Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A bad case of G.A.S.

User Info Menu

Default A bad case of G.A.S.

Second time's a charm!

I fell in love with the Ludwig Black Beauty back in the early '80s but I couldn't afford one during those days. In 2009, I finally bought my first which is a 5"x14" SS.

It had taken me a few more years to realize that my ears wanted something with a little more depth so a few weeks ago I bought my second, which is the 6.5"x14" SS:

User Info Menu

Default Re: A bad case of G.A.S.

Heck yeah, I love that snare. congrats
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

It didn't take me long to find out that I should of, could of, would of been better off by purchasing the 6.5"x14" first.

I not making that mistake again when it comes down to my next kit so I ordered a Gretsch USA Custom 4pc kit in Ebony laq. finish. I know how the saying goes here on, DC "pics or it didn't happen" so the best I can do is this receipt. I got a long, long road ahead of me....

The Gretsch USA Kit:

Here's the start:

Last edited by late8; 03-20-2013 at 01:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Ooo USA Customs! Looking forward to seeing those.

Nice snare too man
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Really nice snare, it's a beauty and I'm sure the kit is too. You know anything Ludwig to me is special. Good Luck with the new kit. $CHA-CHING$ Can't wait for the pics

User Info Menu

Yikes those Gretsch are expensive but so worth it..............

I priced my kit at close to $9K MSRP............I figured at the usual discounting that it would cost me about $5,500 to get the same kit today.
    Good thing I ordered those babies long ago...............and of course, they sound better with age.

Congrats on that deep snare.......it is beautiful...........those Ludwig Black Beauty snares are certainly a respected standard............a high standard I might add.

What is that snare stand ?
    Does it hold anything from 12" to 15" ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Congrats Late 8. Most of us have worked hard all our lives and some of us are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy some of the finer things in life. You never know when this ride is going to end and I say enjoy the ride.

I hope you will give us a review of your thoughts on the new kit when you get a chance. I loved reading Ricardo's thread about pulling out the old USA Customs he had for years stored in his attic. And how well they are performing still after all these years. Mike Johnston has a great video clip on getting his new usa customs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASi7VLQv5g4

I notice you have one other very good talent, you have a great eye. Love your photography.

ENJOY!!!
    Joe

User Info Menu

Beautiful BB Late.................The standard, and for good reason

I bet you can't wait for the Gretsch kit, but man it hurts to look at that receipt.................and it isn't even my money

User Info Menu

Congrats Rich! Once you get into playing music, your realize there are certain notes that just appeal to your ears. Guitarists find out about it, and then start chasing that "perfect" tone. It's more subtle with drummers, but it still happens for us. Glad you're able to get what you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have the same snare in the hammered tube lug version. Not a huge Ludwig fan, but love the sound of that snare. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Way to go Rich!!! Congrats on the new kit.

Love the Black Beauty also.

What a great combination; the Black Beauty with the U.S.A. Customs, fantastic!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    Heck yeah, I love that snare. congrats
    Thanks spatzST. been looking and eyeing this snare for a long time!!

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Ooo USA Customs! Looking forward to seeing those.

Nice snare too man
    Thanks stix!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Really nice snare, it's a beauty and I'm sure the kit is too. You know anything Ludwig to me is special. Good Luck with the new kit. $CHA-CHING$ Can't wait for the pics
    $CHA-CHING$ is and understatement!! lol!! Thanks for the words of encouragment!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yikes those Gretsch are expensive but so worth it..............

I priced my kit at close to $9K MSRP............I figured at the usual discounting that it would cost me about $5,500 to get the same kit today.
    Good thing I ordered those babies long ago...............and of course, they sound better with age.

Congrats on that deep snare.......it is beautiful...........those Ludwig Black Beauty snares are certainly a respected standard............a high standard I might add.

What is that snare stand ?
    Does it hold anything from 12" to 15" ?
    The stand is a DW900 series snare stand. Max spread I believe is 14". And yes, the USA Customs are pricey. I passed on the poly-coated finish as it would of ran another $400 per shell

Quote Originally Posted by gatlin5 View Post
    Congrats Late 8. Most of us have worked hard all our lives and some of us are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy some of the finer things in life. You never know when this ride is going to end and I say enjoy the ride.

I hope you will give us a review of your thoughts on the new kit when you get a chance. I loved reading Ricardo's thread about pulling out the old USA Customs he had for years stored in his attic. And how well they are performing still after all these years. Mike Johnston has a great video clip on getting his new usa customs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASi7VLQv5g4

I notice you have one other very good talent, you have a great eye. Love your photography.

ENJOY!!!
    Thanks gatlin and thanks for the link. When Mike switched from his DW endorsement to Gretsch, I had to do a double take. Now I know what he meant about the 'Gretsch sound"
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Beautiful BB Late.................The standard, and for good reason

I bet you can't wait for the Gretsch kit, but man it hurts to look at that receipt.................and it isn't even my money
    Man...I've got a long way to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Congrats Rich! Once you get into playing music, your realize there are certain notes that just appeal to your ears. Guitarists find out about it, and then start chasing that "perfect" tone. It's more subtle with drummers, but it still happens for us. Glad you're able to get what you want.
    Thanks PB!! I've been chasing that sound for sometime. I think I found it!!

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    WOW! Awesome.
    Thanks dude!!

User Info Menu

Now I'm definitely coming over to your place.

That's awesome, Rich!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Congrats bro that is a gorgeous snare, what is the difference between the black beauty and the supraphonic? How much for the snare if you dont mind saying?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nice snare Rich now wait till Rick sees it. Another kit coming man you gonna have to build an extra garage just for all your kits. Talk about having the G.A.S lol

User Info Menu

I wish my GAS pains were drums..ta ta boom! nice Rich...is this gonna be the gigging set?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MartyM;525775]I wish my GAS pains were drums..ta ta boom![QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I had nachos for dinner last night
    - Zack

User Info Menu

wow your music store ordered that kit with a $50 deposit?? ballsy of them
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I guess my G.A.S. can't compare with yours: I bought an $18 generic clamp today!
    I think you'll have more fun with your purchase than I will with mine...way more fun!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Nice score Rich! Can't wait to see pics of the full kit set up. Oh, and maybe a video of you playing them?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

heck yeah!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Now I'm definitely coming over to your place.
    That's awesome, Rich!
    Thanks! You're welcome to drop on by anytime Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Congrats bro that is a gorgeous snare, what is the difference between the black beauty and the supraphonic? How much for the snare if you dont mind saying?
    Thanks machine! Snare was $590.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Nice snare Rich now wait till Rick sees it. Another kit coming man you gonna have to build an extra garage just for all your kits. Talk about having the G.A.S lol
    Hi Gilles, gonna boil it down to three kits lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    I wish my GAS pains were drums..ta ta boom! nice Rich...is this gonna be the gigging set?
    Hi marty!! The gigging kit will prolly be the '57 Gretsch.

FYI--PM me about your trip tp Napa. Just got a quote page paste when you replied last time!

[QUOTE=xweasel;525777][QUOTE=MartyM;525775]I wish my GAS pains were drums..ta ta boom!
    Hey I'm glad for you it's just real GAS not the gear kind. The gear kind get to be too costly. I rather fart for free!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    wow your music store ordered that kit with a $50 deposit?? ballsy of them
    Nah, the $50 bucks was put down as a gesture of good faith. The order is actually being placed today. I dropped another $600 yesterday after I sold the ECX double bass kit to a 17 year old drummer from Lake Tahoe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I guess my G.A.S. can't compare with yours: I bought an $18 generic clamp today
    !
    I think you'll have more fun with your purchase than I will with mine...way more fun!
    Sling, if I had your kit, I wouldn't need to go out and get the Gretsch. This is all about making up for compromising for many settling for something just to get me by. Hindsight is 20/20. I should of saved and saved and saved for what I always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Nice score Rich! Can't wait to see pics of the full kit set up. Oh, and maybe a video of you playing them?
    Michael, I have no video camera. That's on my video/audio G.A.S. list which hasn't had much attention

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    heck yeah!
    uh huh!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Gretsch USA club! You won't be dissappointed. My how money value has changed! 5 pieces cost me a little over $1500 in 1983. I already had my own snare (supraphonic). Mine are just in natural maple. I have since added a 8x14 USA snare to the collection. It cost $400 used. It's a walnut brown colour.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Nachos with Mr. Beans?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post