Thread: buying a mic interface

User Info Menu

Default buying a mic interface

Well does anyone want to point me in the direction of one lol? I want one that will come with editing software, and one that won't cost over $200. Though I would really appreciate if you could suggest a good one for cheaper than that. I've heard of certain brands like alesis and a couple others that sound decent, but I'm hoping that you guys can give any other suggestions so that I make a good decision.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Default Re: buying a mic interface

With that budget it is going to be really hard.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I like this one for a small, portable unit. PreSonus Firebox.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

The only one I have experience with is the TASCAM US-1800. It comes with Cubase 5 LE, but it's $300 + tax at most places.

It works really well however, once you've figured it out.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post

I like this one for a small, portable unit. PreSonus Firebox.
    thanks drumsetsnide, i'll check it out. Im looking for something to just out with nothing fancy in the slightest. I know the guy at guitar center directed me to a couple that are $150, he said they'd be good for beginners. when i think of the names i'll show em to you guys to see what you think.

User Info Menu

I also use the TASCAM 1800. I like it a lot, but the software that it comes bundled with is useless if you plan on using all the inputs like I do. I ended up downloading and using Reaper, which works great for $50.

User Info Menu

I found a couple of good ones on another website. They don't come with software, but I'm sorta changing my mind on the software idea. Mainly because I can easily find my own software. I will keep you guys updated on my search.

User Info Menu

You can use audacity for software, it is free
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    The only one I have experience with is the TASCAM US-1800. It comes with Cubase 5 LE, but it's $300 + tax at most places.

It works really well however, once you've figured it out.
    I picked mine up for 150 on sale!
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    You can use audacity for software, it is free
    I use audacity now for other stuff. I'll try it with an interface

User Info Menu

I use an M-Box. I think it comes with a cut down version of Pro Tools but I already use both Pro Tools 10 and REAPER.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    I also use the TASCAM 1800. I like it a lot, but the software that it comes bundled with is useless if you plan on using all the inputs like I do. I ended up downloading and using Reaper, which works great for $50.
    this combo right here gets you the most if you're working on a budget. I've had good luck with both reaper and the 1800.

User Info Menu

What are you planning on using it for?

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that USB will only allow for stereo input, even on the top of the line interfaces, so 2 channels max at any given time. Firewire will allow multiple channels. If you're content to use USB, I suggest a USB mixer. You can record more instruments simultaneously (like a close mic'd drum set) and output to a stereo pair.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    Keep in mind that USB will only allow for stereo input, even on the top of the line interfaces, so 2 channels max at any given time. Firewire will allow multiple channels. If you're content to use USB, I suggest a USB mixer. You can record more instruments simultaneously (like a close mic'd drum set) and output to a stereo pair.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    What are you planning on using it for?
    Recording drum covers and things of that nature.

User Info Menu

Alright I'm going to go the route of a USB mixer. I saw a couple of behringers that were $150 some a little more, but come the middle of next month I'm going to be able to widen my budget.

User Info Menu

Problem with your price range is that you won't get enough mic inputs. I am assuming you want to mic your kit? Most anything $200 and under is probably going to be 4 mics or less. I think you would want to be looking in the direction of a Behringer. Though they are known to not last... so yeah. I'd look up reviews. If you want to spend a little bit of money, the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 was recommended to me by several people and from what I understand, they are one of the leaders in firewire interfaces. That unit costs ~$500 with 8 mic inputs

I SUGGEST YOU DONT GET AN INTERFACE IF YOU ARE JUST DOING COVERS! Save your money (and buy a better interface/mic or...), just buy something like a Zoom Q3HD... It will do what you want, and it sounds amazing compared to my mics/interface raw input.

For comparison.... same drum kit, same heads etc...
    Zoom Q3SD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCeKx8gwqI
    Mics/Interface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTfpQOMeYg
    Last edited by SpatzST; 03-29-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    Problem with your price range is that you won't get enough mic inputs. I am assuming you want to mic your kit? Most anything $200 and under is probably going to be 4 mics or less. I think you would want to be looking in the direction of a Behringer. Though they are known to not last... so yeah. I'd look up reviews. If you want to spend a little bit of money, the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 was recommended to me by several people and from what I understand, they are one of the leaders in firewire interfaces. That unit costs ~$500 with 8 mic inputs

I SUGGEST YOU DONT GET AN INTERFACE IF YOU ARE JUST DOING COVERS! Save your money (and buy a better interface/mic or...), just buy something like a Zoom Q3HD... It will do what you want, and it sounds amazing compared to my mics/interface raw input.

For comparison.... same drum kit, same heads etc...
    Zoom Q3SD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCeKx8gwqI
    Mics/Interface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTfpQOMeYg
    Thanks for the input. I'm going the way of USB mixer because I plan to do other things besides covers later on. I saw a few others that were fairly good quality with good reviews that ran just under $200 on this one website. They are on sale and will probably come out to a little over $200 with shipping and tax but its worth it if I can save a couple hundred.as far as mics go, I got that handled. I haven't came to a clear cut decision quite yet, but I will be making one soon.

User Info Menu

Personally i'd go with the field recorder for a lower budget, sync audio with video taken from another device you might already have, or could borrow from a friend. All the work involved in getting a good sound is already done for you, as long as you don't mind not being able to change settings of each individual part of the kit. With mics/interface you are given the option to fine tune each part of the drums to your liking depending on how much gear is being used, but it does end up costing a bit more. A field recorder or cam does a passable job of capturing everything, but for a lot less money. Basically it comes down to how much you're actually going to be spending here.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Personally i'd go with the field recorder for a lower budget, sync audio with video taken from another device you might already have, or could borrow from a friend. All the work involved in getting a good sound is already done for you, as long as you don't mind not being able to change settings of each individual part of the kit. With mics/interface you are given the option to fine tune each part of the drums to your liking depending on how much gear is being used, but it does end up costing a bit more. A field recorder or cam does a passable job of capturing everything, but for a lot less money. Basically it comes down to how much you're actually going to be spending here.
    I've done the recorder thing before. It works good, but after a while I decided I want better quality.

User Info Menu

I actually got an interface that I use to record stuff, but also a recorder. I sort of regret picking up both, but it was nice for comparison. The Q3 is supposed to be a pretty good choice, but since I only wanted audio I went with the H4n. I'd say the thing I like about it most is the condenser mics in the device, which are already set up in an x/y configuration. I prefer to use my mics though, even though they aren't the best out there it's nice to boost or drop frequencies on the kick or snare as needed to get to the sweet spot.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

focusrite scarlett 2i2

abelton lite comes free with most interfaces you can update when you can afford it
    Last edited by itchie; 03-30-2013 at 04:00 AM.