Thread: 13" vs 14" Snare for depth and versatility

User Info Menu

Default 13" vs 14" Snare for depth and versatility

I tend to chill here reading, learning and bantering ( just a bit), but only in flashes.
    Seems like people here can be a bit stuck in their ways, therefore foregoing some options or methods that might very well have some merit, so I try not to spend too much time here having others "tell me how wrong I am". I just offer my pearsonal experience and hope that some might be ready to consider that there are possibilities they may NEVER have considered.
    Anyway, here's what ive learned from relentless purchasing and playing a grip of 13" and 14" snares over 30 plus years.
    Ok so, from the get, I like the (some would say slight) difference in diameter that the 13s provide vs the 14s. Its very noticeable to me and my giant thighs, but not so much to others apparently. Fair enough, I will bypass those arguments, but I certainly can feel the difference myself. It gives my thick *** thighs an obvious difference and freedom that the 14s just don't. You do have to be careful though, some 13s react like...well...13s, where other 13s can be very flexible. For instance, I bought a Black Panther 13x6 that was relatively flexable in med to high tuning, but did little for someone wanting that fat and warm sound of say a 14x5.5 or 14x6"plus snares. That can be hard to get around...BUT... I just purchased a Mapex Black Panther Blaster 13x7" snare that I swear, I tuned to med low and got a true JB Luddy tone from that even the truest Zepp fans had a hard time grumbling about.
    anyway, I have no punchline here. I just want to hear some similar experiences others here might have had with the "right" 13" little monsters.
    Thanks for reading and gimme whatchya got.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: 13" vs 14" Snare for depth and versatility

I love deeper 13" snares. I tune them nice and high. My current work horse is a 13x6.5 Tama Artwood maple. I really dig it.

User Info Menu

Even though I have a bunch of 14" snares (a couple of them are a classic Roger's Dynasonic and an old battle-worn, but much favoured-for-recording Premier, for instance), my favourites for nearly a decade or so have been a 13x5.5" Tama Starclassic Maple and a 13x3.5" Pearl Steel Piccolo....the big advantage was that they allowed me to slightly compact my kit set-up a bit as I could bring in the left footboard of my double pedal a little closer (and therefore the hi-hat could be brought into it's right spot). Then later I've acquired a Tama Nickelworks 12x4" Steel soprano snare, a 13x5.5" Ludwig Epic (that I got with an Epic kit last year) and a Pearl 13x3.5" Wood Piccolo (similar hardware, badge and profile to it's Steel brother). All cracking great snares.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Homeularis, I'm sorry that you have felt that folks here have been inflexible. I guess, like everyone else, people simply have preferences.

For me, I have a 13x6 Mapex Black Panther SE Maple/Cherry snare, and I can't say enough about it. It's a great snare, and it gives me options in sound that I can't quite get from my 14" snares. When I started playing guitar, I ending up buying a number of different types through the years, because I like exploring different sounds. Eventually, I began to learn how to get a variety of sounds from one guitar, and I also began to find the sound that was uniquely my own.

For me, I have gone through the same thing with snares. I have a number of them - bought a used Acrolyte just to explore the sound of a metal snare - I have a couple of different sized Pearl Free Floating snares, with the idea that I could get different shells to explore more sounds - I have a 14x6 Tama Warlord Masai snare because I really wanted to explore the Bubinga sound, and frankly because it was a Warlord Masai - I also have a 14x5.5 Mapex Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry snare that is my absolute go to snare. I heard my drum teacher play it at a gig, and loved it's sound. When I stumbled across one used (a very rare occurrence), I felt extremely fortunate to get it.

I love variety, and eventually I'll either find exactly what I am looking for, and sell off what I don't need anymore, or I'll keep everything just for the availability of different sounds.

Oh, and the extra leg room for the 13" snare has never been an issue for me, but if it is for you, I say way to understand your own needs, and for doing what you need to do, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    Seems like people here can be a bit stuck in their ways, therefore foregoing some options or methods that might very well have some merit, so I try not to spend too much time here having others "tell me how wrong I am". I just offer my pearsonal experience and hope that some might be ready to consider that there are possibilities they may NEVER have considered.
    I'm actually surprised no one has thus far told you that you need to use a 15" snare. Usually when someone asks if they should choose from Brand A, B, or C on here, most responses are that they should definitely use Brand X, Y, and Z (because that's what they use, so it must be good!). This has been one of my major pet peeves with this site as well, and I find myself coming here less and less because of it.

