Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if you were opening a drum shop.

User Info Menu

Default Re: if you were opening a drum shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    How about an 'Open Throne' night? Like karaoke for drummers. You pick the song out of a bank of drumless tracks, and then wait your turn to get on stage and jam. I personally think this would draw a very nice crowd to watch/learn from others and network with other musicians. Big crowds also translates into a singing cash register.

Tex
    There is actually a venue close to where I live that does this. It's all instruments, not just drums. It's all in good fun as you get people of all walks of life and talent.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Something off the beaten track to consider, but definitely something well worth considering when hiring staff, if feasible: at least one or two staff members that know how to do proper drum, cymbal, hardware and percussion repairs. You'd be amazed at how many people will want those, especially with items like pedals with broken chains, springs or squeaky footboards, cracked cymbals, lugs pulled out from over tensioning, warped rims, bent hi-hat rods, worn threads in lugs and cowbell wing nuts, warped laminate wraps, and so on and so on. The main store of Billy Hydes Drumcraft when it was at Surry Hills used to offer this service, although cymbal work was referred to a guy they had down in Melbourne from what I recall (having had a number of my cymbals drilled and cut down by these guys). Pretty handy for those who might not be confident or knowledgeable enough to do such things, who need to have them done.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    Hate to be a buzz kill, but Sam actually moved his shop up here to Eugene. Right across town from me.

I was actually just coming in here to mention his shop. He's a great guy who loves his customers. He's always taking pictures with them and sharing their stories on his facebook page.

One of my favorite things that he does is he offers free tuning to anybody who brings their drums in. And I think he's the only shop within 50 miles that does repairs and refurbishes.

That's what makes a good shop, to me; offering not just drums, but drum services.
    Hey Mike no problem.. I actually found out about that when I was seeing if he was still there. You have a good drum shop to go to now!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I would be more interested in providing a shop for drummers.
    Not the retail BS of the GC or the MF market..........can't compete with those guys.
    But, better, like an exchange drum center.............buy, sell, trade...........and try to provide a selection of vintage drums & cymbals............plus any service.
    The only retail part would be heads, sticks, hardware.
    Also a steady menu of clinics, as much as possible.
    Austin or Nashville perhaps.
    I would love to shop here. The "shop for drummers" as opposed to a drum shop is brilliant.

How about an 'Open Throne' night? Like karaoke for drummers. You pick the song out of a bank of drumless tracks, and then wait your turn to get on stage and jam. I personally think this would draw a very nice crowd to watch/learn from others and network with other musicians. Big crowds also translates into a singing cash register.

Tex
    This actually came to my mind as well. Examples of how the kits sound with the "rest of the band" would be of interest to me.

The only thing I could add would be instruction. GOOD teachers. This is sorely lacking in my area. I call the local music stores and get maybe two names, usually neither of which work with my schedule....

BTW, did he open the shop?
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

I wouldn't attempt to operate a "normal" retail drum shop. Their is no way you could compete with the internet on pricing.

I may do something like purchase lower end, really inexpensive kits, ($100 to $300) tune/clean them up, add some value and resell them to beginners for a 75 to 100% gross profit (which is what it takes to run a retail business).

You wouldn't make a lot of money but, if you really loved drums/drumming, it would be better than working in a cubicle all day.

Lessons would be good too. I'd just sit the kids down, show them what my Dad showed me and turn them loose for an hour......on an Ekit/headphones
    Last edited by NewTricks; 07-12-2014 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Tex
    I love this idea! Gotta approach the local shop about this one.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah I have thought about this as well, and if somehow you could combine a bar atmosphere it would be great. Have a stage set up with a decent sound system where anyone could get up and play for 15 minutes or longer if no one waiting.

Could even have band nights, solo nights. Of course serving alcoholic beverages would be great as well as maybe a game room or tv trivia. Give people a bunch of reasons to be in your shop other than just drums. Not sure how all the logistics work out, and location location location is always the biggest factor but definitly sounds like a place I would hang around in alot.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I like the idea of open mic night as stared above maybe have it were the shop puts on weekend concerts for small local bands. Also to touch to the whole selling used drums sell small company drums, restored or perfect condition vintage sets also would be cool.
    Sabian!!!