Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Loud to be enjoyable?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Too Loud to be enjoyable?

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    How do you dampen down the drums? You mean just by playing softer?

I may try a few wall rugs or blankets but funds are kind of low right now so probably not gonna happen for sat.

I have also thought about re-rings to put on the toms and snare..hate the sound but for a small cement area probably better for the night
    Yeah re-rings, or a little tissue and tape. Your drums may sound brillant in one room but if youre in a real ringy bouncy room you need to control the room or the kit.
    If you want your guitar player to turn down, put his amp on a stand so its right by his ear, trust me he'll turn down.

User Info Menu

3 words

Play like professionals

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    The answer is easy. Tell the guitarist to turn it down and play with the band. Not above it. We all know he's the LEAD GUITARIST. I'll never understand what makes a seemingly normal person elevate himself to wannabe godlike status just because they are playing a guitar.
    Too right.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

If a guitarist is playing on a completely different volume level it's basically like he's playing by himself, no real band interaction is possible if they can't hear themselves too. Depending on the room someone's going to have to make some adjustments to how loud they are playing. Loud sucks for small rooms, and sometimes medium ones too. It brings out the echo, and can damage hearing given enough exposure. So in a smaller room it's really not necessary to fire up your stack to 11, or bring your 50 ply maple snare to practice - you gotta work with your environment and everyone in that environment as well. Play together or play alone.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

went pretty good, hung up a few old moving blankets from u-haul and tried our best to keep one of the guitarists in-line. He kept trying to turn up but the other guitar player and the bass player were all over him about it. People had a blast, dance floor was pretty much packed all night and I only saw one person with ear plugs in but he is kind of a weird one anyway. I pretty much played the way I normally play although I was conscience of the snare on the back beat.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for ya, MDK.

BTW - I love your username. Truly awesome!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

+1 I'm glad to hear that the gig went well, too, MDK.

Your band proved that they're really tight, when they worked together to control the guitarist.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!