Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Rich Spinning!

User Info Menu

Default Buddy Rich Spinning!

I guess Tommy Lee wasn't the first one to do this

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buddy Rich Spinning!

Wow that was sick. Thanks for sharing, LG. I was expecting him to just rotate upright, but this was much cooler.

User Info Menu

Interviewer: "What do you think of drummers who do stuff like playing solos while hanging upside-down or tricks like that?"

Buddy Rich: "I think they are full of s**t."

User Info Menu

Way ahead of his time.

User Info Menu

I never knew that wow.

User Info Menu

does anyone know when and where this was done and more importantly how? How is he strapped in? It looks real but............
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

No idea how he did it..............I'd bet it was cool to see in real life

User Info Menu

There was probably a support hidden behind the curtain is my guess. Secret to any good trick is keeping up the illusion, making it seem like you're seeing one thing while another is going on.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-14-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very likely an illusion. He looks/sounds "very" comfortable while upside down. I'm not convinced he's actually upside down.

User Info Menu

It sure is real at first I thought that maybe someone played around with the video you know. Then when I saw the cymbals moving from side to side and then upside down. That is Buddy alright amazing drummer.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-14-2013 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Very likely an illusion. He looks/sounds "very" comfortable while upside down. I'm not convinced he's actually upside down.
    At first, that's what I thought too..........but you can see his cymbals move like he's upside down............

I just never thought I'd see one of the "old-timers" doing something like this....................but Buddy was a showman

User Info Menu

MD - About the thing on "What's My Line", you know, the playing upside-down thing?

BR - That was something that one of their directors thought of doing. I had never done anything like that before. Until you've tried it, I's very difficult to explain. You're playing against gravity and... it was a real challenge, it was interesting. I didn! know what to expect because I had never done that kind of thing before.

From an interview about it.

User Info Menu

Very cool.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Pretty cool for it's time. I believe this was done the same way the old time magicians used to "levitate" their assistants. A pole on a forklift is pushed through the back of the curtain slid in to a pipe that is attached to the back of the platform. So when the forklift lifts the platform, assistants behind the scenes rotate it.

When Buddy was spinning though, it looked awful jerky. It must be hard enough to play upside down let alone being jerked all over the place.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 03-14-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    MD - About the thing on "What's My Line", you know, the playing upside-down thing?

BR - That was something that one of their directors thought of doing. I had never done anything like that before. Until you've tried it, I's very difficult to explain. You're playing against gravity and... it was a real challenge, it was interesting. I didn! know what to expect because I had never done that kind of thing before.

From an interview about it.
    That's coming from the same guy that said he never practiced. Sorry, but I'm still skeptical.

User Info Menu

That's coming from the same guy that said he never practiced. Sorry, but I'm still skeptical.
    Lol, true. Although he did say he thought playing with a band was important and that would essentially be practicing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    Lol, true. Although he did say he thought playing with a band was important and that would essentially be practicing.
    Yup, lol. I'll meet you halfway on this one because honestly, I have no idea.

User Info Menu

yep, that's hard to believe.........................some people are just blessed with the natural talent though.

For the rest of us mere mortals......................practice, practice and more practice...................

User Info Menu

Buddy may have not practiced, but he did rehearse. (and the difference is... what exactly?)
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

That is awesome.
    21 year old drummer based out of Nevada City ca. I play drums in a prog rock band called "This is Radiation"

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/This-i...7910739?ref=hl

Bandcamp:
    http://thisisradiation.bandcamp.com/

User Info Menu

Here's one of the Newsboys drummer spinning, though not upside down.

BackStreetDrums Guest

On the BR spin, seeing is believing. Yet, he is too cool as he plays upside down. As a GREAT drummer he was, that kind of relaxed and continued playing while being spun would be even hard for a trained astronaut to 'sit' through...as much as I want to, I can not 'believe'

User Info Menu

I agree with the skeptics on this one. I don't think it happened. It looks too jerky plus I don't see any tie downs. Wish we could get full proof.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

on a side note here is a band that Mick Mars was in way before Motley Crue and his drummer did do it. 1975!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QfMHmmJhNqg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The clip is real and it was on "What's My Line". He was a "secret guest celebrity" and his thing was that he was going to play the drums upside down.

Also, he never did practice. On Johnny Carson's show 1 night, he said to Buddy that, having been to his house, that there wasn't any drums anywhere to be found, in fact, there isn't anything there to see that would let you know what he did for a living.

Anyone who has ever traveled with a band would probably tell you that there isn't time to practice, at least not practice as I look at it, where you sit down a play for a couple of hours. If you are on the road, there really isn't time for it.