Thread: playing along with music...

User Info Menu

Default playing along with music...

..with my practice pad. Good way to improve my skillsss?

User Info Menu

Yes! The music brings it alive!
    As long as you also make time for concentrated practice on the pad now and then without music.

User Info Menu

Drummer said evrything i was gonna say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yes! The music brings it alive!
    As long as you also make time for concentrated practice on the pad now and then without music.
    just out of curiosity, whats the reason to play with and without music?

User Info Menu

I love listening to the beat of certain songs, and knowing that I could actually play it, even now, just because the drum beat is pretty basic. Some songs just lend themselves to simple drum beats. Why should I wait until I'm a more accomplished drummer before I try drumming to those songs when it would inspire me so much if I could actually play something right now?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    just out of curiosity, whats the reason to play with and without music?
    Play with music=fun
    Play without music=rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Play with music=fun
    Play without music=rudiments

Playing rudiment on a kit to a song= Both.

User Info Menu

I was just gonna say.. you could play rudiments on a kit with music, but i never really got how that would work, for me anyways cuz I keep track of my tempo for each rudiment I do, so id have to find a song with the exact tempo that im looking for and change the song as i got better, to much hassle, thats why i dont do that lol

User Info Menu

Yup, I do it all of the time. Although, experiment, don't just copy the drummer, change the beat slightly, add in a random fill, triplet or something, spice it up a bit.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

good on yea

User Info Menu

i find playing with music, with the drummer of the band playing, just plain annoying. anything else... i enjoy because you can experiment and it's kinda like jamming really. but nt with live musicians.
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

Cool playing along with music...

Have you tried the "Turn it Up...Lay it Down" CD series? There are now 5 discs, one of which focuses on double-bass metal (#5)... most all of them have a bass and click track with which you can practice (designed for a set, of course, but very useful for developing hand-drumming riffs, too)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck