Thread: 60 cycle hum

User Info Menu

Default 60 cycle hum

We are running all analog equipment to a tape machine. The hum appears out of nowhere when I play my cymbals. Most of the time its un-noticeable... until I hit a cymbal and them BAM, there it is.
    We have tried to track it down thru process of elimination but to no avail.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece

User Info Menu

Default Re: 60 cycle hum

flourescent lighting ? Also sometimes if your cabling is running parallel to each other, this may occur. How are measuring the hum ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Can you provide a bit more detail on how you have things wired? A majority of the time it's a grounding problem.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I was about to say that grounding problem usually causes the humming.

User Info Menu

From what I could find on the internet, I'm thinking it's a grounding problem too. How do you check for that? It's mostly my father-in-laws equipment. I have a Carvin MX1688 board that my drums are ran through to his Yamaha 6 channel mixer. From there he runs his guitar and vocals through to add effects into the 4 track tape. Also my snare is ran straight into this mixer. I don't know how to explain how everything is hooked up. I know nothing about this but I'm trying to learn.
    He's got everything plugged in to several "six bangers" which are plugged in to different wall outlets.
    We didn't notice this hum problem until he bought a vocal mic and it started happening. I'm not blaming the mic, it's just when we started to notice it.
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece

User Info Menu

Try plugging everything into the same outlet or lifting the ground on the gear where they plug into the wall

Also,a thought, i thought i was getting a ground loop and it turned out to be a bad cable
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

If you have bulk cable on the floor try leaving it in a figure 8 pattern rather than a bunched up this can cut down the noise too

User Info Menu

Well, whatever it was is gone. We re-routed some things and now everything is crystal clear again. I'm not so sure it was a 60 cycle hum though. It wasn't apparent all the time, just when I played a cymbal or vocals were present. Anyway, it's gone and I'm happy. Thanks to all who replied!
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece