Thread: Ahead work out sticks

User Info Menu

Default Ahead work out sticks

Anybody have experience with ahead weighted work out sticks or another brand ? I have separate stick weights which I use on a practice pad but curious if there are other options that are better?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ahead work out sticks

Quote Originally Posted by hemiboy View Post
    Anybody have experience with ahead weighted work out sticks or another brand ? I have separate stick weights which I use on a practice pad but curious if there are other options that are better?
    Work out sticks? Come on. I've heard of everything now. Marketing departments are running out of ideas I guess.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

I use Jeff Moore Signatures on the pad. They're heavy and feel great for practice.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Work out sticks? Come on. I've heard of everything now. Marketing departments are running out of ideas I guess.
    Sounds gimmicky on the exterior, for sure, but heavy sticks for instance can help with endurance and control. They're not for everyone though.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

1 step up from what you normally use is all you need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    1 step up from what you normally use is all you need.
    Yep. I have 2B sticks and a pair of marching sticks for this.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I like warming up with heavy sticks. It makes you feel like you're holding balsa wood when you're ready to play. Kinda like a baseball player warming up with weighted rings on the bat. I've never used the Workout Sticks but I'm sure they're just like aluminum sticks only appear to have the plastic sleeve like the other Ahead drumsticks.

User Info Menu

No feed back don't need the sarcasm

User Info Menu

Who makes them and what size are they?

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong, I use larger sticks also when warming up and practicing. But to actually have a pair called "work out" sticks? I'm sure they cost more as well.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Yeah I have used marching sticks and other heavy sticks. I was Only referring to ahead weighted work out sticks. Do you have them or did you ever use them?
    Last edited by hemiboy; 03-13-2013 at 11:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I used 1 step up, and most of the time, the sticks I usually use, AJ 3's.

I don't think it hurt me in the speed department.

User Info Menu

I practice with 3as and 5bs. I also perform with these sticks, using lighter sticks to perform feels weird to me. 5a is the lowest I've ever gone, and I don't go that low often. I used to practice with 5b and perform with 5a but not anymore.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Thanks guys anyway I will uh a pair and try for myself

User Info Menu

I have heard several arguments for and against using weighted or bigger sticks for practice (and using softer surfaces such as pillows).

I, myself, say if your going to practice then practice with the sticks you normally use on like surfaces. Why change the weight and size and the surface if that's not what you use to play? You can still build strength, endurance, speed, accuracy and develop good technique without changing size, weight and surfaces.

Train your muscles and brain properly.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I have heard several arguments for and against using weighted or bigger sticks for practice (and using softer surfaces such as pillows).

I, myself, say if your going to practice then practice with the sticks you normally use on like surfaces. Why change the weight and size and the surface if that's not what you use to play? You can still build strength, endurance, speed, accuracy and develop good technique without changing size, weight and surfaces.

I don't think it would hurt to use heavier sticks to warm up or build endurance. As long as you are still playing with your regular sticks just as much I don't see how it would really matter.

Also, the picture in your sig is hilarious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    I don't think it would hurt to use heavier sticks to warm up or build endurance. As long as you are still playing with your regular sticks just as much I don't see how it would really matter.

Also, the picture in your sig is hilarious.
    I can understand the argument for both sides. I agree with using a stick a size bigger more so than I agree with weighted sticks or sticks several sizes bigger. But that's just my opinion and what I do is certainly not what's right for everyone.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

There is a lot of merit in the idea of a weight/heavier stick. When Im training for a fight, I use heavier 16oz gloves that way when I fight in my 10oz my hands feel like feathers and I dont tire out nearly as fast!

User Info Menu

Jack Gavin (formerly of The Charlie Daniels Band and Tanya Tucker) used to use sicks similar to this http://store.drumbum.com/skuSTK-69.html while warming up before a show.
    Mapex Pro M Cherry Fade
    Evans G2 / Genera Reso's on toms.
    Evans EC Reverse Dot on Snare
    Remo Powerstroke 3 batter / reso on bass.
    Can't find the right stick atm.
    Zildjian
    PDP and SP hardware
    Mapex Raptor Direct Drive and DW 7000 series Double Bass Pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post

i totally agree with this.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I will stick with the other heavier sticks when working rudiments and endurance like parade marching sticks and then when I am on the kit I will spend equal time using my regular stick which is usually a 5a something.

User Info Menu

I just bought a mick fleetwood DVD on his drums playing etc. Actually a do
    Good DVD. He uses the ahead sticks during performances etc he said

I'm going to go and check them out today. They have replaceable tips and 29 bucks. A pair.
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

I just bought a pair. They are not heavy I got a 5a. They fit my hands better then 5b. Will try them out next week and get back. These are playing sticks not workout ones 29 bucks so we will see
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers