Thread: Visiting Musicians Institute!

User Info Menu

Default Visiting Musicians Institute!

Got back from LA a week ago. Had a great time, did a bunch of sight-seeing but the main reason for the trip was to tour MI.

The school is on Hollywood Blvd. Crazy neighbourhood but it's a secure building.

I had a private tour on Friday March 1st. Lots of space (3 floors) with 30 drum practice rooms as well as classrooms, studios, and a theatre.

Saturday March 2nd was the Open House. About half the people in attendance were there for the audio engineering program!

The prospective drum students went to a presentation by the drum program chair and some alumni. 4 students got to go up and play a bit. Two were good, one so-so, and unfortunately one guy bombed. He was really nervous though.

I don't think I'll have any problems getting accepted with regards to my playing, I just need to get the $ in order (as well as my visa since I'd be an international student). I'm thinking of attending in Fall 2014 for 12 months.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Visiting Musicians Institute!

Few more snaps. Every kit in the place was a DW!

User Info Menu

That would certainly be an "interesting" neighborhood, but how cool to be able to tour a prospective school.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sweet! Good luck with your plan.

User Info Menu

I've heard a lot of good things about the school from people that went there. Couldn't help notice the Scientology building next door. I wonder how many kids they've converted. LOL

Gifts for Musicians

User Info Menu

Glad you enjoyed being in LA. I guess when you live like 45mins away your whole life, the appeal gets lost on your 30th trip lol, hence why i avoid the place at all cost now. As far as the school, ive heard great things about it. Never been, but heard great things. Good to know there all dw kits, nice to see a place be able to afford quality lol.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

My college kit instructor was Steve Houghton; at one time he was the leading drum instructor at PIT - MI.

http://www.houghtonmusic.com/

I wish he were still there to provide instruction for you............he is now a professor of music/percussion at Indiana University.
    Even though he is no longer at MI, I'm certain you will find all the quality instruction you can handle.

Good luck.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I went there and graduated in 2006. Great program!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    I went there and graduated in 2006. Great program!
    which one are you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    which one are you?
    the Jon Norris guy
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris