Thread: We did it!!

User Info Menu

Default We did it!!

Well, we did it! Bottom Drawer was in the studio today (JamStage in Providence, RI) for a total of 5 hours and not only did we lay down the original 4 songs that we intended but we added a 5th! Now it's up to the sound engineer to post-produce the songs and get us our master. I had to play (gasp!) a DW set for the recording (they sounded damn good!). Used my Sonor Swinger chrome snare, my cymbals and my pedal. Everything else was DW. I know, I know - the Sonor guy has crossed over to the dark side!! Nah, I'm still a Sonor guy! DW's are nice but I still love my S-Class and am not about to change. As soon as we start getting the wave files from the engineer, I'll convert them to MP3 and post them for everybody to hear. I'll say this tho, even the raw files sounded great. Once they're all mixed down and EQ'd they'll be awesome! Hard to believe we've only played together like 9 or 10 times. Here's a couple of pix of me behind the DW's...

We had a blast! I recommend this place to anyone who is in or around the northeast.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

nice man, nice. 1 track at a time or all together live?

User Info Menu

We did it live with everything mic'd and everything on a seperate track. Used the "live" vocals as a dummy track and then dropped them out and overdubbed the "real" vocals (lead and back-up) on seperate tracks. We then went back and "fixed" the minor flaws... one guitar solo, a little picking section for one of the guitarist. But it really wasn't bad straight out of the box. Very little "correction" was necessary. We did two takes - no click track - and the sound guy said he'd use the best pieces of the two for his masters. It did sound good raw but the drums did boom through, especially the snare and bass. Once it's EQ'd and normalized then mixed down to a single track, it'll be excellent! It's really amazing what can be done digitally today that used to take hours and hours with tape before.

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats

User Info Menu

i hear ya man. while not professional i love my little 24trk digi recorder.

User Info Menu

Awesome! Great pics too. Thanks Stix!

User Info Menu

By the way, that's a beautiful kit!

User Info Menu

Very cool Stix! You look nice and relaxed behind that kit. Congratulations!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Very cool man, can't wait to hear the end result.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! PDP you would of loved this set (actually, you all would have)! It sounded incredible. I think the sizes were 8", 10" and 14" with an 18" bass or maybe it was a 20". I also never realized just how heavy duty DW stand are. Pretty awesome stuff! They had a DW 5000 pedal and matching snare but, as I said before, I used my own. This studio was absolutely incredible - drums were on a riser, Mesa Boogie amps, Marshall stacks, huge JBL monitors and PA. The cabs for the subwoofers (2 of them - one on each side of the stage) had to be at least 3'X3'X3'. Real stage lighting (PARS with the gel inserts all on suspended ladder racks), smoke/fog machine. All the mics were top notch pro stuff - from the vocal mics to the amp mics to the drum mics. Huge mixing board. They even had two mic's mounted high off the ceiling about midway into the room to pick up the ambient sound. Sound deadening panels on the back, front and side walls. I'll see if anybody got any more pix from further back and post them. The band was awestruck when they saw it (I had already been earlier to scope the place out so I had already gotten over my amazement). I can't wait for the finished product either but just the experience was worth the price of admission (which really wasn't that bad... paid $175. for 5 hours plus an estimated $175. for the post prod. work - total of $350. for five professionally recorded songs using top-shelf professional quality equipment). We all had a terrific time. Five hours literally flew by - it's true what they say about time flying when you're having fun.

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 08-20-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

they would have had to call to call the cops to drag me out the studio. i dont think i would ever want to leave a place like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Thanks guys! PDP you would of loved this set (actually, you all would have)! It sounded incredible. I think the sizes were 8", 10" and 14" with an 18" bass or maybe it was a 20". I also never realized just how heavy duty DW stand are. Pretty awesome stuff! They had a DW 5000 pedal and matching snare but, as I said before, I used my own. This studio was absolutely incredible - drums were on a riser, Mesa Boogie amps, Marshall stacks, huge JBL monitors and PA. The cabs for the subwoofers (2 of them - one on each side of the stage) had to be at least 3'X3'X3'. Real stage lighting (PARS with the gel inserts all on suspended ladder racks), smoke/fog machine. All the mics were top notch pro stuff - from the vocal mics to the amp mics to the drum mics. Huge mixing board. They even had two mic's mounted high off the ceiling about midway into the room to pick up the ambient sound. Sound deadening panels on the back, front and side walls. I'll see if anybody got any more pix from further back and post them. The band was awestruck when they saw it (I had already been earlier to scope the place out so I had already gotten over my amazement). I can't wait for the finished product either but just the experience was worth the price of admission (which really wasn't that bad... paid $175. for 5 hours plus an estimated $175. for the post prod. work - total of $350. for five professionally recorded songs using top-shelf professional quality equipment). We all had a terrific time. Five hours literally flew by - it's true what they say about time flying when you're having fun.

Stix
    What a great experiance, I can't wait for the day I get to actually go into a real studio and lay some sic drums tracks down, and that day is quickly coming.

And yes DW makes incredible drums and hardware.