Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermediate Drum Kit

User Info Menu

Default Re: Intermediate Drum Kit

I would look for a used Tama Starclassic Birch in your budget. I just got one in good condition for $399.99 and it is one the best sounding kits ( to my humble ears) that I have ever heard. I love birch drums, and this kit just has "the sound" I was searching for. If you can't find one of those, then I would get the Silverstar. Those are also super versatile, tuning wise.

But you really can't go wrong with most of the kits mentioned. I like the PDP FS as well, or you can find a use PDP CX, LX,or MX for pretty cheap and they sound great. They are made with North American Rock maple ( same wood as DW Collectors and Performance Series) and are extremely affordable. ( I recommend those because someone brought up the PDP M5, and the CX, LX, MX sound way better IMHO)

Difference between beginner,intermediate, and Professional level drum kits
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackmail View Post
    hi again, thanks to all of you for your answers.

My questions where open to suggestions because i though you guys can give me options i didnt even know they existed, and you have, and im gratefull for that.

right now im searching for reviews for the Ludwig Element LCB622PX because its a 6 piece kit and is quite cheaper than the 5 piece Tama kit. The rough part is that i cant try this kit because no one in my region have it on display to try, i think is a Marbled birch kit. Whats the difference with this birch and the birch of the tama/mapex/sonor?

i also like the PDP M5 Maple because it is also cheaper than the others (is at the same level than the ludwig).

thanks to all and sorry for my indesicion, in my country the musical instruments are really expensive and i want to be absolutely sure that i know what im buying.
    Elements are Poplar unless something changed I'm unaware of. The hardware on the drums is decent, but I personally think you can find a better kit for the money.

So if you want Birch, I would look elsewhere.

Everyone has mentioned a lot of kits that would be great, so I won't repeat those, but another kit to look at (if you can afford new or used) is the Ludwig Epic. They are a maple/birch combo and are better kits than the Elements IMHO.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

What? Last I heard cx/mx/lx were all chinese maple shells. It's why they could keep the costs so much lower. First I heard of them using actual North American rock maple was on their short lived Platinum series.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Ludwig Epics................maybe ?
    Epics are very nice sounding drums, but as kaosotis said they are birch/maple hibrid..the finishes/quality/drum hardware, is top notch
    Last edited by myk; 04-11-2013 at 03:06 AM.

User Info Menu

PDP Concept Series could be worth a look too.

User Info Menu

When I bought my Ludwig Element 6pc. kit, it was listed as birch with poplar core shells. I checked around and from what I've read this change was made in 2012 with the preceeding Elements being made from mahogony and another type of wood I can't remember the name of. My kit may not be "top of the line", but if taken proper care of, I see nothing that tells me that it won't out live me. I was on a very limited budget, and wanted a new kit, and I feel like I got a very good deal on a great set of quality drums.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks