Thread: Are there names given to regular drum beats?

User Info Menu

Default Are there names given to regular drum beats?

Hey folks,

Just wondering if there are particular names given to beats which would be used a lot when drummers speak to each other?

For example, if I said "Can you play the money beat?" the drummer would (or should) know that I'm talking about playing the kick on the 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, with eight notes occuring on the hi hat?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are there names given to regular beats?

Hi Tom, I guess I can start with one called the "Train Beat" It's pretty popular in Country music.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Straight rock
    1/2 time rock
    Blues shuffle
    Two-handed shuffle
    12/8 Ballad
    Slow swing
    Fast swing
    Train Beat
    Samba
    Bossa Nova
    Disco beat
    Ska
    One drop
    Polka or "2 beat"
    Waltz
    etc.

I'll think of some more. These are off the top of my head.

User Info Menu

Thanks, it's always a pleasure went I visit this site.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Straight rock
    1/2 time rock
    Blues shuffle
    Two-handed shuffle
    12/8 Ballad
    Slow swing
    Fast swing
    Train Beat
    Samba
    Bossa Nova
    Disco beat
    Ska
    One drop
    Polka or "2 beat"
    Waltz
    etc.

Thanks, drummer. Although, wouldn't some of these (Ska, one drop, polka and waltz) be more a description of the style of music/rhythm rather than a specific beat?

Like saying a reggae only has a kick on beat 3.

*EDIT: The more I think about it, the less distinction there is between them actually

User Info Menu

Blast, hammer blast, bomb blast, gravity blast.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

If you said the "money beat" I might have to jump into Money by pink floyd. A little 7/8. Watch out for that haha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Blast, hammer blast, bomb blast, gravity blast.
    Beat me to it.

Kollias also calls the hammer blast a "down blast", I believe.

User Info Menu

Rosanna Shuffle, to contribute one.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Larry, Moe, and Curly

User Info Menu

Double hand shuffle, with a 4 on the floor kick and ghost note roll with the left hand on the "and" of beat 4 is known as the "Texas Shuffle."

On most slow blues songs that I jam on I use this because the typical slow blues is boooooooring.

Another off the top of the head is a rumba.

Extreme music beats and Blast beats have names as well:
    Skank/punk beat
    Unison/Hammer Blast
    Alternating Blast
    Hoaglan Blast
    Gravity blast

Just to name a few.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are there names given to regular drum beats?

Sparrow special, Special sparrow, and flying Sparrow are a few I came up with that have really taken off in the local community.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    Sparrow special, Special sparrow, and flying Sparrow are a few I came up with that have really taken off in the local community.
    I just saw Danny Carey doing youtube lesson on the Flying Sparrow, but he kept flubbing it up. He was gracious and apologized... said he was still trying to figure it out!
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I just saw Danny Carey doing youtube lesson on the Flying Sparrow, but he kept flubbing it up. He was gracious and apologized... said he was still trying to figure it out!
    lol, ah yeah, good ol' Danny. I tried giving him some pointers on it, but. Decent drummer. He might do something some day.

User Info Menu

the bread and butter beat. Think AC/DC kidding
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You got your actual named ones like drummer mentioned, but more than anything else I hear beats named by their time signature. 3/4, 4/4, 7/8, etc.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ska and reggae is one of my little specialties. May I contribute?

Particularly with the older ska musicians that I've come across, they'd often ask for:

"Steppers" or four-step: Meaning a "four to the floor" quarter note kick whilst you play all sorts of syncopated snare cross-stick patterns (think of a number of say Police tunes as a starter, such as the beginning of "Regatta De Blanc"). Or you can have just a simple cross-stick on "3" as you play the 4/4 bass drum pattern. The hi-hat can be straight 8th's, shuffled or even hints of swing. But the swing isn't exactly like a jazz swing, it's more of a kind of bounce between straight eighth's and shuffled or swung eighth's....a bit New Orleans like (due to one of reggae's roots in an older Latin-like rhythm called Mento). A slower version of a "steppers" beat would be Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster", for example.

"One Drop": one of the basic yet absolutely essential reggae rhythms to know, because without understanding that, you won't get very far with the rest of the syncopated (and often improvised) reggae patterns. The one drop emphasizes a cross-stick plus bass drum hit landing usually (and quite often only) on the "3" in a bar. Which then means.....no downbeat on the bass drum on "1"....you avoid it as it will kill the offbeat feel. Now, the other thing is that the hi-hat may swing, shuffle or vary between the two, but never (unless you can cope with a band full of Rastas giving you the evil eye mumbling 'bwaaaai!" from under their dreads and beanies) never play the hi-hat with straight eighth notes. You can get away with quarters occasionally, if the song requires it. Listen to Bob Marley's " No Woman, No Cry". Improvise the hi-hat, and stop being so white.

"Two Step", "Rockers" or "Slow Two": a variation of the one drop, where here it is okay to put the bass drum on the "1" as well as the "3". However, the snare or cross stick still has to be on "3", never as a 2&4 back beat. Hi-hat's are often shuffled or "swung" as explained before. Ska sometimes uses this too.

There are also a few other names for rhythms, but these are pretty specific to this genre, and unless you're really heading down that path, you wouldn't often hear of "ragamuffin", "lover's rock", "sensi-beat" or "reggaeton" (which is usually programmed but you can come across live drummers doing reggaeton rhythms very occasionally).
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Rosanna Shuffle, to contribute one.
    Purdie Shuffle
    Jump Shuffle
    Kansas City Shuffle
    Texas Shuffle

And a whole bunch more I can't think of right now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Ska and reggae is one of my little specialties. May I contribute?

Particularly with the older ska musicians that I've come across, they'd often ask for:

"Steppers" or four-step: Meaning a "four to the floor" quarter note kick whilst you play all sorts of syncopated snare cross-stick patterns (think of a number of say Police tunes as a starter, such as the beginning of "Regatta De Blanc"). Or you can have just a simple cross-stick on "3" as you play the 4/4 bass drum pattern. The hi-hat can be straight 8th's, shuffled or even hints of swing. But the swing isn't exactly like a jazz swing, it's more of a kind of bounce between straight eighth's and shuffled or swung eighth's....a bit New Orleans like (due to one of reggae's roots in an older Latin-like rhythm called Mento). A slower version of a "steppers" beat would be Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster", for example.

"One Drop": one of the basic yet absolutely essential reggae rhythms to know, because without understanding that, you won't get very far with the rest of the syncopated (and often improvised) reggae patterns. The one drop emphasizes a cross-stick plus bass drum hit landing usually (and quite often only) on the "3" in a bar. Which then means.....no downbeat on the bass drum on "1"....you avoid it as it will kill the offbeat feel. Now, the other thing is that the hi-hat may swing, shuffle or vary between the two, but never (unless you can cope with a band full of Rastas giving you the evil eye mumbling 'bwaaaai!" from under their dreads and beanies) never play the hi-hat with straight eighth notes. You can get away with quarters occasionally, if the song requires it. Listen to Bob Marley's " No Woman, No Cry". Improvise the hi-hat, and stop being so white.

"Two Step", "Rockers" or "Slow Two": a variation of the one drop, where here it is okay to put the bass drum on the "1" as well as the "3". However, the snare or cross stick still has to be on "3", never as a 2&4 back beat. Hi-hat's are often shuffled or "swung" as explained before. Ska sometimes uses this too.

There are also a few other names for rhythms, but these are pretty specific to this genre, and unless you're really heading down that path, you wouldn't often hear of "ragamuffin", "lover's rock", "sensi-beat" or "reggaeton" (which is usually programmed but you can come across live drummers doing reggaeton rhythms very occasionally).
    Bro, good stuff! Especially the "One drop" section... Keep a cool hed mon, erry ting gwan be eyrye!
    Last edited by KCJones; 03-09-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: punctuation mon!!!!
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

Straight rock
    1/2 time rock
    Blues shuffle
    Two-handed shuffle
    12/8 Ballad
    Slow swing
    Fast swing
    Train Beat
    Samba
    Bossa Nova
    Disco beat
    Ska
    One drop
    Polka or "2 beat"
    Waltz
    etc.

of course cant forget my favorite named beat .. "Tony"
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

what's the one I hear called " four on the floor " ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

And I believe the "four on the floor" beat is so named because you sound the kick drum on each quarter beat of the bar.

User Info Menu

You forgot about the Markadiddle beat. Put shoes in the dryer and there you have it.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!