Thread: 4 measure Latin Rock solo

User Info Menu

Default 4 measure Latin Rock solo

How do i keep a latin rock solo from just becoming straight rock? I can't seem to figure it out.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 4 measure Latin Rock solo

Play it in spanish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrumgrl View Post
    How do i keep a latin rock solo from just becoming straight rock? I can't seem to figure it out.
    Try to keep the Latin flavor in the beat. You can do that by playing the bass drum pattern in bar one over and over again.

Also, use Latin flavored fills... wide flams, etc.

Hope this helps just a bit. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Try to keep the Latin flavor in the beat. You can do that by playing the bass drum pattern in bar one over and over again.

Also, use Latin flavored fills... wide flams, etc.

Hope this helps just a bit. Good luck!
    That was really helpful. thank you!

User Info Menu

Try incorporating some of the tonality inherent in Latin music, like cowbells or high pitched rim shots on the toms ala a timbale player. Build your solo around classic Latin rhythms like the clave.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.

User Info Menu

If you understand basic Latin claves, then it's a little easier, when you pick up ideas from other drummers who do solos over claves. But if you've never been exposed to that stuff before, then it's another thing.

If you go on Youtube, check out a great Aussie drum instructor called Jack Bennett (unfortunately the vid's have commercial links, so I won't post them here), but his videos will definitely show you a good approach to Latin drumming. Look at his vid called "Introduction To Latin American Drumming", then the vids on 'son' clave and 'rumba' claves before you move onto the other videos on Latin drumming, he definitely explains it in a no-nonsense way.

And this guy, Chuck Silverman....man, I used (and still do) read his old columns on Latin drumming that he used to contribute to Modern Drummer. Check his videos out, this guy had often travelled to South America and studied with a number of great Latin masters, so you'd know he knows his stuff.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8