Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microphones for singing drummers

User Info Menu

Default Microphones for singing drummers

Recommendations needed!

Mike & boom stand or headset?

Wireless or cords?

Miking drums-1 per drum? Overheads? Combination of the two?

Any advice will be appreciated.

-----------------------
    Advertisement

'The Clamp It' is a break-through solution to help singing drummers.

The Clamp It

User Info Menu

Default Re: Microphones for singing drummers

Hi trommel and welcome to DC mate.
    IMO the best live mic you can get is the Shure SM58.
    Nothing more....nothing less (unless you want to go wireless that is...).
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

You are sitting in a stationary spot for the entire show. Why spend extra on a wireless and then have to keep bateries on hand all the time? As for the vocal mic I like my Beta58.
    My Kit : Gretsch Catalina Maple Cherry Red
    12" Rack
    14" + 16" Floor Tom
    22" Kick
    6x14" Snare

Cymbals
    20" Sabian HHX Stage Ride
    14" Zildjian Quick Beat Hi Hats
    10" HHX Splash
    14" Sabian HHX X-Plosion Crash
    16" Sabian HHX X-Plosion Crash
    18" Sabian HHX X-Plosion Crash
    16" Knock off China (Lots of Trashy, yea)

LP Red Jam block
    Black Beauty Cowbell
    Rhythm Tech Hat Trick

User Info Menu

the main reason i would recommend the beta 58 over the regular sm58 is the fact that the beta has a supercardioid pattern and tends to keep the bleed from the drums into the vocal mic down a bit better. but this is coming from a guy who is incredibly particular about his sound hahaha. if all you're looking for is a decent live microphone on a budget there are alot of $100 workhorse mics out there that will do a great job. shure sm58, sennheiser e835, audix om2 ect.

User Info Menu

trommel, I tried using a Shure SM58 on a boom, but I hated having to keep my head in one fixed position as I sang. I decided to use a Shure WH20XLR dynamic headset, corded mic - the wireless was out of my range. I absolutely love this mic, and my bandmates have been very complimentary about my vocals.

As to the mic'ing of the kit, I recently went with 2 overheads, and a bass mic. Unless you're real particular about the sound of each drum being just right in your mix, this will work just fine.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    trommel, I tried using a Shure SM58 on a boom, but I hated having to keep my head in one fixed position as I sang. I decided to use a Shure WH20XLR dynamic headset, corded mic - the wireless was out of my range. I absolutely love this mic, and my bandmates have been very complimentary about my vocals.

As to the mic'ing of the kit, I recently went with 2 overheads, and a bass mic. Unless you're real particular about the sound of each drum being just right in your mix, this will work just fine.
    I'm not a singer...........well, maybe in the shower, but IMO if I was to have a mic, it'd be a wireless headset. Just seems like anything else would get in the way

User Info Menu

I sing a lot and use a an EV ND767a as a vocal mic. (On a boom).

I also have a Sure SM58 that I like. (My daughter is using it right now on her Karaoke machine.)

I don't like headsets - as there are times I don't want a mic in front of my face.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=

I don't like headsets - as there are times I don't want a mic in front of my face.[/QUOTE]

i can't have it in front of my face all the time. the band does alot of communicating during the show. the singer usually gives one of us a cue and we have to relay that to the rest of the band. it's nice not to have to broadcast that to the audience. I guess having a mic on a boom has never really bothered me. It's just a part of the kit that's always been there. I'm a big fan of that Levon Helm guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    i can't have it in front of my face all the time. the band does alot of communicating during the show. the singer usually gives one of us a cue and we have to relay that to the rest of the band. it's nice not to have to broadcast that to the audience. I guess having a mic on a boom has never really bothered me. It's just a part of the kit that's always been there. I'm a big fan of that Levon Helm guy
    Yes....exactly.

There's a lot of communication that goes on during a gig.

Sneezing too.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I use an Audio-Technica Pro8HEX headset mic. It is not wireless, but it does have enough cord to go down my back, under my shirt and exit at my waistband. It doesn't get in the way or get tangled up much, but I do have to remember to take it off at the breaks. It works great, is pretty inexpensive, and takes quite a beating. I sing lead on a few songs, and back up on most others. I've tried the swing away Shure SM58 on a stand. Sound is awesome, but I kept banging into it with my face, and it always seemed to be in the way at the wrong times.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

|Thanks for all the good advice & explanations. All have plusses & minuses, but the mike on a stand is distracting & puts cricks in my neck.

I will look at headsets tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. Overheads for these may be the best way also. All those cords & thingies-there is enough of that with a 4 or 5 piece set!

