Thread: Set It and Forget It till you change rooms.

User Info Menu

Default Set It and Forget It till you change rooms.

Guys, back in December, I posted about my getting my Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite snare drum that took 150 days build and delivery time.
    Now, Im gonna tell ya about something Tama uses on this amazing snare drum that you can all benefit from.

Tama has a Tension Rod "Washer system" that prevents the tension rod from backing off due to vibration from your hitting the drum. Its a two washer system - the main washer is called the "Hold Tight" washer - its a two part washer - its a concaved shaped thin metal washer that crimps and holds a small rubber washer - - - and the second washer is a standard Nylon washer similar to the one Pearl uses. In combination, it works like a "Lock". When you first turn the tension rod, you can feel the washers "Unlock" before it starts turning easily. Ive been playing my Starclassic Bubinga Elite snare since December and it does not de-tune itself. I ordered enough of these to replace every tension rod washer I have on my drum kit.

I only wish it had been "Me" that had come up with this amazing system - I would be "wealthy" by now.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Set It and Forget It till you change rooms.

Sounds cool. I need a few of those for my snare. My t-rod nearest where my stick falls detunes fairly often.

User Info Menu

I am looking at them.How exactly are they installed. Might be a noob question but I don't want to buy anything and be confused with it.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Hmmm , I've never had an issue with my drums de-tuning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Sounds cool. I need a few of those for my snare. My t-rod nearest where my stick falls detunes fairly often.
    same here man. mainly where I do my rimshots
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I would think the weight of the hoops combined with how thick bubinga is would be enough to take care of re-tuning needs as well as any special tension rod or washer would.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I would think the weight of the hoops combined with how thick bubinga is would be enough to take care of re-tuning needs as well as any special tension rod or washer would.
    Maybe true to some extent. My Artwood with triple flanged hoops is the one that detunes. My birch Starclassic with cast hoops does not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

You might be correct - Tama installs these special washers on their Starclassic Bubinba snares - not sure they really need them but they put em on regardless.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!