Thread: Turtle wax, laquered shells?

User Info Menu

Default Turtle wax, laquered shells?

I read that it's best to use mothers caranuba wax on drum shells. That stuff is expensive! Is it ok to use regular Turtle Wax on lacquered drums? I have a Pearl mid line bass drum and old Yamaha Recording Custom toms 8x12 and 14x14. All are black lacquer Birch shells. Thanks, Don

User Info Menu

Default Re: Turtle wax, laquered shells?

Straight from the Pdp website:

Caring for any of our lacquer finishes could be compared to caring for your car. Since our lacquers are of the same caliber as those in the auto industry, we recommend a similar process. For a thorough cleaning, we suggest you remove all lugs and hardware from the shell. Clean the drums with a solution of mild detergent (dishwashing soap works well) and water, then dry completely with a soft clean cloth. To add a great shine, procure a petroleum-based liquid wax from an auto parts store. Follow the directions on the wax using small amounts on a soft clean cloth. Applied sparingly will yield the best results
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Nice to know cause I have been a little skeptical about using any product on my beautiful lacquer finish.

User Info Menu

I just use pledge wipes every now and then wipe with a lint free rag. Nice and shiny and keeps the dust at bay longer.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've been using car wax on my shells for many years with excellent results. I typically use Meguires or Mothers. I don't see any issues using Turtle Wax. You'll like the results!!!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I'll try the Turtle Wax. As far as cleaning cymbals I use Flitz and/or Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. Works great for me. I'm NOT recommending you try this procedure but it's what I do for my cymbals. I got a $12.99 sander from Harbor Freight, cut up some old towels to fit the sander, put a small amount of Flitz on the cymbal and polished from the bell to the edge changing cloths as much as need be. I may follow up with the Mag Polish. Again I'm NOT saying you should try this or that it's the proper way to clean cymbals,as it's probably NOT the way to treat cymbals, it just works for me. Thanks again, Don

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    Thanks guys! I'll try the Turtle Wax. As far as cleaning cymbals I use Flitz and/or Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. Works great for me. I'm NOT recommending you try this procedure but it's what I do for my cymbals. I got a $12.99 sander from Harbor Freight, cut up some old towels to fit the sander, put a small amount of Flitz on the cymbal and polished from the bell to the edge changing cloths as much as need be. I may follow up with the Mag Polish. Again I'm NOT saying you should try this or that it's the proper way to clean cymbals,as it's probably NOT the way to treat cymbals, it just works for me. Thanks again, Don
    You can use any wax or polish type product on your shells provided it doesn't have any solvent in it. Some car wax contains solvents. I would only use a pure carnuba wax like 1000grand blitz. You can use pledge or liquid gold or other furniture grade polish. The Mothers and Meguires that aren't "cleaning" wax may be ok provided they contain mostly organic carnuba and not a polyamine sealent type. Just think of your shells as furniture, and you won't go wrong. I am sure that most wood finish drums have an oil or clear coat poly on them which will protect from an occasional cleaning wax product but eventually the solvent in them will oxidize that oil or sealant off and expose raw wood to solvent.

Cymbals, I use a product called Billy Buckaroo it is basically a cotten batting soaked in kerosene that will not take off laquer or writing. If your cymbals are older or vintage without a clear coat or writing you can use noxon, or any brass polish including groove juice cymbal cleaner. You can also use windex and pledge on a cymbal lighty soiled or lacking some shine. Using your sander as a buffer is fine provided your rags don't snag the cymbal and tear it apart or your hand or send the cymbal in the air like a motorized frisbee. The auto detailing biz makes polishing machines that are not spining at high rpm so they don't take off car paint, they are random orbital and move in little wiggles. They cost about 140 bucks (porter cable makes one) you can use a mild car polish and then pure car wax if you want with them and shine those plates to look brand new

User Info Menu

I have been using carnuba on my shells for years. I use it on my cymbals too, really spreads out the cleanings
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Pure (or as pure as you can get) caranuba wax.

Having been in the auto body business years ago I would have to disagree with the pdp website. They are saying they treat their lacquered finishes like they would treat a car. Sorry to report that dishwashing soap is never recommended for cleaning a car's exterior, never.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Do you say that because it'll strip all oils (and wax) from the surface, or for other reasons? I've not tried it, but always read to use a product like Dawn when you are doing a heavy duty clean, polish, wax job on the car, but definitely not during regular upkeep cleaning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Pure (or as pure as you can get) caranuba wax.

Having been in the auto body business years ago I would have to disagree with the pdp website. They are saying they treat their lacquered finishes like they would treat a car. Sorry to report that dishwashing soap is never recommended for cleaning a car's exterior, never.
    100% agreed.
    I've been detailing cars for 25 years, shops, for myself, body shops... and NEVER use dish washing soap on a painted surface. The detergant is too strong, it will dull the finish, and streak/stain, as well.

I've used aerosal window cleaner, SprayAway is the brand that comes to mind. This will clean the dust without scratching. The liquid spray wax, or quick detailer spray works great, as well.
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Do you say that because it'll strip all oils (and wax) from the surface, or for other reasons? I've not tried it, but always read to use a product like Dawn when you are doing a heavy duty clean, polish, wax job on the car, but definitely not during regular upkeep cleaning.
    I didn't read the original quote from pacific. I also disagree with using dawn on any shell unless you are cleaning a plastic wrap that is really nasty followed by waxing or polishing it. They also recommend a petroleum based car wax, again the petroleum contains inorganic solvents that strip wax along with oils and possibly a layer of plastic as well as any protective coating on the shell. The process for detailing a car is to remove exisiting wax and sealants with a safe solvent like dileminone in very small amounts added to a regular car shampoo-a capful of a product called p21s total car wash contains this organic solvent and will strip all waxes off as well as lots of dirt but it is used in a capful to around three gallons of water and 1 oz of shampoo p216 also makes a shampoo that is finish safe. Then you would polish the car with a car polish or leveler these also contain solvents and a light grit material 3m mirror glaze is one that works well and then use a high quality wax with carnuba. Drum finishes aren't painted surfaces and they don't use paint like material on them except on some funky rare sets and on those the paint used is not car finish paints. Drums that have a ntaural wood finish have either an oil sealant on raw wood or an epoxy like sealant sometimes a clear acrylic. You don't want to use soapy water on them unless you use a mild soap and little water. Saddle soap or castile soap is mild. Dawn dissolves oil and grease, it will cloud your finish on your drum or your car. Stuff like windex multi surface cleaner contains wetting agents and water so they are pretty safe to use to clean the shell if you use a small amount and not saturate the shell then spray some pledge or liquid gold on it and wipe it down. If you want to use a good car wax use one provided it is only wax and not any cleaners added. The better waxes cost big bucks because they contain a high quality carnuba. A non wrapped drum is a piece of wood furniture, so treating the wood with oils and waxes that nourish it are best. Dawn dish soap is used to clean dirty dishes and birds with petroleum oil on them. Not good for expensive automotive paint finish or drums

User Info Menu

I've always cleaned my drums with a soft clothe and warm water and just a very little bit of MILD dish soap. I use Palmolive Soft touch, never had an issue. I Remove all rims and heads. I do not remove the lugs. I wash the shell and lugs with the damp clothe, then wipe dry with a soft towel. I do the same to the rims. I also put a dab of grease on the tip of my tension rods before putting my heads back on. I've never had the need to use a wax or polish after washing. The dish soap does the trick.

Since I've had my X 7 kit (two years) I've not had to wash them. I just dust them with a soft dry clothe. That's the beauty of the kit never leaving the house.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-19-2013 at 05:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STELLA View Post
    100% agreed.
    I've been detailing cars for 25 years, shops, for myself, body shops... and NEVER use dish washing soap on a painted surface. The detergant is too strong, it will dull the finish, and streak/stain, as well.

I've used aerosal window cleaner, SprayAway is the brand that comes to mind. This will clean the dust without scratching. The liquid spray wax, or quick detailer spray works great, as well.
    Agreed!! Nothing with ammonia in it I will add as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogersdrums View Post
    I didn't read the original quote from pacific. I also disagree with using dawn on any shell unless you are cleaning a plastic wrap that is really nasty followed by waxing or polishing it. They also recommend a petroleum based car wax, again the petroleum contains inorganic solvents that strip wax along with oils and possibly a layer of plastic as well as any protective coating on the shell. The process for detailing a car is to remove exisiting wax and sealants with a safe solvent like dileminone in very small amounts added to a regular car shampoo-a capful of a product called p21s total car wash contains this organic solvent and will strip all waxes off as well as lots of dirt but it is used in a capful to around three gallons of water and 1 oz of shampoo p216 also makes a shampoo that is finish safe. Then you would polish the car with a car polish or leveler these also contain solvents and a light grit material 3m mirror glaze is one that works well and then use a high quality wax with carnuba. Drum finishes aren't painted surfaces and they don't use paint like material on them except on some funky rare sets and on those the paint used is not car finish paints. Drums that have a ntaural wood finish have either an oil sealant on raw wood or an epoxy like sealant sometimes a clear acrylic. You don't want to use soapy water on them unless you use a mild soap and little water. Saddle soap or castile soap is mild. Dawn dissolves oil and grease, it will cloud your finish on your drum or your car. Stuff like windex multi surface cleaner contains wetting agents and water so they are pretty safe to use to clean the shell if you use a small amount and not saturate the shell then spray some pledge or liquid gold on it and wipe it down. If you want to use a good car wax use one provided it is only wax and not any cleaners added. The better waxes cost big bucks because they contain a high quality carnuba. A non wrapped drum is a piece of wood furniture, so treating the wood with oils and waxes that nourish it are best. Dawn dish soap is used to clean dirty dishes and birds with petroleum oil on them. Not good for expensive automotive paint finish or drums
    Agreed.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the responses. I used a light coating of Turtle Wax, and it worked pretty good. Next time I think I'll just use Pledge.