Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super stoked about an awesome used deal

User Info Menu

Default Super stoked about an awesome used deal

Hey everyone! I thought I would share my overwhelming excitement with you! As of half an hour ago, I pulled the trigger on a Sabian AAXtreme 19" China. This is the first "Pro" cymbal I will own, outside of my AA splash. The best thing about it is the price. It is in pretty great condition with logos still intact, for $120. I am incredibly excited about this. Found it in the "used" section of a popular retailer I probably (?) shouldn't mention.

I love shopping used. This will be the way most of my gear buying will be from now on. So much to save!

Anyone else get some killer deals buying used?

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Super stoked about an awesome used deal

Congrats ZK! It always feels good to something nice at a deal price.

I have bought about 90% of my music gear used. It's amazing what is available.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I do buy used often but my last 2 purchases a 19" Xplosion Fast Crash and 12" AAX Mini China are new.
    A lot of people already know about GC and their used section if that is where you got it.
    I recently got an 18" Sabian HHX Evolution Crash for $149 plus tax and shipping. I couldn't count how many I have bought used over the last 5 years.Not only cymbals but my pair of octobans I got for $129 plus tax and shipping.
    I bought a Tama 8x14 maple snare for $70 and a friend talked me out of it. I have had several great deals.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

What great cymbal. I really want one of those.

User Info Menu

All of my pro level cymbals were bought used. Look at the pictures real good. Request more pictures if necessary including closeups. Ask questions. Piece of cake, right? Awesome score, man. Congrats.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Awesome, congrats!

User Info Menu

It's here! Actually shipped out on Wednesday, and arrived today. Said 5-6 days for shipping, and it took one. That was a nice surprise!

Anyway, to prove it happened, here are the pics!

Mountain of Bubble Wrap:

Pretty super excited.

Logos are in pretty good shape!

Annnndd finally on the set!

Sounds incredible. So different from my old, cracked Wuhan. I will be taking care of this one!

ZK

User Info Menu

Awesome! I prefer my bigger China's to be darker sounding and my smaller ones trashy with quick decay. I got my 12" AAX China yesterday and a 19" AAX XPlosion Fast Crash last week. I bought a mix of used and new pro cymbals.It depended on if I could find them used or not and how long I could wait on getting a new cymbal.
    I don't know much about the China you bought but it looks to be in good shape. Have fun and beat that thing u! I know I am not much of a Wuhan person and won't use one. I would rather spend the cash for a pro level cymbal and it last me a lot longer then a Wuhan that may last 6-12 months.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Awesome! I prefer my bigger China's to be darker sounding and my smaller ones trashy with quick decay. I got my 12" AAX China yesterday and a 19" AAX XPlosion Fast Crash last week. I bought a mix of used and new pro cymbals.It depended on if I could find them used or not and how long I could wait on getting a new cymbal.
    I don't know much about the China you bought but it looks to be in good shape. Have fun and beat that thing u! I know I am not much of a Wuhan person and won't use one. I would rather spend the cash for a pro level cymbal and it last me a lot longer then a Wuhan that may last 6-12 months.
    Thanks! Coming up on my eventual purchase list is a mini china. I've been considering the 12" AAX, but the 14" HHX sounds pretty amazing to my ears as well. Do you feel like the 12" has enough punch to be used more as a china and less as a splash?

User Info Menu

I actually just recorded my 12" AAX China today to see how it sounded away from the kit. I think the 12" AAX is a good choice. For a 14" China I have a Sabian Evolution China and it is a great sounding China.I will shoot some video and post it of that China on Sunday. He is the link to the 12" China.It's to the left of my hats so when you see me hit that way,it's the 12" China I am hitting. http://youtu.be/Nqs-LsY2i5U
    If you are looking for a decent crash I think the Evolution crashes sound great as well as the 18" AAX XPlosion Fast Crashes. I haven't used a crash bigger then an 18 until I grabbed the 19" last week and I feel it's border line of being to "clangy" when sitting behind the kit,but sounded good in the video I shot today.
    This is how I have the 12" China sitting.I am out of room and need to make some for 1 more mini China and 2 more splashes. Thinking of getting a 10" HHX and a 7" HHX or 8" AAX not sure yet.
    Last edited by Shawn76; 03-28-2013 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice buy. I had a 17" AAXtreme china for a while and really liked the sound. Unfortunately that one ended up with a crack (well, it started rattling at least) but I couldn't locate it to drill it. It was already used before I got it so I guess it was played pretty hard because I only used it every once in a while for a few hits.

As far as used stuff, the Zildjian K 10" splash I have was only $40 and it's in pretty good shape. Same with a set of concert toms w/ stand, $40. I basically get everything I can used now if it's available in good condition. GC is the place to go for stuff like this but make sure to call or email about the shipping, sometimes the estimate is $10-$15 more than it should be.

User Info Menu

I recorded both China's only in this video for you to hear them both.
    http://youtu.be/Zz2tx0FNWCg

User Info Menu

To me those sound like they go together very well.

User Info Menu

Ooh I'm loving the 14" to be honest. Great amount of trashiness. Thanks for putting it up. Now I want one of those, too!

User Info Menu

They do go together well. Reason I won't send it back to Sabian since it has a few flaws,nothing major to me.
    I had the same 14" before and packed it wrong in the cymbal bag and cracked it. I liked it enough to get another. I've seen them for $80-$120 used in GC used section, and that's where I grabbed mine from. I also have 2 cymbal bag,1 for the China's one for everything else,if it fits now. I did notice the cymbal had an inch long crack for nearly a year before it started getting worse so i gave it to a friend and he still uses it. Cracked China's are ok for a while,makes the a bit more trashy sounding.
    Glad i was able to help you decide which to get. The 12" is my first China that i use that isn't an HH or HHX and I like it.

User Info Menu

Also I don't use Wuhan China's. I would rather buy 1 cymbal I like the sound of and not worry about it breaking to fast rather then having to keep buying Wuhan ones. I know several drummers like them and swear by them,but i just don't like how trashy they sound. A little to much for me.

User Info Menu

How were they packed in the bag when your old china cracked? I have 2 bags but 1 is only for storage of extra cymbals. If I need a china for something I just put it on top of the other cymbals in the main section of my travel bag, or behind all the splashes in the other pocket if it is the 12" one. I haven't had any problems yet so I'm not sure how it cracked on you.

User Info Menu

Zk, love to see the excitement in your face..nice score..I keep telling my wife I NEED a china cymbal...but with me not playing in a band she always seems to win the argument
    darn!!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    How were they packed in the bag when your old china cracked? I have 2 bags but 1 is only for storage of extra cymbals. If I need a china for something I just put it on top of the other cymbals in the main section of my travel bag, or behind all the splashes in the other pocket if it is the 12" one. I haven't had any problems yet so I'm not sure how it cracked on you.
    It was packed right,the bag fell and crushed it since it was the smallest cymbal besides the splash.Also the shape of it didn't helps matters any.I always packed towards the front of my bag and when it fell over,the weight of all the other cymbals put a crack in the bow of the cymbal. So I picked up a cheap bag for the China's.I don't have to worry about the weight problem since there are only 5 cymbals in the bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Zk, love to see the excitement in your face..nice score..I keep telling my wife I NEED a china cymbal...but with me not playing in a band she always seems to win the argument
    darn!!
    I don't play in a band either and my wife doesn't say anything about buying cymbals or whatever for the drums. As long as the bills are paid I am free to do whatever I want with my spare cash. I also think that since I have a decent paying job,that helps since she doesn't have much coming out of her paychecks,I pay most of everything.

User Info Menu

Well, i got to thinking...and you inspired me to pull the trigger...bought a A custom 18" china last night...oh well G.A.S.pain relieved ..Pics when it gets here...now for a stand!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China

The Zildjian League

BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Well, i got to thinking...and you inspired me to pull the trigger...bought a A custom 18" china last night...oh well G.A.S.pain relieved ..Pics when it gets here...now for a stand!
    Let that A Custom get good and dirty,don't clean it. A friend has one I found for $90 3 years ago and it sounds a lot better now then it did when I first found it.Has a little bit of a darker sound and not so bright and ear piercing.Maybe it's just me and my hate for China's that are overly loud and trashy.

User Info Menu

Thanks Shawn for the advice...this is my first china....ever...there were lots to consider but i have a love for Zildjian..and the A's... had to keep the continuity..you know.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China

The Zildjian League

BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks Shawn for the advice...this is my first china....ever...there were lots to consider but i have a love for Zildjian..and the A's... had to keep the continuity..you know.
    Zildjians are a great choice,I started out with Sabian and found cymbals that sounded good to my ears. I find the A Custom crashes a bit to thick for me and the fast crashes didn't sound much better.I mix different lines of Sabians in my setup as you can see because I go for a certain sound.Dark China's,Bright crashes is what I mainly stick to.
    Also just to pass along,I had the 12" AAX China out tonight along with the rest of my kit and being that the kick drum was the only mic used,the 12" didn't cut through whatsoever.The 14" HHX Evolution China on the other hand was doing a pretty good job of cutting through the mix.
    I did get up and play a few songs,my usual songs I do with this band,Highway to Hell and Comfortably Numb.My back was sore when I done both songs from all the work with moving and setting up the drums,but I think I done ok on Highway to Hell.I lost time a few times on Comfortably Numb since there was no monitor to hear the rest of the band. Here's Highway to Hell.
    http://youtu.be/Dqf1FcyzJLM
    I tried to throw the rest of them off towards the end but they caught on to me quick! The guitar player asked why I am not in a band since I am pretty decent on drums and I explained to him that the money just isn't there like 20 years ago.I make more at my regular job,hence why my kit got so big for. 20 years ago around here,the bars would book a band for Thursday-Saturday,now you are lucky to get 2-3 gigs a weekend and have to travel to different cities in order to do so. If it paid better and my back could handle moving the kit all the time,I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to join a band.
    I have fun playing when I go see them and that keeps me happy so it all works out for the best.

User Info Menu

Me too Shawn..but I am toying with the idea of starting a band to play mostly 60's and some early 70's music ( to include Motown sound )so as to be ready for all the baby boomers that will live in 55 and older communities that have events..kinda of a built in crowd that does NOT stay up past midnight..now I am very close to living in that community structure myself..time will tell. can't wait to hear the China and see where I can use it..it will be my second effects cymbal as long as you call a 10" splash a effect. later
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride