Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice, Accepted to Berklee and Musicians Institute...Where do I go!?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice, Accepted to Berklee and Musicians Institute...Where do I go!?

" while Berklee will make me an all around better musician, learning theory..music history..ect. "

You just got your answer man...Why would you not want that? You will get theory til youre blue in the face, which isn't a bad thing. You'll also get some of the best jazz instructors out there. Half the books MI is using, were probably written by Berklee Alum.

Weigh out the cost, if that's a deal breaker....Boston will kill a bank account (look on CL for appartment costs) And forget about getting a dorm, unless they've added , you wont get 1.

Live alone on "gig $?" Maybe in LA, but unless your last name is Tyler or Perry, forget that in Boston. I hate to discourage a bro, but I hate even more to see a bro go in blind. I'd be shocked to see you make a cpl. hundred a week playing, and thats pushing it.

I truly hope you the best either way you go.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice, Accepted to Berklee and Musicians Institute...Where do I go!?

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    " while Berklee will make me an all around better musician, learning theory..music history..ect. "

You just got your answer man...Why would you not want that? You will get theory til youre blue in the face, which isn't a bad thing. You'll also get some of the best jazz instructors out there. Half the books MI is using, were probably written by Berklee Alum.

Weigh out the cost, if that's a deal breaker....Boston will kill a bank account (look on CL for appartment costs) And forget about getting a dorm, unless they've added , you wont get 1.

Live alone on "gig $?" Maybe in LA, but unless your last name is Tyler or Perry, forget that in Boston. I hate to discourage a bro, but I hate even more to see a bro go in blind. I'd be shocked to see you make a cpl. hundred a week playing, and thats pushing it.

I truly hope you the best either way you go.

Really? I would say the opposite about gigs. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen and listened to around boston, it's a lot easier to get gigs in boston than L.A. You just have to look around in somerville and other close surrounding areas.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Really? I would say the opposite about gigs. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen and listened to around boston, it's a lot easier to get gigs in boston than L.A. You just have to look around in somerville and other close surrounding areas.
    If its easier to get gigs in Boston than LA than you must not have to do anything at all to get one in Boston. Most of the gigs I've got were offered to me in LA. Most of the high profile gigs I was offered like the one I could've done for a former american idol winner were offered to me in LA.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

The thing with Boston is there are millions of people that play and not many good size clubs left (3 major clubs) and the smaller clubs aren't going to pay when everyone will play for free.

All the money making gigs are run by promotion co.'s who use the same circle of players that will be in a few different bands at the same time. Getting into that circle of players is not going to happen.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest going to neither. Save your money and teach yourself. There are tons of instructional DVD's available that will allow you to "master" your instrument.

User Info Menu

So the notion I am getting is that Berklee will provide a higher level of education while MI's location will allow for better networking and gig oppurtunities. Now I just have to figure out which I want more.

Everyone input is greatly apreciatiated thank you all!

And responding to NPYYZ - I have gone through a few DVD's and none have even come close to matching the skills I learn from one hour with my private instructor, individual attention and communication is greatly beneficial for me. If you can master your instrument through use of DVD's....more power to you. I am not so lucky!

User Info Menu

Plus if I were to go to neither I would be A.) stuck in CT practicing all day and attending my mediocre community college or B.) Moving to a place with a half decent music scene where I would be extremely poor and hardly be able to practice on anything but a drum pad, on a park bench, which would also double as my bed.
    If I am attending school I will be financially aided by the parents, I am going to school for music!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.Piccoli View Post
    Plus if I were to go to neither I would be A.) stuck in CT practicing all day and attending my mediocre community college or B.) Moving to a place with a half decent music scene where I would be extremely poor and hardly be able to practice on anything but a drum pad, on a park bench, which would also double as my bed.
    If I am attending school I will be financially aided by the parents, I am going to school for music!
    so where you goin?
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I am going to attend Berklee for the twelve week full credit Summer semester, and then the fall semester at MI. I feel the only way to know which is best for me is to try both!

Wish me luck!