Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st rock band audition in 4 hrs YIKES!!

User Info Menu

Default 1st rock band audition in 4 hrs YIKES!!

Contacted a band who had an ad on CL friday, they sent me their set list (about 40 songs) and told me to pick 10 and come audition on tuesday. I looked at it and saw 3 songs that I have done before and picked 7 more I know of but have never played.

I figured I would practice 2-3 hrs sat., 2-3hrs on sun, 1-2 mon. and hit the audition. Guess what...My Anniversary was yesterday so the wife had made plans all weekend and I of course remembered so away we went for the weekend..LOL. Needless to say no practice but I did bring a cd of the songs I was supposed to learn so I could atleast listen to em.

I took today off of work and have been practicing most of the morning, I've worked hard on 6 and am taking a break now. I am gonna go back and quickly go over the other 4 so I am done in about 30 minutes tops, then break the kit down and pack it in the truck. about 30 min. drive then set up time..I keep hoping they call and cancel but they wont and I am determined to go through this experience even if I bomb. I will let ya'll know how it goes tomorrow or late tonight. wish me luck

the 10 songs are,

Mary Jane
    Green River
    What I like about you
    Living after midnight
    Hotel California
    Stuck in the middle
    Lonely Boy
    500 Miles
    Love Shack
    Funky Music
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1st rock band audition in 4 hrs YIKES!!

Good luck with it!
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Good luck and keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Good luck! Just cut loose and you'll be fine.

User Info Menu

Have fun! Relax and enjoy the attention that will be cast down upon you. Nothing like being the 'cute blonde on the beach' for the short duration of the audition.

User Info Menu

Good luck.................hopefully it works out

User Info Menu

Overall I thought it went well,

I nailed a few of them and even surprised myself, they even mentioned how well I did on them. Then they started throwing other songs at me besides the 10 I agreed to learn. I did well on most although a fewI have never heard.

I have never heard of DR. Feelgood (the Band) but we did a few of their tunes and I really liked em,

They asked to play whip it by Devo but I told them I was not ready for that and would rather not as the hi hat beat is much too fast and I know it would have been a disaster. I know I probably should have given it a try but I also know it would have sucked had I tried it.

We played about 20 songs total and talked for a bit, seemed like a good bunch of people, the lead guitar player kept oogling over my Saturns, he kept saying they sounded really well and was asking how expensive they were. (Thank you Mapex; )

They really liked my timing and said I was doing alot of the little things that make the song sound good.

No one helped me lug anything inside bit they did help me put it all back in my truck which was cool.

They have 2 other people auditioning in the next 2weeks and will give me a call.

I was nervous as hell driving there but as soon as I started unloading everything and was ready to play I was completely comfortable. I also realized this was the 1st time in a long long timeI had played with other people and had not had atleast 1 beer. hmmmm
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    the lead guitar player kept oogling over my Saturns
    Of course he did

You had fun right? Getting the gig would be a bonus.

User Info Menu

sounds like you had a blast, keep us posted.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Overall I thought it went well,
    I nailed a few of them and even surprised myself, they even mentioned how well I did on them. Then they started throwing other songs at me besides the 10 I agreed to learn. I did well on most although a few I have never heard.
    I went through the same thing last November (although I did a lot of studio work, I had not played live in 14 years). Very nervous, but ultimately, I got the job.

The first gig was worse for me............in terms of nervous.
    It all appears to have worked out well and I'm happy in this new position.

Hope it goes as well for you.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Ahh, you should be right mate. Sounds like you did well considering the circumstances. They'd be a right bunch of mugs if they didn't pick you.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Good stuff. Glad it went well.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,

Just sent am e-mail this morning thanking them for the opportunity and whether I am chosen or not wishing them luck. The reply was promising.

they said I am a good match musically and personality wise and the other 2 drummers they are auditioning sound in their words "whiney and needy" and I have the inside track. I know things can change but sounds good so far. I should know something after the 19th.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

cool post, although getting here a little late, It all sounds very promising. I had to laugh when you said at the beginning you hoped they would cancel ! No such luck and you kept moving forward. Quite an adventure. Good luck. What's wifey think about it all ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Congrats on handling the audition so well MDK! It takes guts to answer an ad, and then to do the right thing for your wife, as well as the prospective band . . . well, that just says a lot about you. All the best!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you nailed it! Congrats!!!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good thing they didn't cancel.
    Glad to hear it went well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    cool post, although getting here a little late, It all sounds very promising. I had to laugh when you said at the beginning you hoped they would cancel ! No such luck and you kept moving forward. Quite an adventure. Good luck. What's wifey think about it all ?
    LOL thanks.. yeah reading that first post again is funny. I was starting to freak out.

The wife is very supportive and understanding. She loves sitting and watching me play and often dances. The buds Iplay with every now and then asked her to record a few songs we were doing and when we played the recorder back the next practice all we could hear was her singing along to every song.
    Last edited by MDK; 03-13-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Almost have the job...LOL here is an e-mail I got today..

Just wanted to touch base and see if you are still interested. We now have had 3 people bail on auditions and have several tentatives (fairly typical for Craigslist). I am still waiting to hear from the other band members to see if they agree so this would have to be a tentative offer until they "vote" but if we offered you the position would you be willing to commit? We really liked your chops and feel like you would fit personality wise. If you say yes I will lobby strongly for you.

I responded yes and hopefully he does not have to lobby too hard for me. 1st gig is on the 12th of april but they have another fill in drummer lined up if I am not ready.

Ideally I would like to be offered the job after they tried out a few others but I guess I can't be too picky at this point...

Now I have to tell the guys I been playing with for 4 yrs. I am not really sweating it though, one guy is already in a seperate regularly gigging band, another plays with some neighbors twice a month and makes great youtube video's.
    Last edited by MDK; 03-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

That's awesome MDK!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Very nice! Hope you get it.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Good job! Sounds like you're going to be having tons of fun soon!!

User Info Menu

Have fun in your new band!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Awesome stuff! Best of luck!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Outstanding! Congrats...