Thread: Effects on Drum Sound

User Info Menu

Default Effects on Drum Sound

So, since I also play guitar, I was reading some articles on flanger and phaser pedals. I was really surprised to run across an article that talked about using these effects on drums. The author noted that "Kashmir" had a phaser sound on Bonham's drums.

I know that compression and reverb is pretty standard, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has heard of using other effects, or if anyone has experimented with different effects.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Effects on Drum Sound

Whatever sounds good. Big delays and reverbs on dub reggae records are common. There was the gated reverb effect that was popular for 80's drum sounds (think Phil Collins). I don't see overdrives or distortions working, but I've never really tried them out. Experimentation is fun.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I never knew that they used a phaser pedal for the effect in the song Kashmir. I just assumed it was done in post production mixing. Interesting.

User Info Menu

Back in the '70s, another effect was to use a fuzz unit on the kick drum. Black Sabbath did this on their Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album.

Interesting times, indeed!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

sometimes our sound crew will use a digital delay on my snare , depends on the sound of the room , but they always use a little reverb and noise gates, every gig .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I never knew that they used a phaser pedal for the effect in the song Kashmir. I just assumed it was done in post production mixing. Interesting.
    Mark, I don't know that it was a pedal. It could have been something rack mounted, or it could have been post production, as you said. I just thought it was interesting that a phaser effect was used.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Mark, I don't know that it was a pedal. It could have been something rack mounted, or it could have been post production, as you said. I just thought it was interesting that a phaser effect was used.
    Sorry PB. I mis-read your first post. Apologies.

User Info Menu

No sweat Mark. I could have been more clear.

User Info Menu

I should just learn to read more thoroughly.

Reading! It's not only fun, it's funda, fundamen, fundament...

Important!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    No sweat Mark. I could have been more clear.
    what are those pedals for that guitarists use. I know there for effect, but what kind of effect?
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    what are those pedals for that guitarists use. I know there for effect, but what kind of effect?
    Tons: envelope filters, wahs, delays, modulation (chorus, flange, phaser), reverbs, delays/ehcos, distortions, synths, pitch effects, tremolos, panners, and on and on and on. www.ehx.com if you want to see just the tip of the iceberg.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

"Schism" by Tool sounds like it has some sort of effect on the drums in the beginning. Not sure what it is though.
    Matt

User Info Menu

The other drum effect that comes to mind is the flange or phaser on Peter Criss's drum solo. Remember how cool that single headed tom sound was back then?

User Info Menu

Most drum effects are probably applied in post production. Gating the snare is pretty common. Something I like to do is put a very slight flanger on closed hats. Adds a tiny bit more life to them. Skys the limit really.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.