Thread: What one should i chose

User Info Menu

Default What one should i chose

Hi I'm ordering a snare some time this week. I was wondering what one I should get. So I thought I would ask you guys.

So the two snare's I'm thinking of getting are either a Mapex MPX 14x8

Or the Orange County OCDP 13x7

I have played the OCDP but everything I here about the MPX is great. So I wanted your opinion.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What one should i chose

To me, 2 things come to mind:

1. How do you want your snare to sound? If you want to be able to tune it high, then I'go for the 13". On the other hand, if you want to be able to tune it lower for that fat sound, then I'd go with the 14".

2. Of the 2, which one makes you go, "Wow!" when you look at it?

You'll get plenty of thoughts here, but in the end, the choice will be yours.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The size would probably be the biggest factor here. An extra inch diameter and depth can make an awful lot of difference.

Personally, I'd pick the OCDP, for the 13". It depends on what your interests are though.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Only thing id add to what PB said is that ive got a 14x8" and i know that its caused me a few problems in terms of getting it low enough (that cause its not my main snare, ive still not really solved )

If your tall and/or sit high you should be fine, if your vertically challenged like me, and sit pretty low, it might be an issue. Just something to check out before you buy.
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    To me, 2 things come to mind:

1. How do you want your snare to sound? If you want to be able to tune it high, then I'go for the 13". On the other hand, if you want to be able to tune it lower for that fat sound, then I'd go with the 14".

2. Of the 2, which one makes you go, "Wow!" when you look at it?

You'll get plenty of thoughts here, but in the end, the choice will be yours.
    Well both of them make me go WOW so and i like the big fat sound and the lowed pop sound so

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gottdonn13 View Post
    Only thing id add to what PB said is that ive got a 14x8" and i know that its caused me a few problems in terms of getting it low enough (that cause its not my main snare, ive still not really solved )

If your tall and/or sit high you should be fine, if your vertically challenged like me, and sit pretty low, it might be an issue. Just something to check out before you buy.
    I don't think I'm vertically challenged at 5'11''.

User Info Menu

Get both LOL

User Info Menu

Good work narrowing it down to just two. That in itself should give you the confidence to make the right choice ( today ). Tomorrow, it will be something else. Still having problems deciding ? Don't buy either. Just let it go.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukedverlennich View Post
    I don't think I'm vertically challenged at 5'11''.
    fair does... was only making the point to help
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Get both LOL
    Cant not enough money but I would if I did

User Info Menu

Based on looks alone I like the OC. But I've never heard that snare. It is a size I like though. The MPX snares are great snares for the money. They sound good.

I tend to favor 13" snares so I'd go with the OC, but ultimately it's your money and your sound.

User Info Menu

Your ears will be the better judge than us offering our opinions in cyberspace really. And I don't own any wood snare drums that deep (although I have one of them tuned medium-low at the moment, and then that will change depending on things), so I wouldn't be able to offer an informed opinion about your two choices in drums.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ok, here's another observation. The OCDP snare has a die cast hoop. That will do a couple of things: 1) it will give you more stable tuning - meaning that the hoop will not flex at all. 2) the die cast hoop will cut some of the resonant sustain, just due to it's weight. It won't be much, but some drummers might notice it and prefer a more open sound.

I do have a 13x6 Mapex Black Panther SE Maple/Cherry snare, and I have had some people say that it's the finest sounding snare that I have. So, size wise, the OCDP snare would certainly be a nice choice.

Luke, to be honest, I'm not sure you could make a bad decision here. At the same time, I feel your pain in trying to make it. Been there, done that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Of the two you posted I like the OC. The 13" size is really nice, the die-cast hoops are sweet and the finish is very nice.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG