Thread: drum platform

User Info Menu

Default drum platform

any of you guys build yourself a small platform for your drums to control the thump?

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum platform

Hi hemiboy, check this link out man. It's a great way to make a riser on the cheap.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ighlight=riser
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Hi hemiboy, check this link out man. It's a great way to make a riser on the cheap.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ighlight=riser
    I would love to do that but the buckets are too tall (16") for my basement which is only 7' tall. wish they made strong buckets like that about 5" shorter
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I would love to do that but the buckets are too tall (16") for my basement which is only 7' tall. wish they made strong buckets like that about 5" shorter
    Can't you cut them down?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: drum platform

Hello Hemiboy, i built a 6 x 8 deck out of 6"x8" pine i built it like u would build a wall with 6x8 studs every 16 inches i lined the floor i put on with cardboard and i put a rug over the cardboard and my deck on the rug i filled the spaces in between the studs with newspaper, foam, shipping peanuts, empty egg cartons,walmart bags just about anything that can absorb,deaden sound then i coverd the top with cheap ol 3 dollar slats of wood that u would use to make a dog eared type fence litteraly $3 pieces and screwed them down i then coverd the wood with more cardboard and then 2 rugs over that and wallah! a nice cheap deck for under 60 bucks dude i used liqour bottle cardboard that i got for free at the local liqour store its a better grade cardboard and i used the same yellowtail boxes so it looks cool all matching one color i put my deck in the attic i insulated the walls with $20.00 rolls of insulation (it goes on sale in spring)i then covered the insulation with cardboard and i coverd the cardboard with the wrap used to ship plywood kinda like tyvek house wrap it was free at home depot 2 rolls covered enough around the set that it toned it down to where the neighboors can hear it outside but not inside their house well atleast not over their tv set a little loud i put shipping peanut inside all my drums to kill the resonation and then i covered my set with tshirts it doesnt sound perfect but i can play with no complaints now the only thing u can hear is my crazy double pedal i hope it helps man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Can't you cut them down?
    I think if you did that it would compromise the strength of the buckets.
    Surely someone out there in the retail world sells smaller buckets?
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

I am sure you could find shorter buckets that are just as strong. If anything, the shorter the bucket the stronger it should be, as long as it is made somewhat the same!

User Info Menu

Actually chlorine pool pucks come in a nice strong short bucket. So does Drywall compound. Just walk through a home depot or Costco, and see what you can find in the way of a product that comes in strong short buckets. Some soaps do as well.

User Info Menu

you know those red white and blue rubber balls? Put a nice long counter sunk bolt throught them into your platform.

User Info Menu

I'm the guy that made that riser and wrote the instructions for it. One gallon pails would be shorter and might suit your needs. Or maybe you could just build the platform and put it on milk crates? They would work just as well. You can find those at any WalMart or K-Mart. Just a thought. Actually, you could even build a stationary one by just using 2x4's as joists sitting right on the floor and then screwing plywood down to those. If you use 1/2" plywood, I would space the 2x4's every 12" apart. If you use 5/8" or 3/4" plywood then you could go out to 16" or 24" spacings. that way the total height would only be about 4" high. Good luck!
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Nice! The Home Depot should sell it!

User Info Menu

I have looked for smaller buckets, and found a few but they are either too weak or do not have screw on lids. I like being able to screw the home depot buckets on and off for easy transportation.

I also thought of milk crates but would have to permanently mount them I think. Drywall buckets have the type of lid where after a few times opening and closing they are pretty useless, at least the ones I have seen.

I would like to have a 7'x7' by about 5" to 10" high max, and lightweight that folds in half and I can throw in the back of my truck easy enough.

I have also looked into 6" PVC piping but that gets pricey
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO