Thread: meinl or sabian?

User Info Menu

Default meinl or sabian?

i currently play sabian cymbals, they're the best in my opinion, but i've been looking into some other brands and Meinl cymbals caught my eyes, im not saying im switching or anything but alot of my favorite drummers play them and i seem to like the sound. Same story for Sabian. advice anyone? do any of you use them? reccommedations? things like that

GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

Poo.

Zildjian all the way.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

sabian xs20's are what i'v gt. crash and ride. and paiste pst3's. splash and china. although i'd rather have all xs20's. i have to say the only cymbals i would say i hate the solid brass out of, are sabian b2's and solar's. i just hate the sound from b2's. solars were my first cymbals. had them for 6 years and they aren't cutting it any more.

tama warlord exotix 2007 is my most wanted kit though. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

i use to learn on sabianns at school. There awesome cymbals and i love them.

But for what i play zildjans and paiste ! Woot! :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

when it comes to high end gear i can never honestly say one brand is "better" than another. meinl is getting alot of notice and hasn't ONLY made its name from new popular endorsers. they do make some beautiful sounding cymbals. i have been liking the byzance line for awhile, and now that they are making lighter weight mb20cymbals i think i might have to check those out too.

User Info Menu

well just to let you guys know, i dont like PAISTE or ZILDJIN(typo), they dont fit my style personalty, but i use the sabian B8 pros,and AAX series for those who'd like to know. Now im not gonna change anything or think about changing until i've tried everything in the SABIAN line, so it'll take me awhile, but i have been looking into the MEINL cymbals and their looking very good their byancze and mb20 cymbals sound and look increadible, but like i said im sticking with sabian until i've used at least most of their lines
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

Ive never heard the Meinl in person so I know zip about them but IMO the only way to buy cymbals is if you hear them played in person. I would have never bought anything in the B8 line but when I heard some B8 pro hats in person I realized how clean they sounded so thats what I have now. Cymbals are all a toss up for what your taste is. I mix and match all the time, Im not a pro sponsored drummer so who cares? Pick and choose the pieces you like!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    when it comes to high end gear i can never honestly say one brand is "better" than another. meinl is getting alot of notice and hasn't ONLY made its name from new popular endorsers. they do make some beautiful sounding cymbals. i have been liking the byzance line for awhile, and now that they are making lighter weight mb20cymbals i think i might have to check those out too.
    I totally agree.....when you get into higher end stuff most of the time it's just personal preference. Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, and Meinl are considered "mainstream" companies if you will because of all the lines and price levels they offer. On the other hand there's other companies that only make high end cymbals. Not something you'd traditionally find in a Guitar Center or at your local store. Blessings...........

User Info Menu

Default Re: meinl or sabian?

Don't fix yourself into one cymbal company. Each company has some good stuff and bad stuff. So when it comes down to it, it's all about personal preferance. If you ask me Meinl and Zildjain is the way to go but I know tons of people that think sabian is better....but who cares. In music it's all about what you like most. Not everyone else.

User Info Menu

who drinks pepsi, and who drinks coke.

thats the question here.

Im a zildjian guy cause they`re perfect for my genre. If i didnt like them id find something else.

If you like the sabians, go for them. You get what you pay for in cymbals.

good luck!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

It all depends how they sound to YOU,not anyone else.We all have different tastes so what sounds good to you may sound not so good to someone else,I bought a stagg SH splash a while ago,it was only £25 but it sounded better than my AAX,but many people wont use stagg because they are'nt very well known.These are hand hammered cymbals.
    Mapex m birch,black forest cherry,sabian,zildjian cymbals,big dog,pearl pedals,yamaha electric kit.

IL DUCE Guest

I've got both brands Sabian I've got a few AA's and HHX high hats I like sabian. I also have recently purchased my first Meinl MB20 medium/heavy crash 16" The cymbal looks and sounds great. Both fit together quite nicely. I think if it came down to it I'd go with another Meinl. For me playing something a little different than everyone else is kinda cool. However I wouldn't play a camber or union cymbal to be different. The quality and sound gotta be priority and meinl sure has that with plenty to spare.