Thread: Awesome 6yo playing Hot for Teacher

User Info Menu

Default Awesome 6yo playing Hot for Teacher

Source: Huffington Post

Meet Avery Molek, a 6-year-old drummer who's currently experiencing his 15 minutes of YouTube fame. In a video making the rounds online this week, the tiny drummer is shown shredding his way through Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher," barely missing a beat as he plays the classic song like a pro.

Molek has been playing the drums since he was four years old and in just two years he's played over 15 shows spanning four different states, wowing crowds with his prodigious love of Kiss and other hard rock bands. According to his Facebook, the munchkin musician has also embarked on a tour in his homestate of Pennsylvania. He's already giving Mr. Alex Van Halen a run for his money!

Although we are loving Molek's intense drumming session, we can't help but think his song choice is a little, erm, mature for his age. We bet the first grader's elementary school teacher was sufficiently weirded out by the viral ode to education.

Pretty Darn good for a six year old kid!

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Awesome 6yo playing Hot for Teacher

That's a 34 year old midget.

User Info Menu

Agreed. I had this on my Facebook feed the other day - that kid is damn good for his age!

When I see these videos of kids doing amazing things with instruments, competencies way ahead of their ages it always makes me wonder a few things. When did they start? How much is natural, how much is trained? Did the parents push? Do they make them practice for hours every day or is this just truly all natural talent and love of the instrument?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Agreed. I had this on my Facebook feed the other day - that kid is damn good for his age!

When I see these videos of kids doing amazing things with instruments, competencies way ahead of their ages it always makes me wonder a few things. When did they start? How much is natural, how much is trained? Did the parents push? Do they make them practice for hours every day or is this just truly all natural talent and love of the instrument?
    You bring up some good points. Could be just raw natural talent. I mean, look at Buddy Rich as an example. He was a band leader by the age of 12.

Ya never know!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post

Good points to bring up. Is it all talent and desire at that early age? Or are the parents pushing him along for whatever reason? In any event, he's awesome already. If he sticks with it and progresses along, we have witnessed a beginning here. In any event, I subscribed!
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I thought I was young when I started playing drums at 10.

I just wonder how many musicians that start at such a early stage in their life, stick with it.

I was in grammar school with a kid who was a piano "prodigy", in that he was playing classical concertos at 8-9 years old.

Long story short, I bumped into him a couple of years after I got out of the service, and in the course of the conversation, I asked about the piano. He told me that he hadn't played in over 10 years, that he just got bored with it.

User Info Menu

The kid even has his own website with covers he's done. http://www.averymolek.com/

For a kid to be 6 years old, and have chops like that, I'm pretty impressed. I know some adults that can't even play that well. All I can say is, good for him. I hope he goes far.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I thought I was young when I started playing drums at 10.

I just wonder how many musicians that start at such a early stage in their life, stick with it.

I was in grammar school with a kid who was a piano "prodigy", in that he was playing classical concertos at 8-9 years old.

Long story short, I bumped into him a couple of years after I got out of the service, and in the course of the conversation, I asked about the piano. He told me that he hadn't played in over 10 years, that he just got bored with it.
    Dude in church its normal for most to start at 3. I did, my uncle did, and most of my friends did.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I know some adults that can't even play that well..
    Yup, i'm one .

gotta agree with Rick, 36 yo midget.

Just amazing.
    Joe

User Info Menu

Yeah, I watched this vid last night on YT. Amazing skills for a youngster his age.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Wow, just wow. Great video Markadiddle.

User Info Menu

Yep, that boy's amazing alright, and even though it looks like he's had plenty of instruction, he's also got oodles of natural talent.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I can play better than him. Barely.

User Info Menu

Simply amazing to see young lads with that talent. I actually learned something watching that video! Awesomeness!
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

damn..... I feel I want to give up after seeing this.

User Info Menu

I learned that I should just give up....lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    I'll say an amen to that Domenic!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I learned that I should just give up....lol.
    Why give up? This kid inspired me to play better! It's very rare that I get inspired by a six year old kid. I just keep thinking, where will he be in 10 or 20 years?

The kid has some natural G-d given talent. No reason to give up because of that. Get inspired!!
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 03-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I wasn't serious of course. :-) Just sheer talent from a young age.

Puts it into perspective when you're 4.5 times his age (in my case) and just beginning.

User Info Menu

Not to take anything away from this kid, but I know a kid this age who's waaaay better (which i know his hard to believe).This kid really does play better than most grown men I know and I often learn stuff from him. Part of the reason he's so good is cuz his dad is really good too and works with him a lot. This kid gets offered gigs that most professionals get offered and completely blows my mind to know that anyone can be that good at such a young age.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Why give up? This kid inspired me to play better! It's very rare that I get inspired by a six year old kid. I just keep thinking, where will he be in 10 or 20 years?

The kid has some natural G-d given talent. No reason to give up because of that. Get inspired!!
    Then one day I heard "Reach for it, mister." I spun around, and there I was face to face with a six year old kid. Well, I just threw my guns down and walked away. Little #$$&! shot me in the a$#. So I limped to the nearest saloon, crawled inside a whiskey bottle, and I've been there ever since.
    Jim, The Waco Kid
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!