then I went to the Evans J1 Etched. They are super thin and sound amazing. I've used one or the other on the left of my hihat quite a bit. The 15" tuned really low is killer, and you can float a cowbell off the rim easily. I'm seeing used sets going for $200-250, well worth it in decent condition.

User Info Menu

Roto toms can do a good timbale impersonation. Great for reggae intro's and such.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yeah what he said,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I own a regular sized pair of Mano Percussion timbales (13"& 14") and a pair of Dixon mini timbales (8"& 10"). I use the mini timbales way more than the regular ones, as the mini timbales would often be part of a full acoustic percussion set (with congas, bongos and various odds and ends) or one or two of them would be added to the left side of a regular drumset (often together with a small auxillary snare on that side). Tuned right, they have a great ring and crack. The larger timbales I'd get out usually if I'm jamming with Latin musician mates, as the smaller timbales you can't play cross-stick patterns on (obviously due to the diameter of their heads) plus the larger shells of the Mano Percussion timbales sound better when playing cascara patterns.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Here's something else for anyone looking for a timbale sound to consider. I just got a Pearl Firecracker snare, 12x5 last night. With no muffling and the snares off, it sounds exactly like a 12" timbale would. The resonant head doesn't get in the way at all. You also get an awesome small snare sound. I'll post a video with sound samples sometime this week.