Thanks so much. keep up the good work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Good info Bob, what condenser mic and kick mic do you use.? The band I just got on with wants me to mic up and I been looking at the Audix DP5a set but $550 is a little too much I think money and is probably way more micing than I need. your set up plus maybe a snare mic should be good. They only mic up drums outdoors.

what do you hang the overheads from? Cymbal stands? do you have a pic of the set up?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Good info Bob, what condenser mic and kick mic do you use.? The band I just got on with wants me to mic up and I been looking at the Audix DP5a set but $550 is a little too much I think money and is probably way more micing than I need. your set up plus maybe a snare mic should be good. They only mic up drums outdoors.

what do you hang the overheads from? Cymbal stands? do you have a pic of the set up?
    MDK, I recently got a good deal on two Audix F15 condenser mics, and I use them for the overheads. They are best at bring out the cymbals, but they're doing a decent job of picking up the kit (minus the bass drum). Obviously, if I wanted more accuracy of sound, I would mic the toms and the snare, but this was to help everyone in the band hear the drums in their in-ears monitors (they love it). For the bass drum, I'm embarrassed to say that I am currently using a CAD KM212 that came with a CAD PRO-7 mic package that I got 5 years ago. It's getting the job done for now, but it's nothing spectacular. After tax time, I have my eye on the Shure Beta 52A mic. I talked to a local studio owner that I know, and that was his recommendation.

I put the overheads on standard mic stands. I run the mics into a little Behringer mixer that I keep to my left, and that goes into the sub mix of the main mixer. That way it's easier for me to get the sound right without having to go back and forth. I'll get a couple of pics this morning and get them up for you.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have been researching microphones for a home recording studio, and I finally settled on a Samson 8-kit. mics for all 5 drums, 2 large diaphragm condensers for overheads, and a pencil mic for the hats! I have them running through an Applied Research & Technology MX821 8-channel mixer into my main board. for vocals I have a Samson Q6 on a long arm boom stand the same as I have for the overheads, I just got everything set up, and haven't had a chance to dial it all in, but everything seems to work as I intended

User Info Menu

I have been giving this some thought myself but want a foot switch to turn the mic on and off. Most mics I looked at doesn't have an on and off switch built in from what I've found, not alone a foot switch. I did find a small box on the net with the XLR's in and out with a foot button switch for an additional 50 bucks I feel would be a must.

User Info Menu

I have been a singing drummer for over twenty years. In one band, I was the only vocalist. So a headset has been a necessity. I couldn't imagine trying to keep my face in front of a mic while I play. Also, I have hit hanging mics with my sticks once or twice. Sounds lovely to the audience. THUNK!!
    I currently use the same Shure model that Pastor Bob posted a picture of. Gets a nice live sound with minimal kit bleed, if any.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I have 2 mic cables with built-in off & on switches and bought them in 1992...not sure of the brand name on them ---But I have found that Guitar Center sells a similar mic cable as well as Amazon and maybe a few other venues ( looks the same as the ones I have ) - Do a google search for Mic cable with switch - see the results offered.

Ive used both cables throughout my playing career - both on the road as well as in the studio and on the many sit-down gigs Ive done - I wouldnt be without one. The switch is located right behind the XLR plug that goes into the mic - its a circular round ring that is easy to turn and had "Detents" so you know when its switched and even has Off & On printed on the barrel.

I use a mic stand with a boom ( I added a 10 pound bar-bell weight to my mic stand base to prevent "tipping over" ) and an 18" chrome goose-neck and an "On-Stage MY100" mic holder because it really molds itself to the mic and will not allow it to "slip out" and hit the floor. I sit the mic stand to my left and slightly behind me and position the goose-neck to go higher than and over my left shoulder to place the mic close to my mouth.

PS: I hate headset mics because you cannot "work" the mic for dynamics by moving your mouth close to and away from the mic.

As for Mics - I use a Heil PR-22 - it has excellent rear rejection and side rejection (much better than any mic under $300 bucks that Ive ever tried and Ive tried a bunch over the years ) and has a boost in the mids which brings out the vocals really well...and using the mic cable with the on & off switch really helps on keeping external noises out of the vocal mix when Im not singing.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 01-19-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Left out some information.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trommel View Post
    Recommendations needed!

Mike & boom stand or headset?
    Never saw this thread but when Drum Bum added this product a couple of years ago, I thought it was cooler than sliced bread.

Drummer Mic Stand Holder - Clamp It

User Info Menu

I like my EV PL84 for vocal mics.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Never saw this thread but when Drum Bum added this product a couple of years ago, I thought it was cooler than sliced bread.

Drummer Mic Stand Holder - Clamp It
    Man - I like that really well - - sure would keep me from lugging around that 10 pound weight I put on my mic stand to keep it from tipping over.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Microphones for singing drummers

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Man - I like that really well - - sure would keep me from lugging around that 10 pound weight I put on my mic stand to keep it from tipping over.
    Thanks for posting this.
    I LIKE THAT IDEA VERY MUCH,,,I HAVE AN ADAPTION I MADE FOR MY
    ROC & SOC THRONE BACKBRACE ;CLAMPS WHERE BACKREST GOES TO SEAT (SORRY NO PICS AVAILABLE YET) IF & WHEN SOMETHING CRASHES
    WIF MY HEADSET MICS,,,AS A RESERVE I CARRY MY TRUSTY SHURE SM57
    IVE HAD THAT BABY OVER 40 YEARS,,,,YES OVER DA YEARS IVE GONE THE GAMBIT OF EVERTHING FROM CYMBAL STAND BASES WIF BOOM ARMS TO RECORDING STUDIO BOOMS (SEE EAGLES DON HENLEY PLAYING/SINGING AS A REFERENCE),,,I BRING DON UP BECAUSE AS OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED "HEAD/BODY POSITIONING" & HE ENDED UP CARRYING A CHIROPRACTOR DURING "LONG RUN TOUR" (1980) SEVERE BACK PROBLEMS FOR HIM & I HAD THE SAME ISSUE FOR MANY YEARS,,,

"GRAMPS" EXPERIENCE WITH HEADSETS:

IN 1986 I HOOKED UP WIF A "NEW" (AT THAT TIME) COMPANY CALLED COUNTRYMAN(I BELIEVE KANSAS CITY) THEIR "PROTOTYPE" OF A HEADSET I FELL IN LOVE ...MIC SIZE LESS THAN MY SMALL FINGERNAIL (WHOA IT WAS SENSITIVE) RAN THRU A WIRED "BEHIND EAR" CARRIAGE
    THINNER THAN A COAT HANGER...LOW PROFILE(BARELY VISIBLE & COMFORTABLE,,,)I USED A PHANTOM POWER UNIT (2 9VOLT BATTERIES) & WIF ON/OFF SWITCH ,A 50 FT MIC CORDWIF ON/OFF SWITCH AS WELL...COMFORTABLE ,ABLE TO COMMUNICATE ONSTAGE NICELY,,,OVER TIME,,,MIC ADJUSTMENT TOOK ITS TOLL,,,MY BABY WENT "SNAP",,,SO I WENT TO AUDIO/TECHNIA ,,,LOW QUALITY(YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR $50 ON SALE),,,STILL CONNECTED UNIT/JUST DISCONNECT PWR UNIT,MIC HANGS AROUND NECK ON BREAKS...NOW IM CURRENTLY USIN A "SAMPSON CONCERT 88 WIRELESS HEADSET,,,," BELT PWR UNIT HOLDS 2 AA BATTERIES (ALWAYS FRESH B4 SHOW ) ANYTHING USED GOES IN ZIPLOC BAG AS PRACTICE/SPARE...LOVE DA FREEDOM SOUNDS GOOD FOR PRICE (ENTIRE PKG LESS THAN $200) NOT REAL EXCITED ABOUT SIZE OF MIC IN FACE (ABIT SMALLER THAM QUARTER MY POV)...PERFORMING MORE ALLOWS ME TO SUPPORT MY "GAS" DRUMMING JONES,,,,SO...I SOON HOPE TO RETURN HOME TO MY COUNTRYMAN PHAMILY,,,,ALWAYS HAVE A "PLAN B" IF YER DEALING WIF LECTRONICS,,,,,,ALWAYS!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I use a Sennheiser e835 with a boom stand. Round base. Sounds great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I sing a lot and use a an EV ND767a as a vocal mic. (On a boom).

I also have a Sure SM58 that I like. (My daughter is using it right now on her Karaoke machine.)

I don't like headsets - as there are times I don't want a mic in front of my face.
    +100. Too much dialogue going on.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trestle View Post
    You are sitting in a stationary spot for the entire show. Why spend extra on a wireless and then have to keep bateries on hand all the time?
    My headset's batteries lasted for about 8 hours, I put a fresh one in each show and it worked fine.

User Info Menu

I also started with the venerable SM58, I still own 5 of them because they are just so darn good for the money, and virtually indestructable. However I got annoyed with the mic being in my face on songs I wasn't singing on. so I'd swing it out of the way. Then I'd have to remember to swing it back, "Do I sing on this song?" Plus, I do a fair amount of rocking about when I play so being on-mic wasnt always easy. and sometimes a movement or reaction would cause me to bump into the mic, not in a painful way, but an annoying way. So I got a headset. Shure Beta 54. Condenser (needs 48v Phantom power) but rocks, very sensitive. The double earset design is very stable and positionable. I like it better than a 58 on a boom. (My $.02)

As far as drum mics go I use Mays mics.
    Heres a link to my setup:
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...3.html?t=26903

The only change I have made since then is switching to a Shure Beta 98AMP for the snare instead of the 57. I like this much better because it is more compact (less likely to hit it) and it's point source design lets me really focus the area of the head I want to mic to alter the tone / character of the snare sound going to the PA. Bonus, the Beta 98 has a clamp that attaches directly to the rim. it is very heavy duty, positionable, and eliminates another mic stand on the kit setup which just makes for a cleaner look.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!