Thread: dave mackintosh

User Info Menu

Default dave mackintosh

what do you think. i know he's really skilled because of how fast he can play, but isn't most of his stuff exactly the same in each song? incase anyone doesn't know who he is. he's the drummer for dragonforce. can't upload audio files...:(

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd agree with that assessment. He does have some speed, although, not so much that I think he stands out for it. But yeah, it's all pretty straight forward, and doesn't vary much.

Then again, maybe it's just the stuff I've heard. For example "Through the Fire and Flames" - I reckon most metal drummers could play it without too much hastle, hell I reckon allot of punk drummers could play it.

I have to admit though that I am not a real Dragonforce fan - they're talented guys, no dout, but I find the songs very 80's, which was fine for the 80's, but people need to let things go sometimes, or at least update it. Nowadays I prefer a different sound personally. It all makes me think of Sega Megadrive (Genesis for the Americans) and badly drawn Anime, and I suppose some good anime too.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I have to admit though that I am not a real Dragonforce fan.
    i have to say i enjoy listening to them just for the drummer's speed. nt too enthused by the rest of the band

User Info Menu

Never liked Dragonforce. When i found out about sadly on the WoW forums I was constantly told that they sucked and sounded horrible live, and no-doubt they do sound live. Their guitarists have apparently told people that they don't practice and don't tune their instruments and they can barely tell if their engineers haven't tuned their instruments. In most of their songs the drumming almost sounds the same i.e: double bass for the entire song with a strong hi-hat, hh w/ snare for the entire song.

User Info Menu

I think there entertaining to listen to. I wouldnt say there good though....

There is a difference between the two things i have said :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by styx View Post
    i have to say i enjoy listening to them just for the drummer's speed. nt too enthused by the rest of the band
    Then listen to Slayer, because that's a lot more listenable than someone castrating a chicken (which is what Dragonforce sounds like).
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Man, I've never heard the band, and now I'm not sure I want to if they sound like "someone castrating a chicken!" (BTW, I've never heard a chicken being castrated, but I'm very sure it wouldn't be a pleasant sound)
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Dont bother PB. Anytime my mate puts them on i leave the room.

User Info Menu

my drum teacher would always gawk over him because of his insane speed, and he had been playing for 30+ years
    so he cant be that bad :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    my drum teacher would always gawk over him because of his insane speed, and he had been playing for 30+ years
    so he cant be that bad :P
    Then your drum teacher needs to broaden his horizons

User Info Menu

he knows how to play alot of different genres aswell

User Info Menu

Never said the buy was abd - just nothing special. All I meant by comment about your drum teacher is that if he thinks he is fast then he needs to start looking around - there are guys faster. Like I said, I haven't heard anything that a thousand other metal drummers couldn't do

User Info Menu

ohh Ic what you mean now, yea im sure he knows some faster drummer, we would just get into conversations about fast drummers and how you get that fast ect. and we would always joke how dragon force must be on crack because of their speed lol, but i agree, there are faster drummers out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    we would always joke how dragon force must be on crack because of their speed
    i agree
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

:d