I have been using 14" snares my whole life, but recently I started building a 13" x 7.5" solid bubinga drum shell that will be 7/8" thick. After it is done, I may have something more to contribute, but I can definitely see the benefit of moving the hats closer and not having to splay the thighs out so wide.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I had a 13" for awhile, wasn't really all that much smaller than the 14" I normally use is(really, how much difference can one inch make?). I also don't find a need to tune it as high, as smaller diameter snares have a naturally higher pitch, so medium is more than enough. What i'd be more concerned with is depth, hardware and shell type - because to an extent these factors come into play a bit more than the diameter does. The fundamental pitch due to the diameter of a snare can be worked around with careful tuning and heads, but you'll never be able to add more or less natural sustain or volume to that drum as you would by using certain wood, depths, and hardware choices.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    I'm actually surprised no one has thus far told you that you need to use a 15" snare. Usually when someone asks if they should choose from Brand A, B, or C on here, most responses are that they should definitely use Brand X, Y, and Z (because that's what they use, so it must be good!).
    ntn2it, I think the issue is that when someone asks for help with a choice, people can only recommend what they know, or have experience with. Everyone has their favorites, because they usually have something, and have been satified with it. Most of the time, the ultimate choice is left to the poster, as it should be.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Out of the 4 13" snare I have this is my fav

A Pearl limited birch 13 x 9 with die cast hoops and Dunnett throw. The depth makes up for the size and then some. Nice full bodied crack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ntn2it, I think the issue is that when someone asks for help with a choice, people can only recommend what they know, or have experience with. Everyone has their favorites, because they usually have something, and have been satified with it. Most of the time, the ultimate choice is left to the poster, as it should be.
    Truly. When you ask someone's opinion you are going to get it. Usually it revolves around what any given individual has experience with.

User Info Menu

Though what you say is true, it can get annoying when you ask Pearl, DW, or Tama and you get answers like gretsch, Yamaha, and mapex. Its like if I wanted to know about those, I would've asked about them. Now I have no problems with hearing other suggestions as long as my original ones were answered. But i guess what gets so annoying is that you can have 30 replies to your thread and only one of them will usually pertain to the brands you were talking about. I understand that people will usually suggest what they know, but whenever there's a discussion about brands in general, most of the forum members will share even a small amount of info on a particular brand even if they don't know a lot about it. But in threads where someone is asking for differences between a b and c, instead of just sharing that small amount of info they know some members will just go off into a completely new brand altogether.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    Though what you say is true, it can get annoying when you ask Pearl, DW, or Tama and you get answers like gretsch, Yamaha, and mapex. Its like if I wanted to know about those, I would've asked about them. Now I have no problems with hearing other suggestions as long as my original ones were answered. But i guess what gets so annoying is that you can have 30 replies to your thread and only one of them will usually pertain to the brands you were talking about. I understand that people will usually suggest what they know, but whenever there's a discussion about brands in general, most of the forum members will share even a small amount of info on a particular brand even if they don't know a lot about it. But in threads where someone is asking for differences between a b and c, instead of just sharing that small amount of info they know some members will just go off into a completely new brand altogether.
    What you say is often true, and at the same time, if someone adds that another brand might be worth consideration, if the original poster is not interested, it only takes a polite "thank you, but I am only interested in the ones I have mentioned." There have been plenty of times when someone has listed several brands, but has been open to others, so it could also be that around here, folks are simply used to offering additional choices.

Personally, I would rather have too much information, than not enough. I can always set aside the information that I don't need, and I just don't worry about it.

User Info Menu

What you say is often true, and at the same time, if someone adds that another brand might be worth consideration, if the original poster is not interested, it only takes a polite "thank you, but I am only interested in the ones I have mentioned." There have been plenty of times when someone has listed several brands, but has been open to others, so it could also be that around here, folks are simply used to offering additional choices.

Personally, I would rather have too much information, than not enough. I can always set aside the information that I don't need, and I just don't worry about it.
    Once again your right pb. Some people may find it irritating because its like asking a someone a question, and instead of them answering it they tell you a whole bunch of other things that don't pertain to your question, which would irritate anyone when you just want a simple answer.Though it is good to have extra info( which is why I said I'm fine with other suggestions as long as people answer my question) sometime you just want your question answered.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

So true. I've learned, through the years I've been on this earth, that you can never please everyone... and not everyone will please you. This is where I wish one of those old sayings would pop into my head but they usually go something like, "The problem you're having with everyone else is really with yourself." Another one is along the lines of, "Don't be so easily offended."

Just some things to think about. To those that complain a lot... it's not a perfect world and unless you stop looking for it, you'll never be happy or content. You'd be surprised how much stress you can take off of your shoulders if you just "let go".