Thread: Got a set of congas

User Info Menu

Default Got a set of congas

Hi all, for my birthday today I got a set of 'eternity' congas! I am so excited about my new toy. Any suggestion from my fellow drum chatters on using my new toy? I was thinking of applying some rudiments to them which sound pretty good. What about mounting them to the set? any suggestions on that?

User Info Menu

First all, happy birthday, LW! Congrats on the cool birthday present!

Second, you're going to have to post a pic of the congas (that way, we can ooh, and ah properly ). I tried looking up the Eternity line, and I didn't find anything. Who makes them?

Thirdly, as to the use of your new toys, use of rudiments, and mounting suggestions . . . . . . . . . . . I got nothin'. Sorry!

Have fun figuring everything out, LW!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your birthday well wishes PB! This proves how amateur I am with these things, they are actually Bongos (sorry BongoBro and not Congas Ok, here a link to them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-ETE...QQcmdZViewItem

User Info Menu

Those look pretty cool, LW! When I was a kid (a couple of years ago), my folks got me a set of bongos for my birthday (after I had played with a cousin's congas). I had a great time with those bongos. I hope you have as much fun, and more! Again, happy birthday!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Got a set of congas (actually, bongos!)

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Hi all, for my birthday today I got a set of 'eternity' congas! I am so excited about my new toy. Any suggestion from my fellow drum chatters on using my new toy? I was thinking of applying some rudiments to them which sound pretty good. What about mounting them to the set? any suggestions on that?
    Hey, livewire! congrats on your new toy (and don't feel bad, mate--you'd be amazed how many people confuse my congas with my bongos, even when I'm playin' them both)!

Actually, applying the rudiments is a good place to start, since they apply to bongos and congas as much as they do to snares and toms.

If you have access to a drum shop near you, man, there are several good bongo books available. Mel Bay has a book titled "Fun with Bongos" that is a good overview of the basics. There is an older book from Ted Reed called "Fundamentals of Bongos and Congas" (originally published in 1961) which was the first bongo book I used...also a good starter book. You may also find some info through drumbum, of course!

But try playing them to your favorite tunes, too...

Check the Percussion section, too, since we have a thread up about mounting hand drums to a drum kit...

Again, congrats--and big fives to another bongo brother!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

there are lots of different sounds available with a pair of bongos. start by figuring out what they are. such as differences in sound between a cupped hand and a flat palm, and slaping the rim for higher notes and such. once you are comfy with the sounds you can apply the rudiments to different types of strokes.

thats what i do anyway.

User Info Menu

Cool Got a set of congas

to expand on funky's suggestion, use the heel of your left hand (or the base of your left thumb) to hold down and stretch the head of the smaller drum for a higher-pitched "pop" or crack" when you slap it with the right...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes guys, very much appreciated. This may sound like a silly question but can I use my sticks on them or can I damage them? I have noticed the sticks give get a nice sound out of them too

User Info Menu

Cool Got a set of congas

Personally, I wouldn't use sticks on bongos or congas. If you hit a bongo head or conga head with a stick with the force you'd use on a snare or tom head, the chances are good you'll break the the head or at least seriously weaken the head. If I were to use something other than my hands, I would use soft-headed mallets (like the ones you use on vibes or, as some drummers do, on cymbals or floor toms)...

Experiment with it a bit, mate, and see what works best...

Charlie