Thread: Acoustic to electric Conversion triggers

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic to electric Conversion triggers

Did anybody out there use triggers to convert an acoustic kit to electric without drilling holes and what brand did you use and how they compare to others

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic to electric Conversion triggers

Quote Originally Posted by hemiboy View Post
    Did anybody out there use triggers to convert an acoustic kit to electric without drilling holes and what brand did you use and how they compare to others
    you dont need to drill anything to accomplish this.

Check out Aquarians inHead trigger or DDrum Redshot triggers or even Roland Triggers...

triggers just sit on the drum and pickup hits which feed into a brain, like the same brain you would use with an electronic kit. thats basically it. The Aquarian inHead trigger is a little different though, look it up. The entire HEAD is the trigger which allows it to work different and supposedly much better.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Ah a conversion project, how fun! I actually have my kit hooked up to them, it wasn't that hard despite what I thought originally. There's several options available to someone planning an acoustic to electronic project, some require more work like you're thinking and some do not. I wanted to keep the original feel of the acoustic kit as much as possible, so what I ended up doing was getting a few muting pads for cymbals, drumdial triggers, remo muff'l(sound control), td-7 module, some cables, and a bit of duct tape.

The cymbal pads kept the cymbals quiet while the triggers were duct-taped to the underside of the cymbal. Remo muff'l sound controls were placed under the actual head, they are a ring shaped plastic tray which holds foam circles and they work effectively for not a lot of money! They take all overtones away, instead offering a thumpy thud like sound instead, perfect if you're further than 15 feet(best estimate) but you will need mesh for anyone closer than that. I got a pack of cheapie whirlwind cables cause i'm not travelling the kit out anywhere, they've held up pretty well thus far.

As far as modules it's preference, some are better than others just gotta shop shop shop and research each you're interested in. However, if you hook your rig up to a computer with VST software like BFD2 or AddictiveDrums - the sounds become better, the settings become better, it makes for a far more realistic experience than most modules provide as standalone solutions. It does depend on how much you want to spend on your project, but mine didn't cost that much in comparison.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks, but I am definitely going to need mesh heads, though . I live in a second floor condo neighbors all over, under and me. I found some triggers from drum tec called ddt truss triggers that mount across the rim with a cone in the center and a separate rim trigger , expensive but looks like the way to go for me and i found a ludwig tom used that matches my current kit that will give me dual bass toms. Should be fun1

User Info Menu

Thanks I already have a module ,a Roland Td 30, just wanted to see what you guys were triggering the drum triggers out there with in case my Td 30 isn't good with some of them?

User Info Menu

Whoa that is a very very nice choice! I'm sure drumdial triggers will be compatible with your device(if you choose to use these, they are the most inexpensive and effective I could find that's why I suggest them), because i'm using the same brand module on my rig. Although an older unit, I don't forsee any problems if set up correctly. Another consideration is to make a riser that will take out some of the vibration from travelling downward into the ceiling of the downstairs tenants.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-31-2013 at 01:33 AM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    you dont need to drill anything to accomplish this.

Check out Aquarians inHead trigger or DDrum Redshot triggers or even Roland Triggers...

triggers just sit on the drum and pickup hits which feed into a brain, like the same brain you would use with an electronic kit. thats basically it. The Aquarian inHead trigger is a little different though, look it up. The entire HEAD is the trigger which allows it to work different and supposedly much better.
    Stay away from Ddrum triggers wires are to thin and to many problems with them

User Info Menu

I used a set of cheap drums, use good quality Pearl mesh head on the snare, and my own DIY mesh heads on the others. You might want to consider using your ekit on a platform, supported by tennis balls or use some fancy noise suppression software, which you will need if you are in a condo to suppress the kick for the neighbors. I have a 22" bass, 13" snare, 12" tom and 16" floor. The triggers are conical in shape, placed atop Roland sized piezos or triggers, with two simple wires, you hook the red and black up to a 1/4" jack - Roland/Yamaha you hook up one way, Alesis you hook up another. Check out eBay.

Mine have worked well but my DIY snare can be twitchy with press rolls, so I use a factory eSnare for those, which are tap tappy in sound and might annoy the neighbors. The problem with using a good set of drums as an e kit is, it is not an e kit. So you have to put real skins on your sonic instruments again, and tune them, which I imagine would be a pain in the bass and ties up your regular sonic kit from being used "as a regular sonic kit". Tonight I can practice the eKit then pack the sonic kit up in the car and use it Tuesday without retuning.

I took a sawzall to the cheap kit to make the kick and whole set fit on the platform - and allow the tom to fit around the Alesis hardware - it was epic Keith Moon - but I did it sober.

Last edited by Rickkus; 03-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Are these drumdial triggers rim mounted or center cone mounted on a -criss cross strap or a metal truss and I am looking for dual zone , what are these.

Thanks In Advance,
    Hemiboy

User Info Menu

Thanks I will probably use the new beaterless kick triggers from Triggera called Kriggs I already own a pair and I stored my old kick in the storage locker of my condo. I am going to build a riser of some sort when I do the conversion

User Info Menu

Drumdial triggers are rim mounted, the better ones come with guards to lock the trigger down, but you can also get other types without the guards for a little less money. I use the ones with guards for my drums, and the ones without for my cymbals - held down by duct tape.

I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments